What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day, after a heavy rain I walk past my Suburban and it had water in the passenger side headlight. I went on Ebay and searched out a replacement light assembly and found what APPEARED to be a GM replacement headlight. I specifically did not want Eagle Eyes because they are trash. I bought this one because it didn't say Eagle Eye anywhere on the description. It shows up at my house. I'm pulling up to the house and I can see Eagle Eyes emblazoned across the box from the street. I was immediately displeased.
I went inside and looked again at the part I bought. NOWHERE does it say Eagle Eye but I missed that it said manufactured in Taiwaan. I guess the guy got me fair and square. At least I only paid 64 bucks for it.
So my question is, should I hammer him on the feedback, or let it go? I feel a little bit like I've been had.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
The other day, after a heavy rain I walk past my Suburban and it had water in the passenger side headlight. I went on Ebay and searched out a replacement light assembly and found what APPEARED to be a GM replacement headlight. I specifically did not want Eagle Eyes because they are trash. I bought this one because it didn't say Eagle Eye anywhere on the description. It shows up at my house. I'm pulling up to the house and I can see Eagle Eyes emblazoned across the box from the street. I was immediately displeased.
I went inside and looked again at the part I bought. NOWHERE does it say Eagle Eye but I missed that it said manufactured in Taiwaan. I guess the guy got me fair and square. At least I only paid 64 bucks for it.
So my question is, should I hammer him on the feedback, or let it go? I feel a little bit like I've been had.

Buyer beware. Let it go or it is defect in some way from shipping and return it, tit for tat.

No. In act, it was packed awesome. They could have dropped it from a plane onto my lawn and it probably would have survived.
Yeah... I should have been more careful. Doesn't happen to me a lot but it does from time to time.

Did he specifically say "This is not an Eagle Eyes brand headlight" in his description or correspondence? If not,then you got what you paid for. But if he did,just send him a message saying you didn't receive the product as advertised and that you'll be shipping it back for a refund at his expense. Never leave negative feedback without trying to resolve the problem first.

Really, eBay's time as a reliable source of replacement auto parts is long over. There are better places to buy headlamps; use them, or if you must buy from eBay, buy pulls from wreckers, rather than new parts. Even new CIEBE, HELLA, etc branded parts on eBay are most often fakes and counterfeits.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Really, eBay's time as a reliable source of replacement auto parts is long over. There are better places to buy headlamps; use them, or if you must buy from eBay, buy pulls from wreckers, rather than new parts. Even new CIEBE, HELLA, etc branded parts on eBay are most often fakes and counterfeits.

Good point

I would certainly contact the seller and express my displeasure. I do shop on eBay and freely admit that it's buyer beware...IF you don't know exactly what you're after and what it's worth, and read EVERYTHING the seller posts, you should not be on eBay...there is a lot of #### there...Nevertheless, I doubt eBay management wants the reputation of being like a stealership. Is the seller rated top and is their feedback score in 5 or 6 digits? Do they offer returns?
I generally have good experiences on eBay; I consider myself a pretty careful shopper, but I've had a few bad experiences also. I once bought a used front grille that looked great in the pictures, I swear they shipped me a different one. I sent them good quality pics of what I received and messaged the seller that I would open a case based on item received not as described. They weren't very quick about it but did refund my money. BTW, I share your sentiments regarding replacing OEM GM headlights.
Do whatever lets you sleep at night. Best of luck to you!

You should have contacted the seller prior to purchase. You can still contact them now and tell them what you just said here and see if they will allow a return (return policy is in the listing), although you may have to pay return shipping and restock fee, which many times makes return shipping not worth it.

Without seeing the listing, I don't see how there was any fraud. Unless the seller specifically stated this was not an Eagle Eye or that was a GM OEM part (not GM OEM replacement, because the Eagle Eye is a OEM replacement part).

I still use e-bay for replacement parts, even headlights. E-bay lights get some butyl sealant (use for windshield replacement) around the lens to housing connection before install. Butyl is better than silicone because it remains flexible and does not separate like silicone does.

I have used aftermarket replacement lights with no trouble, though they wren't Eagle Eye. My Dak got TYC, I recall my mother's Sable also got TYC.

You guys are right. I'm just going to use it. I still believe he printed the GM part number to give the illusion it was a factory light but I honestly can't be bothered. I'm just gonna use it and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back