Removing Haze From Headlights II

I've used this method that this guy's advises and it seems to work using the Mothers Product. Ceramic coating is another step further but isn't necessary for the cleaning. Nice too because it won't harm the paint around the light so no need to tape paper etc. to prevent abrasion like other products require.

Last edited:
One thing I recently noticed is that some battery chargers have a setting for a spiral wound AGM battery (Oddesy) and a but a flat plate AGM battery (most others) use same setting as a flooded cell.

Unsure why, maybe others know.

OMG! Most of the population hasn't the tools for thIs complicated and detailed work. Most of the population don't even know how to remove the headlight assembly.

How about someone here offer a product that we can buy to apply with a rag and then wipe it off. What product removes at least some of the haze and only takes minutes for the job - not hours and lots of tools?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
OMG! Most of the population hasn't the tools for thIs complicated and detailed work. Most of the population don't even know how to remove the headlight assembly.

How about someone here offer a product that we can buy to apply with a rag and then wipe it off. What product removes at least some of the haze and only takes minutes for the job - not hours and lots of tools?

Bug spray with DEET and a soft rag.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Originally Posted by UberArchetype
Here's how it's done - acetone vapor: https://i.imgur.com/8QD3HoX.gifv

What is the device that is generating and supplying the acetone vapor?

Looks like some sort of fan-driven nozzle. Probably has a line connected to a can of acetone. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

I agree that this procedure is a little more detailed than what most want to do. Back when this came out, I requested this be stickied simply because it is such a good procedure for those who do wish to go this far. There certainly are a lot of quick fixes out there, with varying degrees of success, but something like this will be a much more durable and "correct" way of doing it.

Easy procedures are everywhere in search engines. The only other way I've been able to find to do it correctly, aside from Trav's procedure, is complete replacement. This is why I remember sealed beams so fondly is so many threads.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by snarl

Bug spray with DEET and a soft rag.

Firs understand what exactly happens with the bug spray method and then decide intelligently if you want go that approach.

Colgate toothpaste. And microfiber cloth. And bottle of water. And 5 minutes of time per headlight.

I've tried every headlight restoration strategy mentioned on Youtube and haven't been very successful with any of them.
Toothpaste, rubbing compound and wet sanding definitely help....but none make them 'like new' as claimed.
Acetone is not a good idea either...

Last edited:
I got "good enough" results with the 3m kit and the clear coat wipes you can get now.

I used a corded drill, but didn't go full gorilla. The kit recommends a cordless as they spin at slower speeds.

The before and after for my 99 Grand Marquis earlier this year.

Before:

[Linked Image]

After:

[Linked Image]

About 30 minutes per headlight, IIRC.

I've used one of those on my parent's van some 10 years ago. It looked great for the first few years but the coating doesn't really hold up. It started to yellow.

I did what Trav outlined but with spray 2K clearcoat and the lights look much better but I can see crazing from the base polycarbonate. They need new headlights within two-three years and OEM ones too. I don't trust Depo or TYC when it comes to photometrics.

lots of cheap stuff works! a private detailer told me to use a 50-50 mix of liquid tide + water for my very light car upholstery spray on + scrub both ways with a soft sponge then vac dry. with foam being todays car seats drying takes time-sun+or fans especially in not summer hot. headlight detailing is needed by many + my 30 thou 11 frontier is one, got a kit but various vids are very informative.

Many people may tell you a specific product that works well, or a little faster, but often it's just splitting hairs. If you want a simple, time tested way to restore and maintain them it is not so different than refinishing and protecting anything else.

You consider the material density and amount that needs removed, and select the appropriate abrasive. For many that will just be a fine grit of wet/dry sandpaper, then switching to a finer still grade, used wet so it doesn't clog up and because this is plastic, you want to keep heat down, so if you are going to use motorized tools, don't stay in one spot for too long but this is entirely do-able by hand with no tools. Do not apply a lot of pressure with the lower grit # sandpaper, expecially not in hot weather, to avoid getting abrasive particles embedded in the plastic. More passes instead of more pressure. Mask (tape) around the headlights to preserve the surrounding areas.

After the finest sandpaper, use a polish. It could be plastic polish. It could be metal polish, if fine enough grit to be designed to truly polish. It could even be toothpaste if you want to get more exercise polishing longer or are using a power tool. A toothbrush can also come in handy if your lens has markings or other details molded into it. Final step is apply a polishing wax or sealant type product, same as designed for paint. Any cheap product will work and as on paint, some will last longer than others with sealant lasting longer than wax.

Once you have done this, the first and only time after waiting too long, from then on you can keep up with the rate of decay, can quickly and
easily touch up the surface by simply hand-applying another coat of polishing wax or sealant after a car wash.

So there you have it, it only takes minutes to hand finish and seal your headlights with inexpensive materials found at any hardware and automotive store, and these same materials are versatile for many other uses too, a pack of good (I prefer 3M) sandpaper and polish would last decades for several vehicles if you don't have any other use for it, though some sealants will shelf rot before then.

A clearcoat paint will last longer than a wax/sealant if you did nothing to maintain them, but then when it degrades it takes longer to refinish again to get rid of the clearcoat paint and reapply, than if you just do as mentioned above, put more polishing wax on every now and then after a car wash instead.

Last edited:
This was 2-3 years ago but I had good success with wet sanding and then working up to different compounds and then polish.
Screenshot_256.jpg

Screenshot_257.jpg

Back