Thoughts on GM Ecotech engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at maybe getting another used car that would have an ecotech engine. Maybe a HHR.
Any people with experience/problems with them? Good comments about them?

I am a laid back driver.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Looking at maybe getting another used car that would have an ecotech engine. Maybe a HHR.

I am a laid back driver.

Recalls, recalls and more recalls. Ask me how i know

The Hippie Hot Rod! I recall (lol) they are decent engines with a few known issues that have mostly been addressed with TSB's.

Originally Posted By: car51

I am a laid back driver.

Recalls, recalls and more recalls. Ask me how i know

How do you know? And examples please.

jk_636 knows a lot about them
27.gif

Had a HHR. No motor problems. 32 MPG. Car was otherwise mediocre. AC powerful thanks to narrow windows and heavy tint.

I was impressed by the drive-by-wire throttle and its integration with the auto trans. Seamless downshifts when I nailed it.

Lots of front end issues, brakes and wheel bearings like any other GM lump.

Don't pay over $2k.

GM sabotaged the luggage compartment with plastic lumps that intrude on space. Wife can't fit a saxophone in its case in the way-back. Her prius has more room.

At least they're better than the PT Cruiser.
lol.gif

You could get a cobalt or late cavalier, but again, keep it cheap.

I am a laid back driver.

There are a few different versions of the Ecotech installed in HHR's.

'06-'08 L61 2.2L Non-VVT......Probably the best of the Ecotech's
'06-'08 LE5 2.4L HO Non-VVT....Don't have a lot of experience with these

'09-'12 LE8 2.2L VVT....VVT solenoid & VVT phaser issues, If the timing chains gets a little wear...It will set cam/crank correlation codes.
'09-'12 LE9 2.4L VVT....See LE8.

'08-'10 LNF 2.0L VVT/DI/Turbo....Not worth mentioning as they are rare & still sought after.

I have several family members that have/had L61's & they have been great little engines! The Ecotech's I see at work have in general been abused, When you open them up....You can tell the oil wasn't changed very often!

The timing chain tensioner can be a maintenance item though they are easy to change, Timing chain guides can break...DO NOT buy a car with a noisy timing chain!!!

The front suspension on HHR/Cobalt is weak, Parts are cheap though.
Electric power steering on HHR/Cobalt is weak, GM will replace the Assist Motor at NO charge for the life of the vehicle.

I have a 15,14, and 12 year old L61 ecotec engines.

What would you like to know?
smile.gif

Engines have been solid for me....

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

I am a laid back driver.

There are a few different versions of the Ecotech installed in HHR's.

'06-'08 L61 2.2L Non-VVT......Probably the best of the Ecotech's
'06-'08 LE5 2.4L HO Non-VVT....Don't have a lot of experience with these

'09-'12 LE8 2.2L VVT....VVT solenoid & VVT phaser issues, If the timing chains gets a little wear...It will set cam/crank correlation codes.
'09-'12 LE9 2.4L VVT....See LE8.

'08-'10 LNF 2.0L VVT/DI/Turbo....Not worth mentioning as they are rare & still sought after.

I have several family members that have/had L61's & they have been great little engines! The Ecotech's I see at work have in general been abused, When you open them up....You can tell the oil wasn't changed very often!

The timing chain tensioner can be a maintenance item though they are easy to change, Timing chain guides can break...DO NOT buy a car with a noisy timing chain!!!

The front suspension on HHR/Cobalt is weak, Parts are cheap though.
Electric power steering on HHR/Cobalt is weak, GM will replace the Assist Motor at NO charge for the life of the vehicle.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I have a 15,14, and 12 year old L61 ecotec engines.

What would you like to know?
smile.gif

Engines have been solid for me....

Your overall thoughts on mpg, noise, power, maintenance issues

I have an 06 Malibu with the L61 2.2 non VVT engine. 210,000 miles, burns 1 Qt/4,000 miles. Only maintenance was changing the timing chain tensioner at 130,000 miles. Engine is noisy and buzzy under load with only adequate power. Fuel mileage is better than expected. 4 speed transmission is out dated. At slow highway speeds [55 mph] a downshift is needed to climb hills and there is a big difference between 4th and 3rd gears, this is obtrusive. At higher speeds no bothersome downshifts occur. I would buy another but this is an economy engine.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I have an 06 Malibu with the L61 2.2 non VVT engine. 210,000 miles, burns 1 Qt/4,000 miles. Only maintenance was changing the timing chain tensioner at 130,000 miles. Engine is noisy and buzzy under load with only adequate power. Fuel mileage is better than expected. 4 speed transmission is out dated. At slow highway speeds [55 mph] a downshift is needed to climb hills and there is a big difference between 4th and 3rd gears, this is obtrusive. At higher speeds no bothersome downshifts occur. I would buy another but this is an economy engine.

I have been looking at/thinking about buying a Malibu for for my son as his first vehicle. Glad I read about the 2.4s.

From what some on here have told me, if I am thinking about a Malibu, it is best to stick with a 2008 and up model. Prior ones had too many issues and recalls.

I am also still looking at 2006 and up Impalas as well either with a 3.5 or the 3.9. I have read/heard good/decent things about them but I am having a hard time finding one.

Info here on timing chains.

AIP3252
MODELS:
2006-2007 CHEVROLET COBALT, COBALT SS
2006-2007 CHEVROLET HHR
2006-2007 CHEVROLET MALIBU
2007 PONTIAC G5
2006-2007 PONTIAC G6
2006 PONTIAC PURSUIT(CANADA ONLY)
2006-2007 PONTIAC SOLSTICE
2006-2007 SATURN ION REDLINE
2007 SATURN SKY
BUILT BETWEEN 4/1/06 - 11/1/06
WITH ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ENGINES
2.0 ENGINE (VIN P - RPO LSJ)
2.2 ENGINE (VIN D OR F - RPO L61)
2.4 ENGINE (VIN B OR P - RPO LE5)
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s)
described in this PI.
CONDITION/CONCERN:
On rare occasions, a tick or rattle noise may be heard from behind the front
cover of the engine and/or pieces of a timing chain roller may be found during an
oil change. This may be the result of a timing chain concern.
Non-heat treated timing chain rollers were randomly installed in the assembly
line hoppers. He advised that this happened sometime between 4/1/06 - 11/1/06
so it can randomly affect late 2006 - early 2007 models.
RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS:
If this concern is experienced, inspect the timing chain for missing or damaged
timing chain rollers. If a missing or damaged timing chain roller is found, replace
the timing chain and gears using the part numbers currently listed in the parts
catalog.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each
step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the
remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back