Anyone use GC in a Kohler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new John Deere LT160 with a 16hp Kohler single. I'm going to use JD 10W-30 for the first change at 5 hours. I debating to try GC 0W-30 or stay with the JD 10W-30. Any advice?

GC 0W-30 is 12.1 cSt @100c and is thicker at operating temps than most standard dino 10W-30's.

Nicrfe1370 is currently running GC in his Cub Cadet with a 16hp Kohler. See his thread at the UOA section:
Cub Cadet UOA

As far as the JD 10W-30, I'd be more inclined to run a known Grp II dino oil, such as Chevron, to handle the heat load from an air cooled engine. The Chevron 10W-30 High mileage oil would also be a good candidate as this oil is 12 cSt at 100c.

Thanks for the link, that is the exact engine I have. If I could find Long Life, Delvac 1300 or Delo 400 in 10W-30, I would use it. A local distributor has Rotella 10W-30, but I have to buy 4 gallons. That would be a 5 year supply!

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
If I could find Long Life, Delvac 1300 or Delo 400 in 10W-30, I would use it.

If there is some reason you don't want to use a syn-lube, why don't you give one of the oils you mentioned in 15w-40 a shot?

If fully understand that it's not the suggested/recommended viscosity, but I've converted my family's entire lawn care "fleet" and a few friends equipment over to Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40 (all of which call for thirty weight except for a few diesel tractors) and have been very impresssed.

In regards to your application, this "fleet" includes a JD 150 and a JD 160.

With that said though, I just made the switch to Long-Life as it was something that would work in everything and standardize the "oil shelf".

I'm 100% sure GC would work great in this application!

[ July 17, 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I am running GC 0W30 in my Cub Cadet with 15 HP Kohler. It has been in there for about 15 hrs, so far. Switched from Pennz HD 30W. Piston, rod and crank are behaving themselves and staying inside the engine block.
wink.gif

I just switched my LT150 JD lawn tractor with a 15 hp Kohler engine over to GC today. I used an AC Delco PF53 filter that is about 1" longer than the John Deere filter, and 1/3 the cost.

I ran the mower for maybe 1/2 hour to get the engine warmed up, then changed the oil and filter and went back to mowing right where I'd left off. I immediately noticed I can push the mower much harder in the tall grass and not have it stall with the GC in there verses the old straight 30 weight.

I have PF53 on the ready also. I used JD 10W-30 for the first oil change and will put in GC when I store it for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back