Why can't I find a competent repair shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my 2016 Forester to a local shop for just a tire rotation, that's it.

Owner calls me and says, "you're all set, tire rotation and oil change". I'm like whoa, no oil change. He dumped my Pennzoil Platinum and Napa Gold filter and replaced with Petro Canada synthetic and a Napa Proselect.

My original request for just a tire rotation was clear in both my online request and the work order I signed.

He obviously didn't charge me for the oil change and he also didn't charge me for the tire rotation. I asked him if he could replace my Pennzoil Platinum and he said his parts supplier doesn't carry it. Which is fine, because after thinking about it, I don't want them touching the car anymore.

What are the odds they actually put a crush washer on the drain plug?

Maple Grove Automotive in Downers Grove. I know the owner personally and know him to be a straight up honest man with 40 years of experience.

I'm having a heck of a time finding replacement washers for the newer Subaru drain plugs.
Where are you guys getting yours.
I need a bunch.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what!! you mean 200ft lbs from a air impact isnt OK for all cars?????

This is exactly what I'd be checking the lugnuts for. I'll bet anything they're wrong. Also the tire pressures.

Looks like the OP updated his signature with the current oil in the car.
smile.gif

I'd run that oil at least a good 5k+ miles or one year. At least the shop owner didn't charge anything in the end.

"There's a word for that" is something an uncle of mine used to say fairly often.

While nobody here has reacted as if the world ended with this mistake, it is funny how automatically our brains take over.

I'm OK with the administrator's vouch of the mechanic's character and there's no doubt in my mind that an oil change and tire rotation is a common work order but c'mon, how dopey or disinterested can you be?

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Mistakes happen.

Yes they do but how many are you allowed to make as an aircraft mechanic? Right up there with pot being legal, how many can your pilot smoke? Mistakes are to be avoided not made IMO

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
I'm having a heck of a time finding replacement washers for the newer Subaru drain plugs.
Where are you guys getting yours.
I need a bunch.
Thanks
Try Clips&Fasteners. I get my 12mm oil plug gaskets there. You can plug in your vehicle make to facilitate seeing what they carry for your make.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Mistakes happen.

Mistakes are to be avoided not made IMO

Smoky

+1. If a shop can't get a simple request right what would you trust them to do? How many miles on the OP's PP & Gold filter? The unasked for oil change could have actually cost the OP some money if his PP oil change was recent and the combo put in was lower quality, the filter certainly is. End of the world? No. Go back? I wouldn't.

I'm quite fond of the shop in my driveway. I trusted myself with the timing chains on my XTerra and I didn't screw it up
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back