Meet Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our irreplaceable cat Rebel died just a short while ago, and while we didn't plan on getting a new cat so soon, my son and I have been going to shelters to see the available cats. A few days ago we came across one that we just could not resist. He's a four-month-old Maine Coon mix. The father is unknown since it was a hit and run. The mother is a 20 pound Main Coon. We named him Smokey because he is black with a slightly lighter charcoal chest and belly. He has a very round head and round eyes. His ears are furry and he has a very furry bottlebrush tail. Right now he looks like a small stuffed toy. Smoky only needs his rabies shots. He's a very active cat and loves jumping and chasing. He not declawed but his front claws have been trimmed a bit to make them less lethal to our furniture. Smoky is a purring machine. He purrs more than any cat I know. He even purrs when he falls asleep. After a couple minutes the purring becomes a very light snoring. When we saw him at the shelter, he really chose us rather than we chose him. I think that's the way i is supposed to be.

smoky3.jpg

smoky2.jpg

smoky1.jpg

...Best of luck.

TRUE EXPERIENCE: I read in a cat book that cats react to eye contact. One situation where that is useful information is when they're young and gently scratch you with their soft playful toenails.

They grow up thinking that's OK to do.

Upon being clawed by the little cuties remove the offending paw without pause and say, "NO". Look away from the kitten and it'll think you're really mad at it and will mend its ways quickly.

Later on, members of my social club played with the cat. She, Anna-Lisa, would soft paw them and I garnered credit as a master cat trainer.

Do that with your unbelievably cute kitten. Annie came when I called. "The Best Cat in the World" is her copy written name....not really.

I have a found cat, or, she found me. All black. She showed up mid December last, looking for food. This was when we were having night time temps in the teens. Most of her outer coat was missing, her inner coat was thin and I could see skin. She had a stick body with 4 stick legs an a thin bony tail. I have no idea how she survived. The vet said she was about 7 months old. She spent the first night on the back porch, then the next morning she was at the door asking to come in. Let her in and she stayed in until last week, now she wants out every day, but wants in at night. I named her cookie, as in one-tough-cookie. I apologize for the hijack, I just had to share. You have a special friend, enjoy her.

Maine Coon is the best except in one category, shedding. I think it is one sack car hair for one sack cat food.

Smart, loyal, fearless best hunter ever.

Rod

Originally Posted By: vavavroom
.... and while we didn't plan on getting a new cat so soon, my son and I have been going to shelters to see the available cats....

Oh no doubt you were getting a new cat. Cats, dogs, cars... if you go "just to take a look" it's just a matter of what you come home with! Good looking kitten!

Good training advice given. My BIL couldn't resist teasing 2 successive kittens and they both were terrible biters. A 20 lb. biting cat would be a problem.

Our cat knows two tricks. I put 12 pieces of Temptations beef or turkey cat treats on a small dish as her reward.

For the first trick I put the cat in the upstairs bathroom so she can't see where I hide the treat, and after hiding the treat let her out and say find it. She hunts all around the house sniffing for a scent of the treat and finds it.

For the second trick I put the treats in the living room and put the cat on the other side of the room and hold my hands out in-front of my waist with the cat to my back and the treat in-front of me. The cat walks behind me and when she gets between my feet she jumps over my hands to get to the treat. When first you show this trick to a cat you only make it walk over your hands. Each day you make the hands higher.

Very cute; he looks like the stray kitten we adopted 15 years ado- he's still healthy as can be and lives to annoy our dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back