Getting rid of fleas from car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday morning I had the unpleasant surprise of being assaulted by fleas while driving to work. No pets, but at work, I do park with the windows part open and there are bushes next to the parking spots (I've seen rabbits in those stupid bushes).
I killed 12 of them while driving to work yesterday, and 13 more last evening and this morning.
I laid some diatomaceous earth on the driver's carpet last evening.
I don't want to get any of them inside the house and start an infestation there.
Please suggest some quick working chemicals that won't damage the the car plastics, my lungs etc.

Last edited:
Some of the essential oils ... 1 Oz bottle in 16 oz spray … peppermint, eucalyptus, lemongrass,
Mixed with clean water

Last edited:
Wear a flea collar when your driving. Problem solved.
cool.gif

You have to treat your car twice. First time kills the fleas. Second time about 12-14 days later kills the new fleas that hatch from the eggs left by the first fleas.

I would use some sort of aerosol bug bomb inside the closed up car, then leave the windows open the next day.

To catch fleas I use the green masking tape, and if it's older than 1 year it's a lot stickier so they don't hop free while I'm busy doubling the tape over.

Zoecon Precor 2000 Plus Premise Spray, 16 oz.

Vacuum the carpet weekly. Probably you stepped on eggs somewhere and they hatched in the car.

Parking the car in the sun with the windows closed may get the interior hot enough to kill them.

Originally Posted By: HorseThief
Wear a flea collar when your driving. Problem solved.
cool.gif

I was going to suggest Advantage II
laugh.gif

A few years back my wife and I and HS aged daughter went Palm Springs and rented a vehicle there a Santa Fe we drove up to San diego Zoo and when we were there we noticed we had small bug bites around our ankles. That night we drove up to Santa Monica and we stopped at a store and got a bottle of Hartz flea spray and sprayed all of the carpet and seats real good that night and let vehicle sit in the hot sun all the next day at the hotel then went to a car wash and vacuumed it out very good. The fleas spray was about $5.00 for a small spray bottle. That seemed to get rid of them in a day. My guess is that the previous renter had flea ridden dogs or cats as there was some areas of pet hair. It probably takes an actual flea spray to knock them out though the hot car probably helps some. It would probably take many days of a vehicle sitting in hot sun to get rid of them. In our case the fleas spray and vac worked as we did not get any more flea bites. We ended up getting a tube of hydrocortisone to heal the flea bites and stop the itching which was pretty severe.

Been waiting for that one … just might leave it parked a few months after that …

I have used these before … attracted to a tiny night light so a thin extension cord would power up …

A insect bomb is really the best way. Fleas and their eggs will be everywhere including the seats, air vents and every nook and cranny in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back