Buying car parts: go cheap, mid grade or expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the part.

Will its failure likely kill someone?

If yes (brakes, steering, suspension, tires), then I buy the best I can afford without putting myself in a financial bind.

Everything else get mid-grade, unless it's something that takes 6+ hours to replace.

I buy better parts, but I do my research. I like a good value, the price almost doesn't matter.

I have purchased many parts for my BMW from OEM suppliers to find the BMW part # ground off the part I purchased. In other words it came down the same line as BMW branded but went in a different box and saving 30% or more. Doing your research helps determine who the OE suppliers are or who makes improved components. Stewart water pumps being an example in BMW circles.

Last edited:
The money I save by doing the work myself puts me miles ahead of the game. I try to use only parts that are of equal or greater quality than what was provided new. I think it's foolish to do a job twice because I went cheap on the replacement part. My time is far more valuable than the cost of some maintenance item on a vehicle.

I usually buy OEM or from the OEM manufacturer, unless a reputable aftermarket manufacturer offers a superior part- Bilstein or Koni struts/shocks, EBC pads, etc.
Price is virtually never a factor for me when selecting replacement parts- quality is my primary concern.

Originally Posted By: malibuguy79

But as others said it also depends on the car. My wifes new Fit...will get pretty much the best stuff for the next several years at least.

Luckily (?) parts for few-years-old cars seem to be OE in quality, or made by the OE manufacturer with the name ground off. And priced to match.

Takes 10-15 years to get to the point of the $12 tie-rod end at autozone.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: malibuguy79

But as others said it also depends on the car. My wifes new Fit...will get pretty much the best stuff for the next several years at least.

Luckily (?) parts for few-years-old cars seem to be OE in quality, or made by the OE manufacturer with the name ground off. And priced to match.

Takes 10-15 years to get to the point of the $12 tie-rod end at autozone.
lol.gif

Not really. 15 years later, it's still the same part with same specs & tooling as when an aftermarket supplier first introduces a part to their catalog of product offerings. The part is now $15 instead of $50 because the tooling, engineering, and design costs of producing the part has already been paid off so now they can drop the sell price of the part.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Since the OEM part broke, I'm not rushing out to buy same exact part again. Except for O2 sensors.

+1
I tend to look for replacement parts that are an improvement over the OEM part that failed, even if they cost more.
As far as OEM parts are concerned, GM and BMW are notorious for selling replacement parts that are identical to the failed parts, and fail identically down the road. Conversely, Toyota is known to redesign/improve parts that are prone to failure and sell the improved replacement parts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back