My 'new' bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got tired of the seized front suspension in my old faithful 2002 Rocky Mountain Fusion, and took it apart to service it two or three weeks ago. I was dismayed to find the shocks full of rusty mud, and a broken spring on one side.

We were leaving for a road trip the next day, and I was unable to pick up parts or a new fork that day. So, I took the old back-up bike down and worked to get it road-worthy. It's a 2004 Giant Iguana that I bought new for my son. After he moved on to better bikes, I bought it from him, and it hung in the garage for about six years.

I spent much of the rest of that day getting it ready for our trip - replaced the missing front derailleur, added a bike computer, water bottle rack, and a rear rack, replaced a shifter cable, and set up the brakes and gears.

While out west I added an extension to raise the handlebars.

Today, with about 200 of my recent kms on the bike, I repacked the front and rear wheel bearings (well needed) and removed the (non-serviceable) bottom bracket just to make sure it can be removed when the time comes.

I'm really getting to like this bike, but would still like to repair the old Rocky. If anyone has a front suspension fork (26" wheel, V-brakes, non-tapered stem) they'd like to sell, please let me know.

Here's my 'new' Giant waiting patiently while I rest halfway up a very steep urban trail in BC:

This is looking back down the same trail. The bike is my wife's, and is a newer Giant Iguana:

How much offroad riding do you do, do you need a suspension fork? Most anything 26" with short travel is going to be old(er) and possibly in need of some type of servicing. A 2002 likely had a 75-85mm travel fork, most new ones today are 100mm, it's going to change how it handles.

If a rigid fork might work here's one: fork

I just took a blown suspension fork off a 2000 mtb today and put on a rigid that I've had for years. It will be an around town/dirt road/camping bike so suspension not really needed.

Nice ride OP
A couple of weeks ago while in NY for the first time, the GF and I rented some bicycles.
Boy did I feel out of place NOT having rearview mirrors. On a motorcycle they are my window to what's going on around me.
Without them, I felt naked.
Glad to see you sporting a set!
Also, how you liking that BC heat? It's like the freakin' desert out there!

AZjeff, great suggestion. I rode it with effectively no front suspension for years, so a rigid fork would be fine. A bonus would be that a rigid fork would accommodate a front rack. Front suspension forks for old bikes are getting hard to find, and are quite expensive.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
How much offroad riding do you do, do you need a suspension fork? Most anything 26" with short travel is going to be old(er) and possibly in need of some type of servicing. A 2002 likely had a 75-85mm travel fork, most new ones today are 100mm, it's going to change how it handles.

If a rigid fork might work here's one: fork

I just took a blown suspension fork off a 2000 mtb today and put on a rigid that I've had for years. It will be an around town/dirt road/camping bike so suspension not really needed.

I probably have what you need to fix your other bike if the steerer tube is long enough. A Rockshox Indy. I'll measure the tube tomorrow and get back to you.
I would use a rigid fork though. Check out Surly.com and see if they make anything close. They definitely make straight steerer forks and I think they still sell em with Vee brake mounts.

https://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/instigator_fork

Maybe this one.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Nice ride OP
A couple of weeks ago while in NY for the first time, the GF and I rented some bicycles.
Boy did I feel out of place NOT having rearview mirrors. On a motorcycle they are my window to what's going on around me.
Without them, I felt naked.
Glad to see you sporting a set!
Also, how you liking that BC heat? It's like the freakin' desert out there!
Lolvoguy, agreed on the mirrors (and the heat)! We rented bikes in Germany in June, and the lack of mirrors was weird.

The BC heat was oppressive - highs of 37 C (99 F) a couple of days, but at least with low humidity. Back here in 'Winterpeg' we've got several days of 33 and 34 C coming up, no doubt complete with high humidity.
eek.gif

Winnipeg 7-day forecast

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The seat post is really sticking out from the seat tube.

skyactiv, yes, it's at max (per the markings on the seat post). If and when I ever buy a new bike I'll go up a frame size.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Lolvoguy, agreed on the mirrors (and the heat)! We rented bikes in Germany in June, and the lack of mirrors was weird.

The BC heat was oppressive - highs of 37 C (99 F) a couple of days, but at least with low humidity. Back here in 'Winterpeg' we've got several days of 33 and 34 C coming up, no doubt complete with high humidity.
eek.gif

Winnipeg 7-day forecast

Yeah I remember that prairie heat. I'm from Regina and I really hated summers in the area.
But at least it was a break from the 10 months per year of winter we got
lol.gif

Number_35, the Rockshox Indy I have has a steerer tube 7 1/2" long. If you would like it, I'll box it up and send it to you. How does 20 bucks plus shipping sound?

I'll put up a picture of it when I get to my computer at work.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

NYEngineer, thank you so much for your kind offer! I may well take you up on this, but first need to decide whether or not to go with a rigid fork instead. (Your price is way too low; I'd have to give you more than $20 for it!)

Here's a photo of the old fork:

They look pretty compatible, don't they? (I like the longer stem on yours.)

It's been in my office for about ten years and I'm not even really sure how it got there. If you need it, it's twenty bucks.
I will never use it. All my bikes have 29" wheels or fat wheels. Even my 13 year old son is on 29 plus. I'll be glad to see it get a home and get used.
I do know it was on a buddy's bike and he replaced it with an air fork. It's probably as close to NOS as you will ever see in bike forks.

NYEngineer, you're on! Please PM me with the shipping cost. Please add a boxing/handling fee - remember you'll be sourcing packaging, and taking time to mail this.

I'll send you a money order, and don't expect you to ship the fork before receiving the money order.

Thanks in advance - this is very good of you, and a perfect solution for me!

I'll get it home and box it up.
Quick story... A long time ago, I sent 8 pistons and 8 rods for a 440 mopar to a guy in Canada. I split them into two boxes so it wasn't one heavy box. He received one immediately and never got the other. I refunded his money and tried to file a claim with whatever postal service "lost" the other box. Turns out, Canadian Customs had it. End of story, it was not lost so no claim. As far as I know, he never got the second box.
Can you think of any way I can send this so you will definitely get it? USPS or UPS? I ship bicycle wheels all over the US via UPS and never have a problem.

Guys, a big shout-out from me to NYEngineer, who provided the fork discussed. I'm delighted to have my old bike back on the road.

Photos of the restored Rocky coming! Here's one from a year ago, still with the old fork:

IMG_5671 - Copy.JPG

Here are a few shots of the Rocky Mountain with the new fork. I know it looks a bit shabby, but here that's a bonus - makes it less tempting for thieves.

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7468.JPG

IMG_7469.JPG

IMG_7470.JPG

IMG_7471.JPG

IMG_7472.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back