will they ever be a push back on car technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Most tech stuff is pretty fun, but I did drive a car once that had the blind spot assist. I didn't think it was that useful as it didn't help at all the way I drive. You can usually tell with a glance if there's someone in your blind spot so whether the light is on or not, you know if someone is in your blind spot.

Maybe it's good for totally clueless drivers. I see them all the time, they try to signal a lane change when they're right next to a car. So of course the next 3 cars won't let him in and of course he's clueless why people won't let him in. No one lets anyone cut in during rush hour. You just have to find/wait for the gap, signal and merge into it.

Which is why I refer to such features as "Helen Keller driving aids"- in a typical passenger car or SUV there are no blind spots if your mirrors are adjusted correctly.
Speaking of clueless, I was on another forum where a brain-dead moron informed me that the blind spot monitoring was better because he likes his mirrors adjusted so that he can tell if he
left his fuel filler door open.

I continue to be amazed at the extent to which U.S. vehicle operators("driver" is far too generous a term) have been dumbed-down.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Speaking of clueless, I was on another forum where a brain-dead moron informed me that the blind spot monitoring was better because he likes his mirrors adjusted so that he can tell if he

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Here's an example I recently heard:

A guy owned a vehicle with lane-assist, which I understand auto-corrects 'for you' should you stray out of yours. His vehicle began constantly tugging the steering wheel. First he had tires checked, then tire balance, then alignment, then suspension, then the electric steering pump motor, steering controller, etc. All to no avail. Vehicle kept tugging. Multiple shops couldn't figure this out.

Know what it was?

The last shop noticed that his windshield had been replaced and that an aftermarket one had been used to save the considerable expense of OEM. The tech said replacing the windshield would probably fix it. Why? Because the sensors used in lane-assist are located in the back of the rear-view mirror. The aftermarket windshield had enough optical distorsion in it to affect these sensors.

Replacing the windshield for a genuine one fixed the problem!

Caveat Emptor...

When I worked at BMW I saw more than a few cars that were having issues with rain sensing wipers, HUDs, and other so-called "driver" aids after an aftermarket windshield was installed. Needless to say, I had my BMW dealer replace the windshield when a rock cracked the one in my M235i; my dealer does the work in-house and they did an excellent job. Safeco tried to steer me to Safelite but I went with the dealer- and the entire cost of replacement was picked up by Safeco.
That said, I rarely use anything but OEM parts on the BMWs and the Mini; the Jeep? Not so much...

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Here's an example I recently heard:

A guy owned a vehicle with lane-assist, which I understand auto-corrects 'for you' should you stray out of yours. His vehicle began constantly tugging the steering wheel. First he had tires checked, then tire balance, then alignment, then suspension, then the electric steering pump motor, steering controller, etc. All to no avail. Vehicle kept tugging. Multiple shops couldn't figure this out.

Know what it was?

The last shop noticed that his windshield had been replaced and that an aftermarket one had been used to save the considerable expense of OEM. The tech said replacing the windshield would probably fix it. Why? Because the sensors used in lane-assist are located in the back of the rear-view mirror. The aftermarket windshield had enough optical distorsion in it to affect these sensors.

Replacing the windshield for a genuine one fixed the problem!

Caveat Emptor...

This is exactly why Safelite stopped making their own windshields
crazy2.gif

I believe most drivers in this country adjust their side mirrors to check for helicopters chasing them.
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Most tech stuff is pretty fun, but I did drive a car once that had the blind spot assist. I didn't think it was that useful as it didn't help at all the way I drive. You can usually tell with a glance if there's someone in your blind spot so whether the light is on or not, you know if someone is in your blind spot.

Maybe it's good for totally clueless drivers. I see them all the time, they try to signal a lane change when they're right next to a car. So of course the next 3 cars won't let him in and of course he's clueless why people won't let him in. No one lets anyone cut in during rush hour. You just have to find/wait for the gap, signal and merge into it.

Which is why I refer to such features as "Helen Keller driving aids"- in a typical passenger car or SUV there are no blind spots if your mirrors are adjusted correctly.

I continue to be amazed at the extent to which U.S. vehicle operators("driver" is far too generous a term) have been dumbed-down.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
I believe most drivers in this country adjust their side mirrors to check for helicopters chasing them.

Haven't really noticed that, they just don't know how to use them. Anyway, I have a panorama sunroof, I guess that's also useful to check for helicopters. I did know a guy who flew helicopters for the national guard. He said he could fly anywhere he liked as long as he got his hours in so one day he buzzed our party because he had to go flying and couldn't make it.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
you know - you lose your key and it costs maybe $200 for a new one, (at the dealer) , or your tv screen in the dash fails and the dealer wants $500 to diagnose and replace it, or your map function needs a software upgrade, or the rain sensor to turn on the wipers fails (so you have to turn on the wipers manually OMG!) or the power lift gate malfunctions??

or the lane assist "pusher" servo fails, either does not push enough or horrors , pushes too much - whats the repair cost? canyou disable it or will it stay on (if that a fail mode?

dealers must be loving it

While I do appreciate my power windows and locks, those are about the only power things on my F150. It might be a 2011 but its a basic XLT. Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back