2 cycle oil VS. 30 weight oil...what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious...what is in 2 cycle oil that isn't in plain old 30 weight oil? I was reading the manual for my outboard motor ('74 mercury) and it says you can use 30 weight "in emergencies". (what kind of emergency would you have 30 weight and not 2 cycle oil?) I also know a guy that uses nothing but 30w in his two cycle engines...
rolleyes.gif

alot of the old antique 2cycle equipment can be used with 30w oil, or eve 20w in cold temps.
this guy i know has one of these old fashoned 2cycle dirtbikes from the 70's and it says just this, on the oil resivor.
what the difference is? i think 2cycle oil burns alot cleaner for one thing. for a second, its less polluting to the air then motor oil.

as for lubrication? i dont really know.

50’s & 60’s era 2 cycle engines used SAE30 grade oil @ 16:1 ratio. This is a mixture of 8 oz. of oil to 1 gal of gas. Portions of the 8oz.of oil lubricated the rings, connecting rod needle bearings, and crankshaft bearings. The rest either became tarnish, or combusted incompletely& formed carbon deposits on the piston head and exhaust port, or was spit out as a liquid thru the muffler/exhaust or was exhausted as smoke.

To the best of my knowledge, SAE 30 was a solvent refined base stock with a low VI number & minimal additives.

Current 2 cycle mix oils operate at leaner mix ratios, burn cleaner with less deposits & provide lubrication at higher rpm levels. The most common ratio is 50:1, 2.6 oz to 1 gal, with the TCW-3 ashless oils used for the lower temp, water cooled marine applications. Lo ash oils with ISO-EGD/JASCO-FC certifications are used for the higher temp air cooled engine applications.

BTW most of the older 16:1 equipment with roller or needle bearings will operate safely at 32:1. Some of the old+ equipment/outboards had bronze bushings or journals and still requires the 16:1 mix to operate.

ZmOz – here is a very basic formulation for air cooled engines & some will no doubt argue the specifics:

Group I & II base stocks – Higher VI number for hi-temp lubricity & low deposits
Magnesium Phenolate - Lo ash to prevent ring sticking
Zinc Dithiophosphate - Anti-wear, anti-scuff agent
Stoddard Solvent – Mixing agent to aid soluability in gasoline

I tried Shell's Aeroshell 15W50 and Chevron's 20W50 aero in my Husky 85CC chainsaw @ 40:1 last year just for the heck of it.
Sure kept the bugs away!
We tried it in an 02 CR125 too.
rolleyes.gif

If you can't beat em, smoke em.

quote:

We tried it in an 02 CR125 too.
If you can't beat em, smoke em.

I would say that if you continue to use that oil you will gum up the exhaust valves on the CR something terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back