Outboard motor oil in chain saw and weed wacker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 MX2T

Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 90
cSt @ 100ºC 13.8
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 154
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.15
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -42
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 110
Density @15 ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.884

Looks like a very good oil!
grin.gif
Although not recomended for TCW-3 aplications!

Is this oil available in the US??

Hasbeen

Opti? Your kidding right? The make so many BS claims on their website that I wouldnt use the stuff to keep the dust down on my driveway.

"Is this oil available in the US??"
At any Autozone or Mobil jobber.

OPTI: Use it at the same ratio, in one can, for everything that uses 2 cycle oil!!!!!

Wow, that`s quite a statement!! NOT!!!!!

I have a problem with any company that will not post an MSDS page! What is it?? What is the base stock, They say it is not a synthetic! Just another 2 cycle oil????

Blano, (Wouldn`t use it to oil your driveway), I bet that is exactly what you would use it for!! That`s what I`d do with it!! Although I live on a Lake so I`d swing if I did!!

Hasbeen

Blano:

The MSDS on Amsoil S2000 Racing is nearly Identical, almost number for number! Couldnt find one that was able to be copyed and pasted!

Hasbeen

The comments I made about Opti were from personal experience, actual testing and research, and NOT because I believe all of the claims on their website.

No need to get rude about something you've never tried, right?

The proof is in the puddin', you know?

I don't know whats in it exactly, but the base oil is conventional (though a synthetic version would be welcomed). Its the additive pack that makes it work so well. Try it and see before you go hatin'.

And it was just another opinion from someone who has an indepth and daily working knowledge of the product. We use it constantly with great success and never a failure. The company will pay if it damages your equipment, but it never does.

BTW, a side benefit is never (or rarely) having to clean your exhaust ports or muffler.

I have never had to clean a exhaust port or muffler on my engines that have run mx2t. And some have way more time than your average homeowners weed whip.
BTW Opti has a good reputation for blowing up bike motors.

Has been, MX2T is light years ahead of 2000. If you would like I can show you some pics.

90Hardbody:

Don`t take it too hard, Blano`s tact is worse than mine, and mine is about like a Mack truck before it runs over you!!! He got to me once too!! Or was that twice!!

Hey, I know a guy that knows another guy that has a brother-in-law that burned his chainsaw up on opti!! Does that count??
grin.gif

Hey, It may be an OK oil, but I will absolutly guarantee that it will not hold up to the punishment that a good synthetic will!!! It just ain`t in the cards!!!!

Don`t go away Mad, in fact, don`t go away, Just be carefull on this forum about posting without facts, Good Hard Ones!!! Been there, Done that!!
cheers.gif

Hasbeen

Ben,

If you mix the Mobil two stroke @ 32:1 as you suggest, it's more expensive than both the Amsoil products, mixed at either 100:1, in the case of the premix, or 50:1 in the case of the Series 2000. As I have said, the Mobil 1 two stroke appears to be excellent stuff as well, although I have no experience with it ...

Ted

Tooslick, Compare apples to apples. You can mix mx2t at 50:1 no problem. EGD oils are actually tested at 100:1 so it probaly would work ok at that ratio also. FWIW I would run 2000 at 32:1 if I used it. I wouldnt use 100:1!

OK, here I go! This is the main problem I have with most people who insist on saying Amsoil is garbage! I`ve seen Blanos post all over knocking Amsoil products! Most places I`ve seen the posts the oil was run at a ratio, that is NOT recomended by the manufacturer, Like 100:1 being run at 32:1 and then having the guts to say it gumbed up or fowled plugs or caused carbon buildup or the like! And here you go again saying that if you used the S2000 you would mix it at 32:1!!! Da*m, I`m sure glad that you are so smart that you think you know more that the manufacturer of the oil does!!Amsoil is a great oil if you use it right! OK, Your turn if the moderator leaves this on!!
mad.gif

LubeDude

quote:

ve seen the posts the oil was run at a ratio, that is NOT recomended by the manufacturer,

FWIW the 2 engines I have seen internals of that where run on 2000 used a 50:1 ratio. IMO a 50:1 ratio is a joke in any race machinery. All of the jap oems spec a 32:1 ratio for mx bikes. Does amsoil know something they dont? Besides a good oil will burn clean at 32:1 and 50:1 just like mx2T does. Another thing I have noticed with amsoil run engines is regardless of ratio there is a massive amount of oily goo comeing out the muffler on mx bikes and on sleds the belly pan is always stained black. This is because the high temp ester bases they use to get adequate film strength at low oil to gas ratios do not combust. This leads to the deposits I described. Maybe this will change with interceptor, which I am going to test this winter provided I can locate some that doe not cost an arm and a leg.

quote:

Da*m, I`m sure glad that you are so smart that you think you know more that the manufacturer of the oil does!!

I am sure glad Amsoil thinks they know more about two cycle motors than the people making them. Does anybody spec a 100:1 oil for OPE and does anybody spec a 50:1 ratio for racing two strokes? I'll give you a hint. NO!

quote:

Amsoil is a great oil if you use it right!

Not from what I have seen. Prove it. Send me some pics of your amsoil run motors internals. I have some of motors ran on mx2t that I would be more than willing to post if this board would allow it.

The gauntlet has been thrown down.

[ December 10, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree!

We are both seeing different things! I`ve raced MX Bikes in the past, and never had the problems you describe with the 100:1! I had a group of people I ran around with back then and My bike was the "only" one that never seized a piston! they were using all the fangled oils of that day!

I do not see the problems you describe at proper mix ratios! I have NO gooy oil around in my outboards either!

LubeDude

Going back to the question: I recommend going with whatever ratio the engine manufacturer recommends. This varies considerably.
But TC-W3 can be used everywhere, but not the other way around. The Outboards need a zero ash product because they run so much cooler and form deposits on the exhaust valves when regular detergents are used. Keeps the pistons and exhaust cleaner. Sometimes the plant sends me drums of TC-W3 labeled just as 2T because they rarely sell the cheaper stuff and it is easier for them to downgrade the price on the TC-W3 and ship it than to make 4 to 6 drums of 2T.

quote:

But TC-W3 can be used everywhere, but not the other way around.

For the same reason aircooled oils will not work well in marine motors, marine oils do not work well in aircooled motors. TCW3 and aircooled formulations are night and day differant.

[ December 14, 2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

I have a hard time believing that a manufacturer of air cooled 2 cycle equipment would approve of the use of a TCW-3 oil in their engines.

Air cooled engine 2 cycle oils are formulated for more severe operating conditions (8,000 to 12,000 rpm) than the marine 2 cycle oils (4000 to 6000 rpm & lower temperatures).

Why risk damaging your equipment when quality oils for both applications are so readily available?

Blue

The following is quoted from an earlier post in the boat forum and explains the ashless & low ash designations.

Blue

Low Ash type detergent/dispersants are used in most API-TC, Jasco FC and ISO GC certified 2-stroke oils. These oils are designed for air-cooled high performance engines that operate under severe load/temperature conditions. Low Ash detergents can keep the deposits to a minimum at ring land temperatures as high as 400 deg/f. These detergents are manufactured from compounds of Calcium and Magnesium (heavy metals). After these compounds (Calcium Phenate or Magnesium Phenate) do their job, they burn away, forming a heavy metal salt (ash) that is swept away during the normal combustion process. Hence, this is where the name Ash-type detergent comes from. Ash type detergents depend on the higher combustion temperatures to keep the resulting ash swept out. Therefore, the use of these high performance oils in outboard or other mildly tuned 2-stroke engines is not recommended.

Some manufacturers are using a combination of detergent types (Ashless and Low Ash) to provide a broader range of uses for their oil. It is important to note that oil designed to meet TCW3 specs only (Ashless) will not protect an engine requiring API-TC (Low Ash) type oil. The converse is also true. Using a Low Ash oil in an engine designed for an Ashless type oil only could result in fouled plugs and gummy combustion chambers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back