Outboard motor oil in chain saw and weed wacker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 150hp outboard motor on my boat and it really DRINKS the gas. As you can guess, I allways have alot of two cycle oil around for it. I usually use Penzoil TCW-3 oil, which says it meets all the manufacturer's requirements for both outboards and lawn equipment. I have heard that running this type of oil in a chainsaw or weed wacker is not a good idea. Is this true? I like to use left over gas from my boat in my 2 cycle equipment. Also, is there any problem running the premium gas my boat must have in the small engines?

If you are using the oil/gas mix from your boat for the lawn stuff, then I would verify that the boat and the lawn equipment take the same mix ratios. I've never heard anything bad about running boat motor 2-cycle oil in lawn equipment . Are there different specs or requirements for the oil in each application? This would be worth looking into.

Running premium won't hurt anything except your wallet
grin.gif

[ December 01, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: ralan ]

What about the engine temperature difference. If the boat is watercooled and the chainsaw is definatly air cooled their would be a huge temperature difference.

Does this affect 2-stroke oil or the ratio?

Outboard and aircooled power equipment oils are night and day differant. Using a tcw3 oil in aircooled motor will shorten their life span by quit abit. TCW3 oils simply do not have the high temp detergancy that air cooled motors require. Further more you warranty will be void as all OPE makers spec that a api tc or iso egd oil formula must be used.

I agree with blano, I have heard many times that outboard oil cannot take the heat of an air cooled engine. After researching octane I think your better off to use what is recommended, higher octane than needed I have heard burns cooler which creates more carbon buildup and is a waste of money.

Blano and countryboy are correct in there analogies about oil for water and air cooled motors! they are very much different!

However I`ve used the Amsoil 100:1 in boats for 25+ Years and used the same mix ratio in my chainsaw and weedeater with great results and still have them both and they run great and are free from carbon buildup! Weed eater is newer than the chainsaw which is a Homlite! Granted the Amsoil is not TCW!!

Now we get to here blano rant about Amsoil!! He has some good arguments though! I also wish they would get there head out about the certifications!

Hasbeen

Well we have water cooled outboard marine engines that run somewhere around 6,000 RPM.
Water cooled MX motorcycle engines that start at 6,000 RPM and go from there.
We have air cooled 2 stroke chainsaws, yard and lawn care engines that run up to about 6,000 RPM.
And we have air cooled motorcycle and other racing engines that start at 6,000 RPM and go up from there.
I remember my ol'man mixing SAE 30 at 20:1 for our 1957 33 HP Scott Atwater outboard. The boat and motor cost about $800.00
The new 1965 Johnson 40 HP used ?? at 24:1. That engine cost $700.00.
The 74 115 HP Merc used 40:1. The boat, trailer and motor cost $7,000.
Have you seen the price on a new 150 HP outboard?
And you want to risk the engine by running a 1% oil mix?
Why, to save money on oil?

Can`t argue with success!! 25+ years with no damage! Lots of wood cut in the hot summer months! and only one sparkplug change!!

Besides, the 100:1 has no solvent in it so it really isn`t a true 100:1! 1% as you stated!!

Oh, Not to save money on oil, I like the performance, Everything just runs better and more power!

The boat engine with the most running on 100:1 was an 85 HP evenrude on a bass boat! I literally ran the H**l out of that boat in Bass tournaments, always at WOT for two years with only one change in spark plugs! Never had to deCarb and was the fastest 15' Bassboat on the Lake! Just sounded smoother!!

Hasbeen

[ December 02, 2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Hasbeen ]

Why then, does it say on the back of my Havoline bottle (and all other TCW 3 oil) "Havoline two cycle engine oil may be used in outboards, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, lawnmowers, chainsaws, motorcycles, and other two cycle engines where an engine oil meeting TC-W3, TC-WII, TC-W, TC, or JASO M 345 FB standards is recommended."?

If one of those specs include the engine you are using it in then go ahead and use it! I doubt very much that you are going to hurt anything!

There really is a difference in water cooled and air cooled engine oil recomendations! Some oil company`s throw oil use specs around like popcorn, and Amsoil is one of them, I sure wish they wouldn`t!!

Hasbeen

Has been, More oil does not make more power. It actually makes less do to decreased ring seal. Motors ran on high heat ester base oils like 100:1 also have deposits issues simply because the oil is not combusted completly

Well, Hello Blano, I wondered when we`d hear from ya!!!

Honestly when I first got on this forum I thought you were the most one sided person I`d ever heard, But after listening to everything you`ve been saying I beleive that you just might have a clue as to what is actually going on, You are actually VERY knoledgable, although still pretty set in your ways!!

Like I said earlier, there isn`t any solvent in the 100:1 oil so it really isn`t a true 100:1 mix! It actually smokes about like any other synthetic mixed at 50:1! Not that that is scientific by any means! I know others have tried to make this point with you to no avail, so I won`t push it any farther! The point is that the oil works very well in my opinion and no matter what you or anyone else trys to tell me about this product,I will continue to use it and advise others to do the same, TCW or not!!! If you haven`t tried it then quit knocking it!!

True, Amsoils marketing plan sucks, and the way they word there brochures does too, but reguardless, it`s still a great product!

Hasbeen

Hasbeen,

Ben is very knowledgable about two stroke motors,but my young friend wasn't born until 1977 ...In 1979, I started teaching undergraduate material science classes at Georgia Tech, where I got my MSME in 1981. Just to put things into perspective ...
wink.gif

Heck, I have a pair of purple, button fly bell bottoms in my closet (with matching "earthshoes"), that are older than some of these young punks ...
shocked.gif

Of course, Ben could be 100% correct about these things, and I may be simply suffering memory loss from too many years of using aluminum cookware ....
confused.gif

Tooslick

Hasbeen, Tooslick feeble, old mind has been poisoned by Amsoil indoctrination... I am sure he does have bellbottoms older than I...Probalt stillwears them too.,lol.

Now that I think about it, I was running the 100:1 oil one bottle to 5 gals, what`s that, 85:1!

Looking forward to trying the S2000 in my Merc 150 with premix when I get my boat going this next summer, or should I stay with the 100:1 mixed at one bottle to five gallons!!

Come to think about it, My chainsaw is older than Blano! Just pokein at ya!!

Honestly you (Blano) have come up with some very good points about the products! Is Amsoil the best for every aplication, NO, I`m not that one sided to beleive that!! But I do REALLY like the 2 cycle products as they have proven them selves to me time and again!!

LubeDude

[ December 03, 2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Hasbeen ]

Hasbeen!!! I too like the Amsoil 110:1!!! And, I use it in a 50 HP outboard, Husky chainsaw, WeedEater, etc!!! Blano make some very good points, and has lots of real time experience; however, Too Slick Ted is a materials scientist, so give them both a little deference!!! You will be sick of the equipment before you wear it out on the Amsoil!!! You may or may not get added performance or benefit going with Blano's standard recommendations!!! Both are good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really do not mean to pick on Blano, He keeps us all honest about Amsoil, I have to admit that he does know his stuff pretty well and holds his ground!!!

I do know, that when I changed my old 85 Evenrude to synthetics, both in the lower unit and the 100:1 mixed at 1 bottle to 5 gals that I picked up 300 RPM at WOT and had to go with another prop which gave me another 2 MPH! Anyone who knows boats knows that gaining 2 MPH in a boat of that size isn`t all that easy!! Same day, same load!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hasbeen

Ted, I thought I might add the Mobil mx2t will outperform both 100:1 and series 2000 and it cost much less than either.

The Amsoil Series 2000 racing oil mixed @ 50:1 will outperform and outprotect the premix stuff mixed @ 100:1. Of course it's twice as expensive, but you get what you pay for.

For folks who are using cheap, dept store, two stroke oils in all these small, air cooled motors, the Amsoil 100:1 oil offers a measurable improvement in performance and engine life. You can get 7-10 yrs out of a cheap chainsaw or trimmer using the 100:1. I've actually done that w/ my little Mac chain saw, and cheap "weedeater" brand trimmer, before I got both my big Stihls....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Here's 2 cents from a small engine mechanic.

Never had a problem with outboard oil in handheld equipment when mixed to manufacturers ratio. But i don't use it.

Best oil in my opinion: Opti-2 Univeral mix

This stuff is nothing short of a miracle. The company, Interlube, has tested this stuff at 300:1 mix and got cooler temps than with other brands 50:1 mix. I use it exclusively in all my equipment, and also in a moped I used to have.

Long life, no smoke (100:1 like amsoil), great documented results. Check to Opti-2 website. Google the link yourself.

Again, just my 2 cents. By the way, its only sold through power equipment dealers, but no more expensive than other brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back