Just got my first brand new small engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

My birthday (27 years) was yesterday and my parents decided to buy me a snow blower as my gift. It’s a YardMAX YB5765 22” 2-stage snow blower. I haven’t assembled it yet so before I do I figured I’d ask around what sort of oil people are running in these.

I live in Illinois and plan on changing the oil in the machine once a season. It looks like a bottle of 5W-30 4-stroke engine oil was included. I like the idea of using a full synthetic oil so I’m considering my options. Currently I use Briggs & stratton SAE30 in my lawn mower. For my cars I like Valvoline.

I know oil is oil but it’s not everyday one obtains a brand-new motor to maintain.

Fire away! Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Read the manual Usually there is a short break in time "5 hours ?" or so then change it to a syn oil to help ease the starting.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Read the manual Usually there is a short break in time "5 hours ?" or so then change it to a syn oil to help ease the starting.

Yep id go this route and switch to 0w40 after.

Congrats, nice little unit. Thanks to your parents for sure.

Knowing what I know today, I wouldn't concern myself too much with the motor oil however, any good brand of 5W30(once a season) will keep the engine running just fine and longer than the rest of the snowblowers parts.

Most of the maintenance that I do with my snowblowers is, maintain the undercarriage below the bottom cover. I lube all of the return springs with grease without getting any grease on the baseplate & rubber wheel for the drive.

Last edited:
I would use 0w40 just because, but any xw30 would likely be fine.

Read the manual, but they usually say something like running the engine a few hours with the factory fill then changing the oil.. I would probably do a repeat with the quart they included with the unit and then switch it over to an oil of your choice.

Last edited:
I run Shell Formula 5w30 from Home Depot (usually at $10/gal) in my Honda HS520A and change it every season. 14 years old and going strong.

+1 on 0w40! I have been running Mobil 1 0w40 in a 12HP B&S OHV for 13 years (I did run GC 0w30 A3/B4 for a couple of seasons) and the engine is perfect, I adjusted the valves at the recommended interval and have only checked them since the first adjustment, they are in spec.
This means the cam and rockers which are the last parts to receive lubrication are well protected and have no measurable wear. If the last part in the chain to receive lube is wearing well the rest of the engine is.

I have used frankenoil in my snow king 8hp snowblower since 1994, so 24 years. Runs strong and doesn't use oil. A mix of 5W-20 and 5W-30. Conventional and synthetics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
The owners manual is your friend. B&S engines usually suggest the the factory fill be change at ~ 5 hours. Ed

I agree but would do one better.
I've changed the oil on a 'new' engine.
After 5 hours, the oil looked like silver paint.
The next 'new' engine I bought, I changed it after every (1) hour.
After several oil changes, the oil was draining cleaner and cleaner.
Then when I was satisfied, I went with once per year (probably 30 hours).

That's just my method.

I would go a couple of hours with what they sent you.
in my ariens when i bought it thats what i did, and went with maxlife blend 5w30 since then. going on five years now i think..

Can't beat any outdoor power equipment for a birthday gift!

That's a neat looking import snowblower. I've not seen this make/model in person.

To me, engine oil is important, but I'd make sure to secure some spare shear bolts and know where you can secure spare rubber friction disks and belts for this machine. You'll also want to replace the junky OEM sprarkplug with an NGK or Champion equiv.

Keep an eye on the fuel line and fuel shut-off switch as well. They tend to be brittle JUNK on all of them these days.

Be sure to keep the auger shaft and wheel stubs lubed well also.

Break the machine in with the 5w-30 supplied then switch over to a 5w-30 full synthetic I have my father's 15 year-old yard machine with a Tecumseh been on synthetic since day one fires up first pull every time.

The 5w-30 supplied may be a synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Can't beat any outdoor power equipment for a birthday gift!

That's a neat looking import snowblower. I've not seen this make/model in person.

To me, engine oil is important, but I'd make sure to secure some spare shear bolts and know where you can secure spare rubber friction disks and belts for this machine. You'll also want to replace the junky OEM sprarkplug with an NGK or Champion equiv.

Keep an eye on the fuel line and fuel shut-off switch as well. They tend to be brittle JUNK on all of them these days.

Be sure to keep the auger shaft and wheel stubs lubed well also.

+1. Install a Platinum or Iridium plug and never change again. Plus enjoy easier starts on cold days.

Okay so I finally got the unit assembled. Thank you for all of the recommendations! I'm planning on picking up a 5qt jug of Supertech 5W-30 Full Synthetic to use after I use up what the manufacturer sent me. I'll probably change out the original oil at 5 hours.

As for the spark plug- the engine calls for a Meiya F7RTC, to which there is no NGK cross reference. I'm considering a Bosch WR7DC or Champion RN9YC; any thoughts there?

Thanks again all!

Break it in with 5W30 conventional oil for the first 25 hours of use.

As to the spark plug, I run the Chinese plug until they die, then replace. That might be 25 years from now. No need to change it now.

Originally Posted by EricBeau
As for the spark plug- the engine calls for a Meiya F7RTC, to which there is no NGK cross reference. I'm considering a Bosch WR7DC or Champion RN9YC; any thoughts there?
Substitute "Torch" as the brand and the NGK cross reference is BPR7ES. BPR7EIX would then be the Iridium upgrade. No need to change a brand new plug though.

I had bad luck with the china plug that came in my Toro mower. The first engine that came with one stopped starting on the first or second pull half way thru the first summer. Pulled the plug and it had black soot all over it which tells me it wasn't a hot enough plug. Put in a NGK BPR6ES and no more hard starts. Last thing you want is a snowblower that becomes hard to start when it's cold out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back