cut open - PSL10241 filtering ATF 97 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was in use for 55k miles and about 3 years, filtering Maxlife ATF on the Maxima from 125k to 180k.
The ADBV lost some color but was still pliable, no shark bite was a nice surprise.
The filter sealing gasket seems to have lost it's mojo after all this time, but it wasn't leaking.
The filter media looked great, no tears and was more dark gray in real life (not the black in the pictures).
The previous filter (L10241) is here

Last edited:
ATF flow in a vehicle that class is a trickle compared to engine oil systems. Easy life for a filter. Doubt it ever saw bypass.

Looks good. Definitely caught its share of material.

Looks very good. Thanks for the c&p
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Looks very good. Maybe these just can't take combustion byproducts.

Good point …

Looks very good. Maybe these just can't take combustion byproducts differential pressure.
Although, the backed synthetic media PSL filters, like the newer Boss, can't be compared to the much weaker Classics/Reds. They're a whole lot stronger.

I have a couple of these PSL 10241's (from K-Mart) for my Ford's....they claim to be 10K filters...do you think they are good for that amount of miles?...The one shown here looks pretty good to me....

I just checked the 2 that I have and they were made on the same date as the one cut open here...1/13/14....I hope mine are as well made as the OPs....

I would definitely run it for 10k.
If it's any comfort, I got my PSL's at KMart
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have a couple of these PSL 10241's (from K-Mart) for my Ford's....they claim to be 10K filters...do you think they are good for that amount of miles?...The one shown here looks pretty good to me....

I just checked the 2 that I have and they were made on the same date as the one cut open here...1/13/14....I hope mine are as well made as the OPs....

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Looks very good. Maybe these just can't take combustion byproducts differential pressure.
Although, the backed synthetic media PSL filters, like the newer Boss, can't be compared to the much weaker Classics/Reds. They're a whole lot stronger.

Maybe it has nothing to do with pressure?

Maybe it's media deterioration. Don't forget about the ADBV's ripping too..

Where's BOF when you need him!
crackmeup2.gif

I have 5 PSL24651's in my stash I bought from KMart years ago, mine all have 2014 manufacturing dates. That's what I have planned to go on my truck this autumn. The one I previously ran had no problems, and I don't think the wire backed synthetic media in the PSL series ever showed any problems with combustion byproducts at least that I saw posted, including before Photobucket held everyone's publicly displayed images for extortion payment (that I still refuse to pay).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back