BMW "Lifetime" ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asked a dealer 3 times to change the ATF in my 09 X5 30i. Each time I get the "BMW says it doesn't need it"
So, I did a drain and fill. After seeing how hard it was going to be to drop the pan/filter.
mad.gif

Any need to be concerned about the copper and tin levels?

Would you take this report to the dealer to "edumacate" them??
smile.gif

Sure, go ahead.... My guess is they'll tell you something like "BMW says it doesn't need it".

You can change it yourself, as you did. Do what you feel is best. Do you think that they'll change their opinion ?

Mercedes said the trans fluid was lifetime in my 1999 SLK230 Supercharged.

You can't believe how black and nasty it was when I drained it at 42K miles.

I took the pan off and replaced filter. That car had a bolt where you could drain torque converter also. I think it took about 10 quarts total.

I have the kit to change my newer 2013 SLK trans fluid and filter.

Now Mercedes says change mine at 70K and if the big V8 AMG every 40K miles.

Most dealerships know very little about cars, just about marketing and how to sell them/sell services. Once in awhile you come across someone who is very knowledgeable, but that seems rare these days.

I wouldn't bother. In fact they might be upset with you that you "went against recommendation" more than anything else.

You should also reset the transmission adaptations, this requires either a scanner such the Foxwell or others. When I changed the transfer case fluid on my X3 I reset the adaptions and noticed a big improvement in how it shifts.

Did you do a single drain and fill or a flush?

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
Invest the time you'd spend educating the dealer to perform another D&F.

Excellent advice there. I'm afraid there would be no "educating" the dealer anyway.... They're going to do what BMW tells them, not some random guy.

"lifetime" fluid is basically fluid for the lifetime of the part. If only keep a car to 100k and get rid of it. You might be okay. If you like to keep them 200-300k or longer. You need new fluid for sure. I'm surprised they wouldn't take your money. I plan on doing a flush at 40k on my Malibu. I just had the 2nd flush on my Santa Fe at 84k. Will do another at 124k. I like to get my money out of vehicles after paying them off. There's no such thing as fluid that doesn't get dirty or break down over time & wear.

Last edited:
Idiots; BMW calls for a drain and fill on most autoboxes at 100k miles. My dealer never hesitated when I asked for a drain and fill on my E39 528i or my E83 X3 2.5- usually at 60k mile intervals- and the price was reasonable as well.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Do you think that they'll change their opinion ?

No. I think it is a liability/warranty thing with them. If they open the tranny and it shifts "weird" to the owner, or fails in a year, they don't want the owner coming back for a free tranny. That is my suspicion. Some people on the BMW forums also think that is the issue. As someone said, you would think the dealer would like the extra $$$$
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Mercedes said the trans fluid was lifetime in my 1999 SLK230 Supercharged.

Now Mercedes says change mine at 70K and if the big V8 AMG every 40K miles.

Yep. I had the MB dealer do the ATF on my 99 MB CLK320. No objections. I will do it next time, if I have it that long.

And our E350 Calls for every 40k miles. I let the dealer do it. If anything happened to the wifes car.....
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
Invest the time you'd spend educating the dealer to perform another D&F. Which ATF are you using?

I used the ZF fluid. They make the transmission. It is supposed to be the same as the BMW fluid. Some people speculate that the BMW/ZF fluid is Pentosin. I have no idea. Didn't want to take a chance for so few $$$ difference.

Originally Posted By: CoolShirtDude
You should also reset the transmission adaptations, this requires either a scanner such the Foxwell or others.

I know that the Xfer case needs to be reset. The dealer actually DID suggest that it was due for that when I first bought it 2 years ago. So, that is reset. That is one fluid that everyone on the boards say needs to be the BMW fluid.

Originally Posted By: CoolShirtDude
Did you do a single drain and fill or a flush?

Single drain.

Originally Posted By: bradtech
"lifetime" fluid is basically fluid for the lifetime of the part. If only keep a car to 100k and get rid of it. You might be okay. If you like to keep them 200-300k or longer. You need new fluid for sure.

Exactly.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm surprised they wouldn't take your money. .

Me too.

There's no such thing as fluid that doesn't get dirty or break down over time & wear.

Exactly. I look at like this: If the fluid will last forever, why is there a filter?? Filter means there are contaminants, metal particles, etc. Why not get them out and use some new fluid? I would guess that the ATF has some kind of seal conditioners, for instance, that are being CONSUMED. Why not replace with new oil with fresh add package??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Idiots; BMW calls for a drain and fill on most autoboxes at 100k miles.

Apparently this particular transmission series is invincible, and will run 2 million miles on the factory-fill ATF.
smile.gif

Ironically, ZF has a Youtube video on fluid/filter change on this series of AT's, and they say 50-60k miles!
21.gif

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
Idiots; BMW calls for a drain and fill on most autoboxes at 100k miles.

Apparently this particular transmission series is invincible, and will run 2 million miles on the factory-fill ATF.
smile.gif

Ironically, ZF has a Youtube video on fluid/filter change on this series of AT's, and they say 50-60k miles!
21.gif

You are questioning the engineering of the ultimate performance vehicle? Stop it now.

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky

smile.gif

21.gif

I'm definitely changing the ATF and and filter(integral with the pan) on the 8HP45 in my 2er between 50k and 60k.

Our ZF 8 speed in our RAM is one of the easier transmissions to service IME here. The integrated pan and filter is a beautiful piece, makes the job simpler. And with a simple fill hole that requires no exotic tools or scanners the job was simple IMO.

I'm definitely changing the ATF and and filter(integral with the pan) on the 8HP45 in my 2er between 50k and 60k.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Our ZF 8 speed in our RAM is one of the easier transmissions to service IME here. The integrated pan and filter is a beautiful piece, makes the job simpler. And with a simple fill hole that requires no exotic tools or scanners the job was simple IMO.

Yes. the transmission is great. I just don't know why BMW tells the dealers to REFUSE to change the oil.

In my case, I had the pan/filter ready to swap. Car on 4 jack stands. But when I saw that I was going to have to support the tranny and remove the tranny mount, etc., to remove the pan, I just said heck with it and did a fluid swap.
Next time I will have my Indy shop change the pan and fluid.
It will be easier for them on a lift to slip in a jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back