What is your favorite brake pad material?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've like the Ceramic Pads(CoF "FF") as they have just taken out of the things that I didn't like about other pad material. Not that a nice set of semi-mets aren't good as well but for me, it's be too much "Hit or Miss"!

Last edited:
Asbestos?

For my Grand Marquis, it seems to depend heavily on manufacturer. Advance auto's ceramics (wearever gold) where terrible, yet the independent shop's cheaper set (powerstop) bites better and with easier to clean dust. I would have to agree that it really depends on what the manufacturer put on there or what pairs best with the rotor per brake mfr.

Originally Posted By: HorseThief
Asbestos?

For my Grand Marquis, it seems to depend heavily on manufacturer. Advance auto's ceramics (wearever gold) where terrible, yet the independent shop's cheaper set (powerstop) bites better and with easier to clean dust. I would have to agree that it really depends on what the manufacturer put on there or what pairs best with the rotor per brake mfr.

And driving conditions/style. I have akebono street performance pads and they have decent cold bite but after a stop or two they really grab. So I would say average rotor temp plays a big part as well, which ties back into driving style and conditions.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've like the Ceramic Pads(CoF "FF") as they have just taken out of the things that I didn't like about other pad material. Not that a nice set of semi-mets aren't good as well but for me, it's be too much "Hit or Miss"!

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: HorseThief
Asbestos?

And driving conditions/style. I have akebono street performance pads and they have decent cold bite but after a stop or two they really grab. So I would say average rotor temp plays a big part as well, which ties back into driving style and conditions.

This is what I was referring to when I said in the above that, I prefer brake pads with a Coefficient of Friction(CoF) of "FF". When in fact some folks who dislike newly installed pads, whether installed by one's self or a shop that you may just be getting Cof of "GG" and not know it. I DON'T LIKE'EM!

CoF "GG" pads may in fact fade less under extreme conditions(e.g., WearEver GOLD) but, I don't like'em. Give me "FF" any day!

I installed WearEver GOLD ceramic pads on a Lexus w/o knowing that they were "GG"(instead of "FF") and I hated them. Keep in mind that not all applications of brake pads/mfg's are FF or GG, you have to look. My W/E Golds were, others may not be.

Same with any brand of "FF" or "GG" that I've used. However, I can't answer for every brand and/or CoF. This is just my experience and others do like "GG" more than me. If you want your car's brakes to feel like OE, use "FF" or whatever they came with.

Last edited:
That's a complicated question.

On my Suburban I put BrakeBest Ceramic pads with BrakeBest rotors. The way I drive that vehicle, it will be interesting to see how long they last - for some reason I suspect it's more likely I'll warp the rotors before the pads wear out. I'm pretty sure semi-metallic was the factory option, but I picked ceramic because the price difference was virtually nothing.

My Escape is going to get Wagner OEX Ceramic and Bosch rotors next time I have the car back. It's a rental car, I'll definitely report back on how those do. I'm sure I can do better, but that's the best I can get easily at O'Reilly.

My Crown Vic will get Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads and Bosch rotors whenever it needs brakes, though whatever is on there right now is quiet.

I've done brake jobs before... I did brakes on my previous Escape with a $13 set of the cheapest semi-metallic pads available, because I was selling the car anyway and despite the rotors being trashed those brakes performed perfectly and produced no dust. Generally, though, I think Ceramic is the way to go.

Last edited:
On my performance car and truck I tow with semi-metallic. For a daily driver a good set of ceramic work fine enough.

The newer hybrid/no copper ceramic seem to perform a little better than standard ceramic.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Semi metallic, organic, ceramic etc...

Asbestos.
wink.gif

This is what I was referring to when I said in the above that, I prefer brake pads with a Coefficient of Friction(CoF) of "FF". When in fact some folks who dislike newly installed pads, whether installed by one's self or a shop that you may just be getting Cof of "GG" and not know it. I DON'T LIKE'EM!

CoF "GG" pads may in fact fade less under extreme conditions(e.g., WearEver GOLD) but, I don't like'em. Give me "FF" any day!

I installed WearEver GOLD ceramic pads on a Lexus w/o knowing that they were "GG"(instead of "FF") and I hated them. Keep in mind that not all applications of brake pads/mfg's are FF or GG, you have to look. My W/E Golds were, others may not be.

Same with any brand of "FF" or "GG" that I've used. However, I can't answer for every brand and/or CoF. This is just my experience and others do like "GG" more than me. If you want your car's brakes to feel like OE, use "FF" or whatever they came with.

Where do you find that spec? Now I really want to know exactly what I have and what to look for.

EDIT - I guess I found my own answer here:
"Notes: These edge codes are located on the edge of the friction material of every brake pad by government regulation, along with some other codes. The first letter is a grading of the C.F. at 250 F and the second letter is a grading of the material at 600 F. Each letter grade can actually have quite a range of C.F. But a difference in the letter grade from medium to hot temperature could be an indicator of fade. The letters can be in any order. Therefore FE pads fade when hot, and EF pads would not grab when cold.. Also, you should know that Steel on Steel has a C.F. of 0.25!! So EE pads have only marginally more torque than no pads at all! Therefore FF pads are usually considered the minimum for a high-performance pad."

I don't care much for pad material, I just want to see GG printed on the box - knowing that brakes work by friction I want as much friction as I can get!

At Tech we did coefficient of friction tests, and brake linning material wasn't that great, it's how it handles the heat that's important. We found brass was about as good as the asbestos we were using in the '70's...and decades later we were using metalic pads, with brass in them.

Silk,
I remember sintered bronze linings for EHs that for whatever reasons needed the original drums, and my LJs, used to used sintered pads in 1986...hard on the disks, and scary for the first stop at the end of my Parent's street. In my "lesser" vehicles, I tried to get NOS asbestos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back