What's best 2 cycle oil (chainsaws, trimmers, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Ben, now you tell me that Redline Racing oil is junk:) After all those ruined engines:)

FWIW, Castrol TTS is the required oil in our 2 stroke self launching motorglider, DG800B. TTS is a full synthetic (in Castrol's mind?) and seems to work quite well. The engine has a life span of 400 hours, which is quite good as compared to a similar Rotax (250 hours). Castrol TTS also meets E-GD specs.

Chris

Has anyone noticed that for years high flash points of 2 stroke oil was best for protecton? Now alot of the newer stuff has lower flash points. Seems like they have changed their way of thinking. Cleaner burning seems to be in.
Amsoil 100 to 1, flash point 507 F.
Amsoil Series 2000, flash point 235 F.
Amsoil AIO, flash point 205 F.
Maxima Formula K2, flash point 240 F.
Maxima Super M, flash point 280 F.
Mobil MX2T, flash point 190 F.
Castrol TTS, flash point 169 F.
Valvoline 2 stroke motorcycle oil, flash point 172 F.
I Just thought the trend was intresting.
dunno.gif

Flashpoint is only posted for shipping purposes. It basicaly only tells you at what point the dilluent burns at so it really has no bearing on a oils high temp capabilitys. Also some companys post a oils endpoint( temp at which the oil completly combusts) and call it flash point or fire point in their sales literature. You are correct about clean burning being in. The less deposits in the engine the less wear that will occure and the less chance of spark plug fouling and pre ignition. I have actually seen a engine run on mx2t for 20 race hours( a huge amount fora race cart) in a shifter Kart which had no carbon in the exhaust port, no varnish on the piston and a combustion chamber and piston crown that had a creamed coffee pateena.

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
Flashpoint is only posted for shipping purposes. It basicaly only tells you at what point the dilluent burns at so it really has no bearing on a oils high temp capabilitys.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That makes since.

Interesting about the shifter kart. It sure beats the heak out of the old castor oil days.

Been reading alot on 2 stroke oils. Something that seemed strange is Klotz has a RPM limit on their 2 stroke oils.

Klotz oil leaves alot to be desired. The castor blend oils burn really dirty and the full syn oils they sell arent much better. I have used r-50 and supertechniplate in mx bikes and I have used klotz snowmobile in my sleds. The only thing I liked about them was the smell, other than that they are high price, low performance oils.

Blano,
Just tried the first of the the MX2T you recommended. Seems to mix well and no smoke at even 40:1. Thanks for the info
Greg Harrison

Greg, It will not smoke if the mototr is tuned properly at 20:1. I just ordered three cases of MX2T myself. I haved moved to a place with no retail outlets for it, so I have to stock up.

Hirev-it did seem that castrol tried to pull one over on use with that deal. Although they won there case against mobile.

Oh great! Now we are supposed to believe that the outcome of court cases somehow reflect reality.

Last fall my battery-powered trimmer quit and I decided to try a two stroke, gas trimmer. Bought a cheap model WeedEater from WalMart. Two bottles of Poulan two stroke oil were included in the box. I mixed one with a gallon of gasoline following the instructions. I had read some on this forum about using synthetics but was too cheap to throw away the Poulan stuff. Anyhow, it never ran very well (hard to start, needed choke all the time, poor acceleration, etc.) but I thought this must be how they run.
Finally used up the gallon and decided to try some Mobil 1 MX2T. Used it yesterday and couldn't beleive the difference. Started first pull and ran like a scalded cat. I haven't bothered to pull the plug or look inside, but I'm now a believer in synthetics for two strokes. Have used synthetics in my cars like forever.

I just mixed up a gallon of of MX2T at 40:1 for my cheap WeedEater leaf blower. What a difference! Before with Pennzoil, if I let it idle after a hard run it would load if terribly. With the MX2T, it does not load up near as much and seems to run more RPM's on top end.

I have used Amsoil 100:1 for about 1 year now mixed at 80:1 for all of my 2 stroke equipment. All my yard equipment is 2 stroke. Lawnboy lawnmower = 32:1, weed wacker 50:1, chain saw 40:1, blower 50:1, snow blower 32:1, ATV 32:1, and outboard 32:1. I now have 1 gas can for all of them!!! I do not worry about the gas going bad anymore. My equipment runs much better! The difference is night and day for my lawn mower. My father and I were cutting fire wood this last winter. He only uses 50:1 in his saw. I use amsoil in my saw. He ran out and was very impressed how litte smoke came from my saw and it seemed to run great. I filled his saw up with my mix. He could not believe the difference in his saw. I had to buy him a quart of the 100:1 after that.

Back many years ago, my neighbor gave me some Yamalube he had laying around and I ran it in my old '75 Lawn-Boy at 16:1 because I was convinced by the label on the mower that said 32:1 on Lawn-Boy oil, and 16:1 on other brands. It worked great, and produced less smoke then the LB oil did with half as much in the gas! It also seemed to run smoother, and had a much more pleasant smell to it.

I will be trying MX2T in my newest Lawn-Boy DuraForce engine.

Brons2, The cheap SeaDoo oil is not a good choice in my opinion. I raced those rascals for 3.5 years and have owned them since 1990. Every time I used the (free to me) SeaDoo oil I had early ring sticking, rapid wear on the exhaust port side and the resulting early engine overhaul. Those signs are characteristic of a poor oil.

The use of M1 MX2t will eliminate the risk of ring sticking and will reduce the wear on the ex port side of the rings. This is due to the better high temperature lubrication the synthetic oil provides.

Also, SeaDoo synthetic oil (the expensive stuff) may in fact be Castrol TTS or a variety of it. An oil that meets the exact same specs as the M1.

By the way, there is nothing in the M1 MX2t specification that does not meet SeaDoo's requirements.

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by Cujet:

By the way, it meets EGD and API TC requirements. So, use in a SeaDoo engine is OK as far as warranty is concerned.

Chris

My seadoo specifically says not to use TCW3 oil. It asks for the 1st generation (TC-W) oil with higher ash in it. I just use the Seadoo/Bombardier oil, which is about $15 a gallon. Was thinking of going to the Amsoil injector lube but really the SD oil works fine so I'll stick with that.

Amazing thread. I own a landscape/maintenance company. Lots of 2 cycle stuff. I run ONLY Opti 2. I have trimmers with well over 3000 hours on them and still running strong. Never had to clean the carbon or gunk out of them. They don't have any. Plugs last a lot longer. I've been using it only for 5 seasons now and never had 1 failure. All this "the dealer said" or "a friend said" is just too funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back