What's best 2 cycle oil (chainsaws, trimmers, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The major manufacturers (Stihl, Husky, Echo) all market their own 50:1 oil. Are these all basically the same?

Are they really premium or just adequate?

What about Mobil MX2T? Is it better?

I want the largest margin of safety for my 2 cycle equipment?

I'm just in the process of getting my Stihl gas trimmer running right again. I tried to use a Redline synthetic snomo premix oil in it and it just wouldn't run right on it. Another thing I learned about Stihl is that they don't like to run on stale fuel. I may purchase a new Echo yet if I get PO'd enough with this 6 year old machine, as I have to put a new carb kit in it now. I'd stick to whatever oil the manufacturer recommends for your application as it should offer more than enough protection.

I run my chain saw and Stihl weeder on Amsoil 100:1. Both work great on this oil. Better is Amsoil Series 2000 2-stroke oil, but I will slowly use up the 100:1 first.

Many people get paranoid about 100:1 (myself included), but I got over it, because the oil itself is not as dilute as most 2-stroke oils and following the oil recommendation not the tool is best. Even Carl at Carl's Mower and Saw says this.

**** from Falls Church said the 100:1 was tested to 300:1...I dunno about that, but 100:1 is fine for me.

Stihl orange bottle,and husky oil are mediocre quality and high price. Stihl black bottle and echo premium are decent oils, but again are over priced for what you get. Mobil Mx2t will blow all the above mentioned out of the water performance wise and cost less. If cost isnt a issue motul 800 and maxima k2 are both excellant oils as well.

"the oil itself is not as dilute as most 2-stroke oils"
I dont know if I buy that. It seems to me you would run into miscability problems if not. More than likely the juiced it up with mettalic anti scuff and wear additives. What people do not understand is that two strokes do not run better on less oil. They in fact make less power and the engines carbon up more with less oil.

"**** from Falls Church said the 100:1 was tested to 300:1...I dunno about that, but 100:1 is fine for me"

I got some four ball oil tests I cxan show you......
smile.gif

Amsoil 100 to 1 seems to work well for me I have been using it for years ,it is one of the better products they make IMO.

i just bought some of the new poulan synthetic 2 stroke oil. seems to work great so far. i'm using it in a homelite zip start straight shaft weedeater, and a poulan pro blower. it's a 40:1 mix so it runs well in most 2 cycle yard equipment. i purchased it at wallmart. if i can remember right, it was around 5.99. enough to make 6 gallons of mix. it has a built in squeeze type measuring cup. previously used pennzoil 40:1, which served well, although i did have some plug fouling issues. penz.

[ June 16, 2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: penzdude ]

oh yeah, i almost forgot, i ran into this stuff in the lawn and garden dept, not where they keep the automotive oils and the other 2 cycle mix. hope this helps a little.

Blano,
I've seen MX2T locally in pints but there's no mixing instructions on the bottle. Is it generally used 50:1? (ie 2.6 oz/gallon)

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
Stihl orange bottle,and husky oil are mediocre quality and high price. Stihl black bottle and echo premium are decent oils, but again are over priced for what you get. Mobil Mx2t will blow all the above mentioned out of the water performance wise and cost less. If cost isnt a issue motul 800 and maxima k2 are both excellant oils as well.

I'd recommend the Amsoil 100:1, mixed at that ratio. I've been using and selling it for about 10 years and it works flawlessly in applications calling for 40:1 or 50:1 mixes. As I've pointed out in the past, this formulation isn't diluted with solvents - that's why it has a flash point of 507F and a pour point of only -17F. By comparison, the Amsoil injector oil has a flash point of about 160F and a pour point of approx -45F, so it is cut with solvent. In the latter case, the very low pour point is required for snowmobile use in oil injection systems.

TooSlick

I use Klotz synthetic snowmobile oil in my weedwacker and chain saw, if you have ever used Klotz you know it has that nitro racey smell to it, so it makes those unpleasent chores just a little more fun.

I have used Amsoil 100-1 oil for 5 years now with good results. I mix it in a five gallon can, which makes the ratio more like an 80:1. Have two lawnboys, Homelite weed whacker, Stihl saw and Homelite leaf blower. Use this mix in all of them.
cheers.gif

I use the Amsoil 100:1. Best stuff I've ever used. Super, super clean. No durability issues in the last 5 years. It gets used in a Homelite blower, a Weedeater ultralite line trimmer, and a Weedeater hedge trimmer.

At the moment I have Schaeffer's 7000 2-cycle oil mixed in my gas can. I also have on the shelf some Amsoil 100:1 and the Poulan Synthetic. All three of these oils have performed great in my leaf blower and weed eater. I'm probably going to stick with the Schaeffer's though because it seems to run a bit smoother. Smoke and plug fouling has not been a problem with any of the oils mentioned.

quote:

Why in the world would some one want to run as little oils as possible in a two cycle?

But assuming that the Amsoil 100:1 is not diluted with solvent as much as the others, you really wouldn't be using less oil. Am I understanding this correctly? I see it as comparing two bottles of laundry detergent, the regular and the concentrated.
dunno.gif

I dont know if I buy the solvent explanation. MX2T has about 15% solvent. The differance between 32:1 and 100:1 is a much greater percentage than 15%. Besides why does every other company that maxes two cycle oil besides amsoil add solvent? Is amsoil privy to knowkledge that Mobil doesnt have? I think not as amsoil actually buys their base oils from Mobil. I think more than likely what Amssil has done is to load the formualtion up with lots of mettalic antiwear additives. If the are doing this it would be terrible from a pre ignition, and deposit standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back