Will You Buy An Autonomous Car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
+ about 100
laugh.gif

I believe in never say never. My new house is pre-wired to charge 2 electric vehicles in the garage and 1 outside for visitors. 240V

No because I like to stay alive. There have been several people killed because this technology does not work 100%, 100% of the time!

Here on BITOG I would think that the answer (NO) by at least 90% of forum members would be obvious.

But that's just me........

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Will you buy an Autonomous Car or do you enjoy driving and being in control?

We've done some long drives in heavy traffic where I'd probably be happy with an autonomous vehicle.
My wife might like one three out of five days on her commute, but she has never found driving as entertaining as I do and she does endure a brutal route with accidents here and there and heavy traffic most days. Most of the time, I'm happy leaving the driving to me.

I will if everyone goes to autonomous. I trust autonomous vehicles amongst each other, but not when humans are involved.

Due to the nature that others aren't going to buy an autonomous car, I will not either.

I live in a semi-rural area and I'm hoping autonomous will become "the norm" before I have to give up my driver's licence due to advancing age. I should have 15 years of driving before that becomes very likely - and my bet is that autonomous driving technology will be there by then.

I expect autonomous will have advantages - closely spaced vehicles at speed, traffic coordinated with traffic signals, higher highway speeds, drive away and return on demand instead of parking lots, super dense rotisserie type parking, etc.

At some point "drive it yourself" won't even be practical. Though they'll have self driving areas for week-end nostalgia driving. But you'll have to sign a waiver that if you wreck your classic car, get injured, run into someone, or someone runs into you, they won't be responsible.

While the programmers and vendors are not held strictly liable for THEIR programming, they shouldn't even be on the roads now.

As to the future..."Ownership", and autonomous vehicles won't be in the same sentence.

Punch your trip into an app on your phone. Car picks you up, takes you where you need to be, then gets the next person in the schedule to where they need to be.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Will you buy an Autonomous Car or do you enjoy driving and being in control?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I enjoy driving and being in control far too much. I'm a EE and I can tell you I think Autonomous cars are a VERY bad idea. People will die, lawsuits will happen and that will be the end of that (for a decade or so).

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I believe in never say never. My new house is pre-wired to charge 2 electric vehicles in the garage and 1 outside for visitors. 240V

I have done the same in my new house (in garage area only) but that has nothing to do with an Autonomous car.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
While the programmers and vendors are not held strictly liable for THEIR programming, they shouldn't even be on the roads now.

As to the future..."Ownership", and autonomous vehicles won't be in the same sentence.

Punch your trip into an app on your phone. Car picks you up, takes you where you need to be, then gets the next person in the schedule to where they need to be.

This is the direction I see things going. I’ll likely be gone before that happens.

I commuted about 32 miles a leg for 30 yrs. A great ride was an hour Worst was around 4 hrs. I got sick of hard rock FM and went to talking books about 15 yrs in. Last job was expediting permits and that was at least 1000 miles a week. I'm perfectly fine not driving if I can help it. The Camry is a very comfortable ride around town In a a couple weeks I'll be taking a 500 mile round trip to the Adirondacks. This will be its first road trip. Plenty of 2k mile road trips in 528es. Most were enjoyable, until they weren't. We had the grand boys over today. Thats where I'm at these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back