98 leaves needs work or 02 taurus,which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the Buick needs to be properly diagnosed. I would pressure test the cooling system after replacing the radiator. Radiators on a L36 3800 are not hard to replace and are cheap as well, replace it first. Second pressure test it , you may find a leak anywhere from a hose to the plastic coolant elbows. If nothing visible is leaking on a pressure test well then block test it. Rule out a internal leak before you scrap it. GM 3800 are not known for head gasket problems, Ford essex 3.8 well thats another story. I owned a 97 GTP L67 , went to 280k before the 4t65E trans blew. I had a leaking rad , bad intake gaskets and leaking coolant elbows. Fixed those and never had a problem with the car for another 50K.

I just saw a Saturn 2000 l series listed, 106,000 miles,listed fair condition.how about that? $800...

Old cars are not a good deal if you have to pay mechanics for the inevitable repairs rather than work on them yourself.

There is no good way to patch a plastic radiator; replace it. And quit using stop leak at all. The money you waste on that [censored] could have been spent toward proper repairs or a new car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Well I liked the Duratec engine. Power steering pump was cheap. Transmission problems were more on the Vulcan engine which had the AX4S instead of the AX4N on the Duratec, later they all got the AX4N. I think the spline was weaker on the transmission after 2003 so the torque converter tended to go. Taurus also blew head gaskets, but many people got over 200k, mine was done in by the transmission with over 200k on it. The rare one to get would be the 2005 Taurus, last year they made it with the Duratec available as an option, but if you look for the Sable LS, those also tended to come with the Duratec engine, basically 200 hp instead of 155 with the Vulcan.

no input with this thread, but, I was always more partial to the Vulcan, mainly because it was a local product.

But, having said that, from an auto enthusiast standpoint, Duratec hands down.
It was originally designed by Porsche,who then sold it to Ford. Ford then had Cosworth finish the design.
Rocketeer now sells a kit to put the Jag version of the Duratec (it had the best heads)into a Miata. The Duratec v6(aluminum) actually weighs less than the Miata 4cyl(Iron)

Last edited:
Well,I decided on a 2000 satur n l series,listed.106,000 miles, $800. By plates (I'm in ct) 516 area code. I don't wanna put no money into a car th made so youde have more work,money out I to it,especially since Redbook eats up gaskets,I found out.

Didn't get the saturn.went too look at it,brother in law..my plates,he had after the car replaced,car looked all rusted into place,like a walnut,their was a flex muffler,before the cat,made an exhaust noise. Oil level was down at least 2 quarts set think it was 3,..as pump ,made a screeching kinda noise. He told my brother in law, it's from the bronx...his college years. He's buying a subaru,and selling his beater,as is.didn't tell me that.oh well😕

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back