will they ever be a push back on car technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know - you lose your key and it costs maybe $200 for a new one, (at the dealer) , or your tv screen in the dash fails and the dealer wants $500 to diagnose and replace it, or your map function needs a software upgrade, or the rain sensor to turn on the wipers fails (so you have to turn on the wipers manually OMG!) or the power lift gate malfunctions??

or the lane assist "pusher" servo fails, either does not push enough or horrors , pushes too much - whats the repair cost? canyou disable it or will it stay on (if that a fail mode?

dealers must be loving it

Last edited:
Try $350 (no joke, that's how much a Mazda dealer charge my other dealer who promised 2 keys when they deliver only 1).

The future is likely going to be junkyard / eBay DIY + ignore and trade in then ship oversea for low cost repair. No one "repair" something once in a blue moon anymore, they either swap in a module and send the old one elsewhere to rebuild / refurb / reman.

Eventually the market will figure out what to charge and either lower price, or people refuse to pay and live with things. Cars these days aren't repaired here anymore, they just ship them as is oversea for refurbish for local customers. $100 vs $10 labor cost plus more forgiving customers make the choice very obvious.

Last edited:
Very true demarpaint...

I think about distracted driving... And there's a whole lot of that in the cars and trucks newer than my car. The only upgrade my car didn't have was the map/ navigation system. Which I do not need.

I hope there is pushback....cars have gotten more complicated than necessary IMO...couple that with high repair costs and it's easy to see why so many people lease....

I would love to get my hands on a simple car made for rugged third world environments. That's where they are building simple cars, North Americans are wayyyyyyyy too decadent for crank windows and LCD displays.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Try $350 (no joke, that's how much a Mazda dealer charge my other dealer who promised 2 keys when they deliver only 1).

The future is likely going to be junkyard / eBay DIY + ignore and trade in then ship oversea for low cost repair. No one "repair" something once in a blue moon anymore, they either swap in a module and send the old one elsewhere to rebuild / refurb / reman.

Eventually the market will figure out what to charge and either lower price, or people refuse to pay and live with things. Cars these days aren't repaired here anymore, they just ship them as is oversea for refurbish for local customers. $100 vs $10 labor cost plus more forgiving customers make the choice very obvious.

Mercedes is up to $500 for a keyless go key, the more basic ones without it were more like $300. They did come out with a newer key on the more recent models and people are reporting those are more like $750.

There will be some pushback to repeal the TPMS law of 2008 once more of these cars get older and it costs an extra $100 to relearn the TMPS or replace, or whatever.

There is already pushback with thin oil. Ford went back to 5w30 in some of their trucks, for example. Port injectors are being added back to GDI engines.

I would personally like to see a bit of regression in technology in cars. I think around the 2004-2008 time period was good as far as Ford and Mazda goes. Of course the new engines could stay, but everything seemed easier in that time period. I have to learn new parts all the time. Ford no longer just has a DLC, it is a "gateway module." Engine bay mounted fuse boxes are only serviced in a complete engine harness on a lot of applications.

O and even as a dealer employee who is completely jaded to parts prices, keys are out of hand.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I would love to get my hands on a simple car made for rugged third world environments. That's where they are building simple cars, North Americans are wayyyyyyyy too decadent for crank windows and LCD displays.

Support efforts to allow EU-spec cars to be sold here (and US-spec cars to be sold elsewhere). Then we'll be able to import some of those vehicles.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Support efforts to allow EU-spec cars to be sold here (and US-spec cars to be sold elsewhere). Then we'll be able to import some of those vehicles.

I want a Lada Niva so badly the new ones are soooo coooool and spartan.
Not even going to mention hiluxes and land rover defenders.

Just for giggles:

Car options should be categorized into 3 (?) columns. I'm open to other ideas.

1) Make the engine "better" / less polluting

2) Toys we always could've done without.

3) Safety options / developments

Put every single thing into its category and see which you want to pay for and which you can do without.

RULE: Don't say silly things like no pollution controls or bring back non-safety glass.

These types of vehicles are already available in the USA.

Guess what. They don't sell.

Infotainment and other related gadgetry are selling because customers are demanding it. The good news is I can now buy a 2012 Nissan Versa with less than 50,000 miles for $4000 wholesale and $5500 retail.

The bad news? It will sit before someone out there in God's green Earth will buy it. In the meantime I can sell a chorus line of Grand Cherokees that cost nearly 10 times as much.

Just the way it is and, no, most new car shoppers do not care as long as it's the latest and greatest.

maybe the lane assist would have to have its own alignmwnt if it did not push you over into the right space or if it was a foot to the left or right

and I have never had a car stolen so what the expensive keys and labor charges

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
Just for giggles:

Car options should be categorized into 3 (?) columns. I'm open to other ideas.

1) Make the engine "better" / less polluting

2) Toys we always could've done without.

3) Safety options / developments

Put every single thing into its category and see which you want to pay for and which you can do without.

RULE: Don't say silly things like no pollution controls or bring back non-safety glass.

I think that criteria basically references what often passes for a "base model" today. There's always going to be "feature creep" in the industry...and a car you can get with "only" power locks/windows, cruise control, air conditioning, adjustable drivers seat, etc. vs. a vehicle with rear traffic alert, multi-zone heating/cooling, automatic collision intervention, etc. Power windows/locks have become universal just as rear view cameras have...so you might pick a model year as the demarcation line.

Push back would likely refer to the elimination of unpopular and more current extras more than taking the technology to a simpler product due to public demand. That's more a third world type of marketing scheme because in richer, industrialized countries they'll simply make it so "you can't go home again" and feature creep will be used to standardize things.

THIS NEW CAR TECHNOLOGY SCARES THE HEAVENS OUTTA ME..

MY NEXT CAR I AM LOOKING TO GO PLAIN JANE SIMPLE MINIMAL OPTIONS AND TECH IF I CAN.

ABOUT THE KEY SITUATION I WOULD NEVER EVER BUY A CAR NEW OR OLD IF THE DEALER DID NOT PROVIDE AT LEAST 2 KEYS FOR THE VEHICLE ESPECIALLY THESE CHIP KEYS AND KEYLESS FOBS.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
THIS NEW CAR TECHNOLOGY SCARES THE HEAVENS OUTTA ME..

MY NEXT CAR I AM LOOKING TO GO PLAIN JANE SIMPLE MINIMAL OPTIONS AND TECH IF I CAN.

ABOUT THE KEY SITUATION I WOULD NEVER EVER BUY A CAR NEW OR OLD IF THE DEALER DID NOT PROVIDE AT LEAST 2 KEYS FOR THE VEHICLE ESPECIALLY THESE CHIP KEYS AND KEYLESS FOBS.

No need to shout.

Consider this, the first time this “new technology” saves you from hitting another vehicle or object or worst case, a person, it has just paid for itself many times over.

My friend works in a shop that does oil changes and emissions, so he sees tons of cars everyday that come through. He said it's amazing how many cars have check engine lights on and things not working. A lot of these cars are less than 10 years old, and the features were too expensive to fix so they were not repaired.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

No need to shout.

Consider this, the first time this “new technology” saves you from hitting another vehicle or object or worst case, a person, it has just paid for itself many times over.

Agreed, but at the same time people start relying only on the technology. When I was in insurance, backup cams caused all sorts of problems. People in parking lots would look through the backup cam when backing out of a spot, and fail to see the car coming from the side behind them.

We had a person who caused a three car accident admit they were looking through their backup cam when they backed out of their driveway onto a busy street.
33.gif

A lot of this is driver training. Drivers should be trained to use the technology as an aid, not something they completely rely on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back