Reason For Being Cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it, most people are BOTH big spenders and thrifty at the same time. I've looked at my friends and all have some of both traits in them. Some will spend heavily on nice cars but wouldn't dream of going on a nice vacation. The way I see it, unless your a rich person, your going to need to be cheap in at least some items in life. Money if finite. For me, I'm tight when it comes to things I can do myself. I can fix cars and most household items, so I buy used and never hire anyone to fix them. On the other hand, I'll drop good money on nice vacations. Some expenses in life are un-advoidable....such as medical and dental and the house payment. So I am cheap where it doesn't hurt so I can afford the rest of how I live.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Zee09
Are you thrifty out of necessity or you just plain out cheap because that is how you roll?

I don't consider myself thrifty. Cheap in some areas, spendthrift in others.

If I'm looking at something less than $20 I tend to buy it with little research--I can usually afford to throw away. More than that and I want to research it. I might buy the cheapest because I'll use once, or the utility/cost factor is best. Or I might buy the best because it's actually the cheapest cost per use.

On expensive items I do try to know when I will hit the break even point. How long do I plan to own/use? As long as the item makes it to that point I'm content. If it doesn't then I chose poorly. But more importantly it forces me to examine the logistics of the purchase, cost per use, TCO, etc. The more expensive it is the more I need to examine cradle to grave.

I've done spreadsheets while trying to determine what tire to buy.

I don't understand how you can throw away $20. Do you mean an item that's marketed differently?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My parents went through the Great Depression and I was taught to be not wasteful or overly extravagant.

Personally I've found no great pleasure - only guilt - in hedonism and consumerism so I suppose I'm value and practical oriented.

Plus I'm 1/2 Scot.

A Scottish guy once told me that Scotts are not cheap....it's just a rumor they started so they don't have to spend much money....

I'm somewhere in the middle

I've seen goods and services being marked up so much that in hindsight, I learn to DIY

But there are things I refuse to cheap out on, because I know it'll cost me more in the long run

Unfortunately, I can't tie these traits to my COO or ethnic background, because I'm a real mutt

A lot like my budget...
12.gif

I don't consider my tastes to be all that extravagant. I buy what I like, but only at a reasonable price. For example, when I upgraded my main home theater I did so over several months, picking up components as they went on sale. The components I replaced were incorporated into a 5.1 home theater/gaming system in the basement rec room. All in all I bought almost every item for 40% off MSRP or better.
With cars I usually buy a CPO and run it for 6-10 years.

You shouldn't be cheap, you should be frugal.

Being cheap is spending the least amount of money, period. Being frugal is getting the most for your dollar.

“You don’t always get what you pay for but you always have to pay for what you get.” My job is to save $$ and get the best deal. That often isn’t getting the cheapest thing possible.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My parents went through the Great Depression and I was taught to be not wasteful or overly extravagant.

Personally I've found no great pleasure - only guilt - in hedonism and consumerism so I suppose I'm value and practical oriented.

Plus I'm 1/2 Scot.

A Scottish guy once told me that Scotts are not cheap....it's just a rumor they started so they don't have to spend much money....
That, me lad, is a hoot, man!

Originally Posted By: onetwoothreee
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Zee09
Are you thrifty out of necessity or you just plain out cheap because that is how you roll?

I don't consider myself thrifty. Cheap in some areas, spendthrift in others.

If I'm looking at something less than $20 I tend to buy it with little research--I can usually afford to throw away. More than that and I want to research it. I might buy the cheapest because I'll use once, or the utility/cost factor is best. Or I might buy the best because it's actually the cheapest cost per use.

On expensive items I do try to know when I will hit the break even point. How long do I plan to own/use? As long as the item makes it to that point I'm content. If it doesn't then I chose poorly. But more importantly it forces me to examine the logistics of the purchase, cost per use, TCO, etc. The more expensive it is the more I need to examine cradle to grave.

I've done spreadsheets while trying to determine what tire to buy.

I don't understand how you can throw away $20. Do you mean an item that's marketed differently?
I don't understand your question. Lemme rephrase it--I don't sweat over a $20 (or less) item. More than $20 and I do all sorts of web surfing to see what is a good deal, what is junk and what is best. I can afford to gamble on items less than $20, if I don't know much about it--I can just decide on the spot.

For example, few years ago I bought some Zenni glasses. At $20 I was willing to buy without trying on. Not quite the best fit but good enough, and I got a few years out of them--but I was willing to throw out if they didn't work. Year ago I needed new glasses (prescription change) and this time I went with $50 glasses--and boy did I agonize over the price bump. This time one of the pairs didn't work and they sit on my dresser as a reminder (granted they are an emergency backup so not quite a full loss). Another year and I might just buy from the local store--try before buy--and know that they will work. But that will cost $300 to know that I'm not wasting anything.

Granted, if a regular pair of glasses cost $300 I can afford to pick 3 wrong Zenni's.

Like others, my parents grew up during the Depression and WWII, and started a family in the aftermath. NZ was not as hard hit as the UK or Europe, we were never invaded, but we are remote, and supplies were a problem...no one had anything, they all had to ''make do.'' I remember them getting every little thing for their home...oh, how proud Mum was when she got a refridgerator ! I didn't have shoes, and all my clothes were home made or passed down, but that was ok, everyone else was living the same life.

I call myself a bottom feeder...I get things other people dispose of, and repurpose them for my life. I seldom buy a car or motorcycle that is running, because if they were going I'd have to pay more. My $500 Volvo was a non runner, my wife's car had so much dog stink you couldn't sit in it, and so cheap. My smart phone cost me nothing, a hand me down from one of my kids, I have a $50 TV, it replaces the $10 TV. I'm just not a consumer, I'm no help to the economy at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back