2018 Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
awesome car want one bad....I love how members on here say they got such a great deal on their trd-in. I chuckle at this whenever I see this mentioned. if you really think you got the larger wishbone in this purchase I assure you it's not the case.

Virginia DMV lets you transfer a plate from another and some dealers have the ability to do DMV work in-house. They have either plates there (Harley dealer had them there when I bought my motorcycle) or you can transfer or you can get a temp plate. The Challenger had a huge blind spot there the seat back blocked the quarter window, 20" tires make noise, ride rough and the track pack suspension rides rough (not that the Mustang is much better). Most of all I was tired of shifting gears. I really did do fairly well on the deal as I owe $ OTD 13.5K on a new GT Premium with nav, automatic and all the good stuff. Also, the Challenger is low to the ground and I had to be careful at parking curbs and would scrape on a steep driveway where the Mustang doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Also, the Challenger is low to the ground and I had to be careful at parking curbs and would scrape on a steep driveway where the Mustang doesn't.

Ah yes, I have that problem with the Charger as well - gotta be extra careful when pulling into parking spaces not to hang the front bumper on the curb. I still can't believe Dodge did not bother to offer front parking sensors on this car, not even as an option.
frown.gif

If I did not need the practicality of 4 doors, Mustang would have been my pick as well.

Originally Posted By: billt460

I know you can get them over the counter at the DMV if you drive there. But I have never heard of a dealer issuing them right from the dealership on a new car purchase.

That's one area where things differ up here in Ontario. When you buy a new car the dealer asks you if you want to use your existing plates or order new ones. Either way, when you drive off the lot, you have plates on your car. When I bought my Corvette the salesman installed my personalized plates himself.

Originally Posted By: earthbound
awesome car want one bad....I love how members on here say they got such a great deal on their trd-in. I chuckle at this whenever I see this mentioned. if you really think you got the larger wishbone in this purchase I assure you it's not the case.

I just said I did better than I expected, but I do understand the dealer is in a money grab to squeeze as much as they can from you.

Just curious. How did you manage to get a plate on a brand new car in one day? Here in Arizona, (and in Illinois when I lived there), you could not transfer an already issued plate to another car. Regardless of how old or new it is / was. New plate applications take 4 to 6 weeks to process. Until then you get a temporary dealer issued tag that looks like this.

This is very odd. I still have my original plate number from my first car. It's been my number for about 10 cars over 30 years. My second plate has been on three cars over 14 years. These are random numbers issued by IL SS office. I think you flushed your Illinois memories away, and I certainly don't blame you!!

BTW, very nice ride! I jumped into my Mustang 16 years ago and it's still my baby! I'll have it forever. Only 65k on it now and it's only seen rain seven times. I'd love a new one, but we can't own two of these in this climate. Maybe someday!

Just curious. How did you manage to get a plate on a brand new car in one day? Here in Arizona, (and in Illinois when I lived there), you could not transfer an already issued plate to another car. Regardless of how old or new it is / was. New plate applications take 4 to 6 weeks to process. Until then you get a temporary dealer issued tag that looks like this.

Sure you can. You own the plate and can put it on whatever car you want.

I had a plate for my 97' Camry, sold it, then bought my 00' Camry and went into a 3rd party DMV place to get it titled and brought my old plate and they registered it with it. (I won't go to the regular DMV, but they'd do the same thing).

My grandpa also has handicap plates, his current plate is on it's 3rd car.

The dealer probably can't put your old plate on, but the DMV can.

Here's that plate on both cars:

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Did you have to pay the difference? Or were both vehicles the same age? For example, in Arizona the old plate on my 1991 Mustang cost $46.00 for 2 years. In contrast the tags for my then new 2015 Jeep were over $550.00 for the first year. So they just issued new tags. In contrast in Illinois, (when I lived there back in the 80's), license plates cost the same, (I believe they were $50.00 a year at the time), regardless of the age of the vehicle.

My dad has the most decrepit old license plates on his cars...including a '16 Honda CR-V my mom drives. It's a matter of pride with him to keep the old plates for some reason. He also leaves expired Hamilton County Park stickers on the windshield, either in a circle, or in a row up the a-pillar.

Originally Posted By: fcjeep

That's a very loving gesture you did for your wife. Bravo. Hope she does well with her health issues.

Great looking car too.

+1!!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Did you have to pay the difference? Or were both vehicles the same age? For example, in Arizona the old plate on my 1991 Mustang cost $46.00 for 2 years. In contrast the tags for my then new 2015 Jeep were over $550.00 for the first year. So they just issued new tags. In contrast in Illinois, (when I lived there back in the 80's), license plates cost the same, (I believe they were $50.00 a year at the time), regardless of the age of the vehicle.
I can't remember what the difference was, but they said it would save a little bit rather than paying for a new plate.

For my Grandfather's Jeep we were thinking of switching the plate to his other handicap plate he used to have on another car, the 3rd party DMV said it would be $4 to swap it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back