Oil for Older Honda HR214 Lawnmower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going up one step is a safe move. Try a 10W40 or 15W40, especially the latter. The additive package of those heavy-duty oils would be better for an air cooled engine which runs seasonally.

Brand? That's a personal choice and I don't think you can make a really bad one. I'm partial to Chevron and Pennzoil for conventional oils.

I'm trying to standardize all my lawn & garden equipment on Schaeffer's 7000 series 15W40 synthetic blend with moly.

--- Bror Jace

I have been using hte cheapest synthetic I can find for years now. Recently, I mixed 50-50 10W30 synthetic (wal mart) with 10W340 maxlife as I felt the 10W30 wal mart was too thin.

I will say, the Schaeffers Neutra is amazing in small engines. My lawn mower and my 2 cycle equip has never run better, idled better then it is now after Neutra.

There is a problem with making things last too long though. My Sears Craftsman mower is now 14 years old and I tried to order parts last week, well, no longer being made. So, an example of the engine and maintenance outliving the rest of the machine.

[ August 26, 2002, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

I have the same mower (a 1988 model) and have been running 10w-30 synthetic in it; changed once a year. I'd recommend mobil 1, 10w-30 - you'll probably get another 10 years out of it. I was also running 10w-30 synthetic in my 11 hp riding mower and the engine was still running fine after 25 years.

TooSlick

Since motorcycles use a 10W40, that and 15W40 is what I use.

What I have found on some mowers, is that if you will idle the engine before shutoff, then you get less fuel dilation on the ring pack, and less fuel crreping into the bottom of the cylinder.

Also, store your mower so that side with the spark plug is always higher than any other side. This keeps the oil drained away from the combustion chamber. And replace your Spark Plugs once a year.

My family has had several Honda mowers.
1989 Honda mower bought new, the oil recommendation was 20W50. Still ran good after 13 years till it was stolen. 1990 Honda mower, oil recommendation was 20W50, still runs good. 1998 Honda mower, oil recommendation was either 10W30 or a straight 30 in warmer weather. Both of the "older mowers" had a 20W50 recommendation, so that would be my choice especially with the age of the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back