Do you often use gasoline discount programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently using the following :

1. Plenti - Exxon Mobil discount card - now changing to Exxon Mobil Rewards Plus (Plenti program expiring on July 10th)
2. Shell - Fuel rewards card
3. Costco gas

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I used to do it, but the local grocery store gas prices are now higher than the cheap stations around the corner. At one point, they were a few cents cheaper than the cheap gas stations but their prices slowly rose above so now there's no point.

This. Our grocery store did the same thing, but I think so many people used the program that they just raised their price of gas so it wasn't worth the effort anymore.

I used to use a Shell discount card a lot, it had a 10 cent off per gallon of premium bonus for quite some time and I would also build up extra discounts by buying stuff for lunch at a station next to the gym I used to frequent...I was buying food there before getting the card, so I figured any discounts were pure gravy.
The premium discount ended and I don't go to that gym anymore, so I only get 3 cents off per gallon with that card lately...hardly worth going out of my way to look for a Shell station for that kind of savings.
My wife uses some kind of card at Mobil stations, but it seems like she needs to use that maybe 10 times before she earns some kind of discount.

Almost any credit card offers some kind of cash back and you can stack this when using store loyalty card discounts to buy fuel.
We use our Kroger fuel points once each month and typically get anything from .50 to 1.00 off on up to thirty five gallons. We take both DDs to come as close to the limit as we can.
Our BP Chase Visa offers pretty good rewards for various purchases, so we use it for most non-fuel purchases when we don't use cash.
Just filled the Accord with 19+ gallons for .149/gal with the discount, so this can be a pretty good deal.
Everyone should take advantage of gasbuddy.com to check pricing on those routes that they regularly travel and this site is also useful in deciding when to use one shot rewards as opposed to simply buying from the local price leader.
It isn't unusual to see a .30/gal difference over a five mile radius.
What always surprises me is that there are folks buying gas for more at these higher priced stations.

Pretty much everywhere I buy gas gives me some sort of rewards. If I buy at Shell I get Air Miles and 95 air miles equals $10 off gas (and there is currently a deal for the entire summer that saves Air Miles members 4 cents per liter there) If I buy gas at Petro Canada I get Petro Points (every 10L bought gives back 10 cents worth of points) If I buy gas at Mobil I get Optimum points which I can redeem to save money at my local grocery store. Esso is also going to be rolling out that program too (there is currently one station near me doing testing for that program so I can get points there already) If I buy gas at Costco not only is the price way less than the other stations (premium there is often the same price as regular at all other stations) but at the end of the year I get 2% cash back from them as well (and that extends not only to the gas but anything bought in Costco too)

So I'm a big believer in loyalty programs, you might as well take advantage of them as much as possible, especially if you're Canadian since our gas prices are insane.

BJs got stale on me b/c they were trying to knock another 10c off by using their mastercard which raised the "normal" price to that of the competition. They weren't worth the trip. So now they lost my membership money, too. C'est la'vie.

Several stations here are trying to get me to sign up for ACH debit programs. The state is lax ("business friendly") and lets them put the debit price in real big numbers with tiny type reading what it does.

I just use the 5% my Chase card gives me this quarter, and drive a prius.
lol.gif
19.gif

I use the Fred Meyer (Kroger) because I do all my shopping there. Dollar off a gallon last time I filled the truck. 32 gallons.

I have. Usually had to go to an out of the way station to redeem the points. I would wait until I saved up enough to get at least fifty cents off a gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back