How do you repair little windshield cracks??

Status
Not open for further replies.
be very careful on having your insurance company pay for a chip repair. my moms 2017 CRV got a small chip. took it to a shop and they said it was no cost. this year her insurance went up. she called and asked why and one of the hits against her was the "free" repair. i always thought comprehensive was not a hit on ones record ,but our insurance agent told us that our great insurance commisioner in and now any claim it a negative on ones record in Wa state.

on the chip kits i have used them a couple of times. one came out great,but it was just a small pit. the other was a bulleseye and while it filled the void its easy to see where it was.

In MA they cover windshield repair and replacement 100% and your rates don't go up. I have had OE glass chips repaired with good results but aftermarket glass has had less than stellar results, it sometimes ends up cracking later in that spot.

I got a small start crack in my '72 LR's left windshield earlier this Spring. It was just inside the wiper swept area and my inspection was due. I used the 3M kit and was very surprised how well it worked. It apparently uses a thin resin that cures in sunlight. You now can barely see the pit from the impact, and one of the crack 'arms', but only at an angle and if you know it is there.

The kit is a bit fiddly and you have to follow the instructions exactly including waiting the full time for the resin to be drawn in. I also heated my windshield, carefully, with a hair dryer.

I'd give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back