Yamaha Warrior 350 Clutch Sticking Issue? Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 2000 warrior 350 ATV and upon cold starts the clutch sticks, for example. I cold start my atv, let it warm up and gear up for about a 2 min, pull in the clutch and shift to first and STALL. I have to repeat this process multiple times for it to fix it self. Once the clutch unsticks itself the clutch is perfect for the rest of the day.. Smooth, grabs good, etc. Its just on COLD starts..

That being said I emailed the clutch company that I have put in and this was their response.

"Hi Kevin,
What’s happening to your clutch is it’s getting hot and when your done riding the plates cool down and then stick together. Try using a lighter oil like Mobil 1 5w-30 automotive oil. We’ve used this oil many times and can help reduce clutch heat. Try to stick with the Mobil 1 brand as all oils are not the same."

I am currrently using Yamalube 10w-40. That being said, I thought I had to use "wet clutch safe" oil for my atv? Would this be a good solution? Just getting a second opinion.

If the clutch manufacturer says mobile 1 5w30 oil works best with their clutch, that's what I would use. your engine wont know the difference. Jaso MA oil is recommended by the manufacturer solely because of the characteristics of the factory clutch. If the oil weight concerns you, then maybe give mobile 1 0w40 a try

So now we went from auto oil causing a clutch to slip to a motorcycle oil causing it to stick. I say hogwash. Something is causing it to stick but it's not the oil. Maybe the drum is worn.

Bleed your clutch fluid. It is possible you have air entering the system and the first usage the clutch is not fully disengaged. Once it "pumps up" it works normally.

To test this out work the clutch lever in and out before first usage and if it doesent stall that is the issue.

A guy i knew had a road bike with similar problem. it was the master cylinder with a microscopic leak that was letting in tiny amount of air beginning of each day. after pumping it up it worked OK.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
So now we went from auto oil causing a clutch to slip to a motorcycle oil causing it to stick. I say hogwash. Something is causing it to stick but it's not the oil. Maybe the drum is worn.

When I replaced the clutch I took a look at the basket and fingers for grooves with not major damage to them.

had that happen to a CRF450.. was told to drain oil, pour in same amount of diesel fuel...unhook spark plug..kick start and work the clutch.. rest then do it again a few times then drain.

Something about the varnish on the clutch plates..its been awhile but it worked.

Try running Rotella 15w40 to rule out oil..its cheap and is wet clutch safe.

I have never heard of anyone running mobil 1 5w30 in a 4 stroke.. nothing in it magical thats better than HDEO or JASO oils...i suspect it would shear fast but ive never tried it.

How long does it sit before you use it each time? Some motorcycles have this issue because the clutch plates are in a spot that gives them minimal splash lubrication. On those bikes the owners have done wacky things like leaning the bike on the side to get oil onto the plates.

Not saying that will work for you but it could be an inherent design issue.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

This.

Originally Posted By: AVB
When did the problem start? After you installed the new clutch?

I replaced my clutch plates and steels, cable, and lever and it occurred. It is just so odd it only happens when cold, and when it warms up the clutch is perfect.

Last edited:
That is odd, I just don't see how the oil could be the problem. Normally you just get a little lurch from cold oil. What material frictions did you use, kevlar? It shouldn't matter. If the basket and the hub are good I wonder if the new parts are out of spec in some way.

Originally Posted By: AVB
That is odd, I just don't see how the oil could be the problem. Normally you just get a little lurch from cold oil. What material frictions did you use, kevlar? It shouldn't matter. If the basket and the hub are good I wonder if the new parts are out of spec in some way.

From the site this is the description.

"This kit is designed for a Yamaha Warrior all year models . We use cork style friction plates which are proven to be very durable. Smooth steel plates & springs that are 10-15% stiffer than stock. One of the durability keys to our clutch kit is the smooth steel plates. "Dimpled or textured" steel plates WILL NOT handle as much H.P. or last as long as smooth steel plates. "Dimples" are concave in shape which reduces surface material causing less contact area which results in premature clutch slippage. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back