old cars in old movies tv shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look forward to a future TV show, that is coming back! Magnum P.I. will be on CBS this fall. Yes, its back, sans Selleck (hoping for a cameo, pa-leeze). Ferrari 308
http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/multiple-ferraris-squashed-and-shot-magnum-pi-returns-tv

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The Rockford Files are by the my favorite for this.

Loved that 2nd-Gen Firebird (Camaro) GM F-Body, Sierra Gold color, often straining to control rear axle movement and roll control in chases and u-turns.
rockford.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Look forward to a future TV show, that is coming back! Magnum P.I. will be on CBS this fall. Yes, its back, sans Selleck (hoping for a cameo, pa-leeze). Ferrari 308
http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/multiple-ferraris-squashed-and-shot-magnum-pi-returns-tv

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The Rockford Files are by the my favorite for this.

Loved that 2nd-Gen Firebird (Camaro) GM F-Body, Sierra Gold color, often straining to control rear axle movement and roll control in chases and u-turns.
rockford.jpg

Fun Fact: He did all of the driving himself too.

His father in the show had a nice looking square body too.

Last edited:
One movie scene that always impressed me was the end scene in, "The Untouchables". When Kevin Costner walked out of the building to talk to the reporter. South LaSalle St. and all of the parking spots along it were all filled with 1920's and 1930's period vehicles. All in like new condition. I can't imagine what it cost to find, transport, and assemble that many old cars for a movie shot that lasted all of 10 seconds.

I should have known there's a site called the Internet Movie Cars Database. https://www.imcdb.org/

It came up when I searched for the Toronado from the Stephen King movie The Dark Half. The pushbutton blower 1968 GTO a from My Science Project is there,too.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
"Christine"

Oh yeah! My favorite is Bullitt, but Christine holds a special place. My brother-in-law owned one of the 57/58 Plymouth Furys used in the movie. Sold it to the movie production company for at the time an excellent price considering the condition it was in. I am sure it was totaled once or twice during the shoot.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
I am sure it was totaled once or twice during the shoot.

Just curious, how do you total the same car twice?

Easy. Totaling a car means it's just beyond the economic value of repairing it. It can be crashed, then repaired enough to look adequate to be filmed in another crash. Repeat as necessary. Movie magic.

They normally go thru a lot of cars to make a movie.

The dukes of hazard movie used 26 chargers

The series went thru over 300 cars

Every time they do a jump it bends the frame. You can see it

CHiPs. Utter car destruction. They pumped out so many episodes sometimes they didn't seem to care if the camera truck (with 8 guys hanging off it) was right in the shot. Wish the hi def version was still on MeTV.

Sometimes watching movies I tend to wonder what happened to all the cars. Not specifically the stunt cars or the cars the main character uses, but even cars parked on the street, cars passing by, etc.
What fate did they suffer and why? How many are covered up in someone's garage? How many ended up totalled, how many ran "til the wheels fell off"? Are any still on the road?
There is no answer to any of these questions and if there were it would have absolutely no bearing on my life. I just like wondering about trivial things.

I believe the 55 Chevy from "2 Lane Blacktop", which was also used in "American Graffiti" is still around. And many copies of them. I'm working on my own version of a black primer, caged 55 Chevy hot rod on a C4 Corvette chassis.
The "Blues Bother" wrecked well over a hundred Dodge cop cars, which wasn't a big loss collector wise.

Last edited:
We can’t have a thread like this without remembering the 1928 Porter in My Mother The Car with Jerry Van Dyke.

A one season wonder.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
CHiPs. Utter car destruction. They pumped out so many episodes sometimes they didn't seem to care if the camera truck (with 8 guys hanging off it) was right in the shot. Wish the hi def version was still on MeTV.

I loved CHiPs and Dukes of Hazzard reruns for the cars. Something about 70s piles squealing and flailing around every turn while not really going anywhere was very entertaining.

I remember seeing a show called
"Greatest American Hero"in which
A 1966-67 was blown up.
And Mannix drove Plymouth Cudas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back