eBay OEM score, NOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily driver is an obsolete 25 year old Nissan. Parts are starting to get hard to find and most everything is made in China.

Ordered a wheel cylinder. I figured since everything is all made-in-China junk, I bought the cheapest one, $9.99. Much to my shock, it came in a Beck-Arnley box with an OEM, Made in Japan Nissan item. Happy.

Encouraged, I went shopping. Scored a Nissan reman alternator for $109. Japanese fuel pump, $49. Brake pads from 2010, made in Australia, $20. Rotors, pair for $40, made in USA.

I know not all Chinese made items are bad and I arguably need to get with the program, but I really like going back in time and feel good about buying quality car parts.

Oh, look at items in beat up boxes or even "new-no box" listings. They are usually old and you can find the country of origin.

FWIW my job was outsourced years ago. The general mindset was the union guys took a lot of pride in their work and the Mexicans didn't stay with their job very long as a comparison so quality was inconsistent. Not necessarily bad, but a lot of parts came parts came back with casting sand still in them and incorrect assembly of more complex parts. I still to this day will only buy a domestic car with a decent amount of domestic parts and union made. I'm just in the old school of thought, but there is a lot of truth to it.

Whenever I'm at a dealer I ask if they have anything that has been sitting for years. Sometimes they do, and sometimes I pick it up.

The longer the dealer has been at one location the better your chances of a score. When my local Nissan store moved I cleaned them out. They didn't have much, but I bought every Datsun part they had and sold it all to a guy in Kuwait.

My BMW store cleared out CHF 11S at $1/L. TWS went for $3/qt when Shell moved in.

This thread encouraged me to check out eBay.

Bought a Mopar coil spring for my Jeep. $41 shipped. Rock Auto has them for $77 plus whatever shipping would be.

I'm with ya Nayov! Ebay has been a blessing. What surprises me is that no OEM Stealers have parts in the States. The following week a Mitsu Stealer is selling an obsolete part that is unobtainable them on ebay. I'm referring to Mitsu's OEM computer database across the States. amayama is good as well as partsouq.com . Shipping can get expensive, but for small stuff it's doable.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

todays norn is global UNFORTUNATELY, so i research + shop for the better price of what i want + E-bay wins quite often!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back