Resonator delete in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son wants to remove the resonator from the MK1 GTI he has started working on, but I'm being a spoilsport. Can someone please confirm or deny that in California any exhaust system modification is illegal by default, even if the modification does not affect emissions? This is not about whether or not he'll get caught but only about legality.

If your local police issue tickets for noise pollution he's only giving himself a headache for no reason half the time cars perform worse when the stock exhaust is altered

ALL factory exhaust can be improved on as they are TOOOO restrictive + as power goes up especially with turbocharging a bigger higher flowing system frees more power along with proper fueling. todays lawn mower engines are pretty quiet IMO but the government likes the "sewing machine" purrrr!!!!

Can it be easily bolted back in?

I'd be worried about droning--I presume that is why they put in a resonator in the first place.

Originally Posted By: vavavroom
My son wants to remove the resonator from the MK1 GTI he has started working on, but I'm being a spoilsport. Can someone please confirm or deny that in California any exhaust system modification is illegal by default, even if the modification does not affect emissions? This is not about whether or not he'll get caught but only about legality.

If exhaust modifications post catalytic converter is illegal, then the various muffler shops in CA would be out of business.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
If exhaust modifications post catalytic converter is illegal, then the various muffler shops in CA would be out of business.

I think the owner or operator of the vehicle is the only one responsible in these cases.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: vavavroom

Mom and Pop muffler shop made me a dual exhaust for my 83 Silverado that could easily be taken off and the original single exhaust reinstalled for smog checks, truck ran great on the dual exhaust, sold the duals to another Chevy owner and went with a 3" single exhaust.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back