Tunes and what they claim vs reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy in our dart group messaged me about how his car will be way faster than my car now....which I don't really care about but I am curious he bought a tune from Euro compulsion. They claim there stage 2 tune offers 230whp. That sounds exessive to me. The dart with the 1.4 turbo makes like 160 to the wheels from the factory. Am I nuts and those numbers are realistic or do you think they are kinda high as well?

HP comes from fuel consumed. Can't come from anything else. So if he's willing to burn that much extra fuel and handle the extra heat (did he mod for that ...) - it could happen ... But it'll all be at the upper rev range. How often are you'all seeing redline?

160 to 230? 70 HP. I don't know how much boost does it make to get there?

70 in a turbo car isn't unrealistic.

I know a tune will help a lot of cars even the N/A ones. Like for my truck I did it to change torque converter lock up when towing.

On my WS6 bone stock a dyno tune netted me 22 HP at the wheels with no other modifications. Most stock LS1 cars will pick up anywhere from 15 to 40 RWHP depending on the year and what car it is in.

Most guys with the 6.0 Caprices are gaining 30 to 40 hp at the wheels with a good dyno tune. I have one planned for next month.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Is he still going to run 0W20 motor oil? (or whatever the factory spec is) I hope not.

Factory oil for it is 5w40

Originally Posted By: hemitom
If this is a canned tune Highly unlikely you would see 70 h.p.
20 h.p maybe.

The APR tune for the MK7 claims 80hp and 110ft-lbs.

It's pretty accurate.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
20 h.p maybe.

It's pretty accurate.

Find it hard to believe a straight up tune without other modifications will add that much h.p,
have to see it on a dyno i guess to prove it .

Anything can be done but is it safe? I read about some guys taking a junker Grand Prix and slappingnon an eBay turbo. That thing ran a 12.xx quarter mile. Pretty impressive. It didn’t last long though.

20 h.p maybe.

It's pretty accurate.

Find it hard to believe a straight up tune without other modifications will add that much h.p,
have to see it on a dyno i guess to prove it .

Here you go!

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Anything can be done but is it safe? I read about some guys taking a junker Grand Prix and slappingnon an eBay turbo. That thing ran a 12.xx quarter mile. Pretty impressive. It didn’t last long though.

you mean like the guys at the Zip tie Drags last year, who were running around 14psi through otherwise stock Festiva's?

one blew up his trans on the strip, towed it home, swapped in a new tranny, and made it back to make a couple more passes. (albeit with the wheels splayed like a duck... they didn't have the time to even spitball align it) apparently they lived fairly close...

Last edited:
Most tuners go the route of dyno tuning. The run a baseline on the dyno and then tune accordingly. I don't think he can get that much more with just a tune. Now if he changed out injectors and went with an E85 setup then yes that can be realistic. Especially if they increase boost accordingly. That is the best part of dyno tuning. They can make the adjustments to be safe and get the max performance out of the vehicle.

I gained alot of butt power on my cruze. Bad news racing tuned my cruze. I think there good for 40hp and 40-50 tq added. But every platform is differant and turbos with tunes will see alot more hp then n/a

Definitely possible with a turbo, though it may need supporting mods as others have said. How long it will live at that power level? That's a whole other discussion.

Canned tunes are generally just a way to get from your garage to the dyno for a proper tune.

The best way is both a dyno tune and then fine tuning on the street, obviously with a wideband.

[
Here you go!

That car also has almost 50% more displacement and its a dyno tune not a canned tune.

I think 40hp is by far the max you would get with a canned tune. on a 1.4L Turbo

anything more and you would be either blowing up motors without dyno tuning or would run like total poo.

IIRC stock it is 160hp engine hp NOT "to the wheels" so getting to 200hp on the dyno would take some mod support to go with the tune.

Originally Posted By: Rand
[
Here you go!

That car also has almost 50% more displacement and its a dyno tune not a canned tune.

I think 40hp is by far the max you would get with a canned tune. on a 1.4L Turbo

anything more and you would be either blowing up motors without dyno tuning or would run like total poo.

IIRC stock it is 160hp engine hp NOT "to the wheels" so getting to 200hp on the dyno would take some mod support to go with the tune.

Engine is 184 hp stock about 150-160 to the wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back