Tire buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait for sales, or just buy now?

Wife's Camry has an RT43 that went out of round; I think it went out after 20k or so, but it's at 27k now. Put onto RR for now. LR has a well worn tire; I've been noticing that just one of my RT43's out of each set likes to wear fast--I do 5k rotations and cross rotations at that, so if it was alignment, it'd be more than just one tire. Anyhow, fronts are still at 6/32's so I'm toying with just buying two for now, then a set of snows come winter--kinda don't want to buy two sets this year, and wife is of the opinion that if we do buy a full set, then she doesn't need snows--I don't think she liked the snows nor how loud they got at the end.

Sad thing is I just bought the set last summer. Won't take a full size spare, so no luck trying to justify a full set and changing out the spare. I feel like I've slipped back in time, to a time when buying tires was a yearly expense.

If you do decide to buy a full set of new tires, and you don't want to use dedicated winter tires, consider an all-season with teh 3-peak symbol, such as:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Goodyear Weatherready
Nokian WRG3 or the new WRG4

I'm in the minority here but I only run the first 50% of tires, then Craigslist the old and buy new. Your tires are the only thing touching your car to the road. Safety first, even more so for wife and kids! I run dedicated studded snows on each car too. I end up buying, and selling, a lot of tires.

There should be some tires sales for the 4th of July holiday. Look for the sale and possibly a rebate, too. I have Cooper tires on both of my older vehicles. They're a little high priced but very good tires. I bought them at Discount Tire.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
If you just bought it last summer, there should be something under warranty still remaining, right?

Ah! I remembered wrong. Was looking in my inbox for the wrong year--and thinking I hadn't bothered with the certificates. Turns out, I did. I'll have to pursue that. Then I should only need one tire.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If you do decide to buy a full set of new tires, and you don't want to use dedicated winter tires, consider an all-season with teh 3-peak symbol, such as:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Goodyear Weatherready

I had the first gen WR's and hated them--wore fast, got loud, didn't think they worked as well as I wanted in snow and slush. Maybe they have gotten better? Not sure I want to pay a premium for high zoot tires, but ultimately it's all about cost/mile. Well, that and performance.

My advice is not to buy anymore General Altimax RT43s. I bought a set for a 2006 Hyundai Tucson. They were defective right from the start. Three were out of round and two of those three were out laterally.

Bought these tires for my Mercury Sable and got about 30,000 miles and they were basically shot. They were rated well and did fine in snow and rain in early life but were very soft tread and sidewalls. Replaced them with Cooper CS5 Ultra touring on sale at DTD on Memorial week. Much stiffer better handling tire but they are V rated. Can't tell about longevity but so far much happier.

I go on tirerack, sort price low to high, and buy the best tire for the money.

I then take them to a local shop with a touchless tire machine so my wheels don’t get ruined.

Been doing this for a good 10 years now, never an issue and always cheaper than buying old leftover tires from a local shop.

I put Quatrac 5s on the Clubman. So far I've been very impressed with respect to handling, traction, and NVH.

I'd get 2 for the front, 6/32" should be good enough on the rear for wet roads, and leave them on the front (maybe rotate left to right to keep from wear patterns). Then get snows for the winter, and you'll have a set at 6/32" and ready for replacement of all 4 next summer.

That's what I did with my Camry, 2 new RT43's on the front to start evening out. But it doesn't get driven much so...

Next DTD/DT promos just around the corner, July 4th. I'd at least wait until then and in the meantime research comparable prices at the other online tire sites.

As for RT43, V rated on an Accord doing quite nicely. Equivalent 'ime' to the Michelin MXV4 I had on previously, significantly less cost.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Goodyear Weatherready

Just to clarify these are NOT all-seasons, but All Weather tires, excellent suggestion though!

The DTD 4th of July sale is up now.

If your tire size is 215/60-16 for the 2011 Camry base model, the Weatherready is $143 each ($572 total)
$80 mfr rebate from Goodyear
$100 rebate from DTD

That makes it $392 after the $180 in rebates

If you have or open up a DTD credit card, there's an additional $100 rebate (so $280 total), and you get all four tires for $292
smile.gif

Quote:
The DTD 4th of July sale is up now.

If your tire size is 215/60-16 for the 2011 Camry base model, the Weatherready is $143 each ($572 total)
$80 mfr rebate from Goodyear
$100 rebate from DTD

That makes it $392 after the $180 in rebates

If you have or open up a DTD credit card, there's an additional $100 rebate.....

$100 DT/DTD CC rebate is for combined tire & wheel purchase with new CC account. Tires only, $30-50 CC rebate depending on purchase amount and whether new account.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/promotions/4th-of-july

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back