No older cars in New York State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent this weekend in Rochester New York at a dog show. I was amazed at the lack of older cars. I live in a poor county with a high percentage of 20 year old beaters. I also saw a lot of 10 year old cars with complete rust perforation of the wheel wells and rocker panels.

Does the road salt kill off older cars or, are these folks just wealthy and trade cars a lot?

I found both a Krown and a Fluid Film applicator in Rochester. I guess some residents are awake and trying to save their cars. A couple hundred bucks a year versus a monthly car payment sounds like a deal to me
smile.gif

It's always something when you see the first of a body style get its first rust. Then you can figure out where the rest are going to go out.

My 2nd gen Prius may be a poster child.
lol.gif

Lake effect snows are a thing. Look at Buffalo's rusty fleet.

The liquid salt brine they coat the roads with is very nasty for cars. If you want your cars to last up here something like FluidFilm is a must.

No one was forced to trade their clunker, I had 2 at the time and kept them both.
People liked the trade in value they got, I think it was all for a good cause, can't blame the regime at all.

Most people don’t take the time to maintain their cars past an oil change and the occasional car wash.

Cars can last a very long time in NY if properly maintained. That’s mechanically, along with annual interior and exterior details and oil spraying of inner body panels and undercarriage. 99% of drivers in NY do not do this because they’d rather be inside sharing posts on Facebook than taking care of their stuff.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
No one was forced to trade their clunker, I had 2 at the time and kept them both.
People liked the trade in value they got, I think it was all for a good cause, can't blame the regime at all.

It cost the American tax payers enormous amounts of money, with no real gain or results to show. That's the problem. If you had a clunker you didn't want and could trade it in, it was often a good deal for you. Not a good deal for the country.

Rust and potholes

No one wants to do ball joints/control arms and brake lines for the third time around

By then the frame or most of a unibodys structure looks like Swiss cheese

A/C and heat are Damm near mandatory for a 4 seasons beater, so if you lose one or the other, the cars pretty much junk

I still wonder how some of the (not even that old) junk passes our Inspection?
confused.gif

^^
I’m guessing it’s that NY has inspections. Michigan doesn’t. Here there are rusted out old cars all over (a couple of mine included)

Originally Posted By: Aero540T
^^
I’m guessing it’s that NY has inspections. Michigan doesn’t. Here there are rusted out old cars all over (a couple of mine included)

Same in Wisconsin. There’s plenty of ratty cars around.

I used to have a dedicated truck run there delivering plastic pellets to the old ACDelco plant (later Valeo). No one else wanted that route because it can snow literally 1/2 of the year. Our trucks would have wiring issues and front end and other components would wear prematurely from all the salt. I loved that place, but unfortunately the work went south of the border.

Go to youtube and watch some of the repair videos by mechanics in the rust belt ( like South Main Auto ) .

When they put a vehicle on the lift , you will see the large amount of rust .

Annual treatment of upstate NY cars will not stop the rust. They get eaten alive for a few months at a time every winter.

Put them up on a lift after every time out on wet salted roads, spray them down and keep warm until dry is the only way to prevent the rust. Anything less is just slowing it down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back