Ford 4.6L Durability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
What's the one with spark plug issues, the Triton 5.4? Avoid that one, but I think the 4.6 is fairly decent IF WELL MAINTAINED. That means regular coolant changes in addition to everything else.

If proper measures are taken and the plugs are installed and torqued correctly they don't have this problem! I've owned many 4.6 and 5.4 Triton engines over the years and these are without a doubt the most reliable engine made. I never once had a plug spit out of any of them and my last truck (02 F150 with the 5.4) had 288k miles on it and it still ran like a top. Now the ignition coils on them are a different story! Keep one in the glove box when they get up around 100k miles
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: redhat
2V were the scenario where spark plugs would eject from the head and take the threads with it.

3V were the scenario where the bottom of the spark plug would break off in the head and require a tool to extract the plug. 3V also had issues with cam phasers that would shuck/click at idle.

I was doing some quick research because of this thread, and apparently the aluminum head 2v was the main offender. I am not sure which motors got the aluminum heads, but I assume that performance models got the aluminum heads, and more pedestrian models such as trucks and Crown Vics got iron?

I used to not like Ford because my Dad only bought GMs, but I like them now because they have high tech engines. It was the same back then apparently. An OHC V8 by an American manufacturer in 1991 in a normal car? That's pretty impressive looking back. The LT1 debuted in 1992 and was only around until 1997 in cars only, and it was more of a stop gap. They really should have just went full blast DOHC, why bother with the added complexity and size of an overhead cam when you have the same amount of valves as a pushrod engine? I get the modularity but the whole point of an OHC V8 is 32 valves!

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
What's the one with spark plug issues, the Triton 5.4? Avoid that one, but I think the 4.6 is fairly decent IF WELL MAINTAINED. That means regular coolant changes in addition to everything else.

Is there a particular special concern with changing coolant on this engine? I suspect my Mountaineer may still have the factory fill. It's a reddish-orange color if memory serves, I'm thinking I should change it.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

I was doing some quick research because of this thread, and apparently the aluminum head 2v was the main offender. I am not sure which motors got the aluminum heads, but I assume that performance models got the aluminum heads, and more pedestrian models such as trucks and Crown Vics got iron?

I used to not like Ford because my Dad only bought GMs, but I like them now because they have high tech engines. It was the same back then apparently. An OHC V8 by an American manufacturer in 1991 in a normal car? That's pretty impressive looking back. The LT1 debuted in 1992 and was only around until 1997 in cars only, and it was more of a stop gap. They really should have just went full blast DOHC, why bother with the added complexity and size of an overhead cam when you have the same amount of valves as a pushrod engine? I get the modularity but the whole point of an OHC V8 is 32 valves!

All factory modular heads should be aluminum.

2v are great engines, the 3v... I don't really see why they even bothered -- probably manufacturing costs weren't much more than the 2v. Keep in mind, the 4v were not the cheapest, GM putting out OHV SBC (later on LSx) = CHEAP. Also, look at it from a longevity standpoint. 4v DOHC = longer chains. Ever see 2v chains, they're long to begin with. OHC can spin faster (OK OHV can too with strong springs), and usually run higher compression = better fuel burn, better MPG, more power out of same displacement, etc.

Also, HP output. At that time 175-210hp from an American V8 in a RWD sedan was right in line. Ford's 2v actually was probably the most HP and highest reving. I don't think at the time, Ford making a 4v DOHC, 350+ HP pushing, more expensive engine would've done them any favors. You also will have the mindset from buyers "eh... I don't need that much power, this cheaper Chevy seems more reasonable". But, to be honest, my opinion -- the 4v 4.6 and now Coyote are truly killer motors.

The LT1 was still OHV, a reverse coolant flowing, opti-spark having 2nd Gen SBC. OK engine, but seriously... the LS1 in 1997 (Corvette) and 98 (F-Body) blew Ford out of the water. It isn't so much as valves and it is flow. The LS heads flowed better than few year prior NASCAR heads in the 90s.

We finally had a reasonable, mass produced contender to the LSx in 2011 with the introduction of the Coyote 5.0L 4v. Notice I said mass produced. 2003-2004 Termi Cobras were and still are bad-[censored] and the 4v iron-blocked modulars were great too. Just too expensive and not in ever pick 'em up truck at the local U-PullIt yard for $99.99.

Coyote truck motors are sweet but too much $$$ still. Guys are making good power on Factory Coyotes.

But, a $99.99 250k+ Junkyard Gen III 4.8 or 5.3 with blow by can make 600hp+++ with an eBay turbo.

My friendly reminder: LSx > *

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
Originally Posted By: maxdustington

All factory modular heads should be aluminum.

2v are great engines, the 3v... I don't really see why they even bothered -- probably manufacturing costs weren't much more than the 2v. Keep in mind, the 4v were not the cheapest, GM putting out OHV SBC (later on LSx) = CHEAP. Also, look at it from a longevity standpoint. 4v DOHC = longer chains. Ever see 2v chains, they're long to begin with. OHC can spin faster (OK OHV can too with strong springs), and usually run higher compression = better fuel burn, better MPG, more power out of same displacement, etc.

Also, HP output. At that time 175-210hp from an American V8 in a RWD sedan was right in line. Ford's 2v actually was probably the most HP and highest reving. I don't think at the time, Ford making a 4v DOHC, 350+ HP pushing, more expensive engine would've done them any favors. You also will have the mindset from buyers "eh... I don't need that much power, this cheaper Chevy seems more reasonable". But, to be honest, my opinion -- the 4v 4.6 and now Coyote are truly killer motors.

The LT1 was still OHV, a reverse coolant flowing, opti-spark having 2nd Gen SBC. OK engine, but seriously... the LS1 in 1997 (Corvette) and 98 (F-Body) blew Ford out of the water. It isn't so much as valves and it is flow. The LS heads flowed better than few year prior NASCAR heads in the 90s.

We finally had a reasonable, mass produced contender to the LSx in 2011 with the introduction of the Coyote 5.0L 4v. Notice I said mass produced. 2003-2004 Termi Cobras were and still are bad-[censored] and the 4v iron-blocked modulars were great too. Just too expensive and not in ever pick 'em up truck at the local U-PullIt yard for $99.99.

Coyote truck motors are sweet but too much $$$ still. Guys are making good power on Factory Coyotes.

But, a $99.99 250k+ Junkyard Gen III 4.8 or 5.3 with blow by can make 600hp+++ with an eBay turbo.

My friendly reminder: LSx > *

They really should have done what GM did and slap better heads on the Windsor. I know they did, with the GT40P heads, but they were not nearly as common as the Vortec heads on the SBC. This allowed GM to breathe new life into an engine that was aging badly in the 90s.

Ford: design an engine in the early 90s and spent the next twenty years trying to get it right
GM: update an engine in the early 90s for cars, upgrade the heads on truck SBCs and then design probably the greatest V8 of all time (certainly OHV V8) in the mid 90s.

I think technology is to blame more than anything else. Cylinder head design took a massive leap forward in the mid 90s, it must have been CAD/CAM because both companies offered modern cylinder heads for obsolete engines while offering a more modern V8 in other platforms. Ford was ahead of their time I guess, trying to beat GM to OHC V8s. I wonder if GM would have went in that direction if Ford did not.

EDIT: I have seen one Lincoln Aviator in the scrapyard and that 32v was long gone. Same with Yukons, Escalades and any other GM product that got a special version of a gen 3.

Last edited:
I'm on my second Crown Vic. First one was a 99 civilian model with about 140K miles, I owned that for maybe half a year and abused it horribly, then overheated it really bad on a super hot day due to dead radiator fans and then getting stuck in traffic. I replaced the radiator fan and sold it, and that guy lives a block from where I work and he comes in occasionally - he loves the car and has had no engine issues. He did need ball joints but that's because I may or may not have ended up partially in a ditch at 90mph... Only problem with that car otherwise was the steering was loose (the rebuilt gearbox I installed was worse than the one that came with that car but I was too lazy to change it again) and a little bit of torque converter shudder but it drove fine. The guy that owns it puts a HUGE amount of miles on it driving between Marin and Sacramento as far as I know.

Now I have an 07 ex-cop-car. About 124K miles, and I love the car. I'm not gentle to it but perhaps I'm a little nicer to it than the previous one, as I intend to keep this for a loooong time. I don't expect to EVER have any issues with the engine. I do suspect I'll need a transmission in the 2xx,xxx range, simply because it was used as a police car and I'm a pretty aggressive driver too. I'm going to drain and fills every 30K to try to prolong its life, but either way, I doubt my transmission will last forever.

A few people who maintain the taxis of a local taxi company are regulars at where I work. Apparently most of their cars make it above 300K and a few go over 400K on the original 4.6L engine. At that mileage they tend to use some oil, but still run OK. Transmissions are usually the first major failure (though they pretty much all make it over 250k), and a few intake manifolds, even on the later years with the "updated design"...

I've owned a few. Still have one, being the 2011 Crown Vic in the sig.

They're a perfectly mediocre engine. These engines don't really excel at anything. They aren't exceptionally powerful, efficient, or reliable, but they get the job done; nothing more.

It's an ok engine, but certainly not one of the best out there.

Thanks for the replies; I never had any mechanical issues with my '99 SOHC 4.6L, but I did have a '02 Explorer SOHC 4.0 that had severe timing chain issues around 60K miles, even with regular maintenance and Motorcraft synthetic blend oil. I know it is a completely different engine.

The Triton engines can be sensitive to oil change frequency, like any engine. In a local shop, there is a Triton engine that was pulled from a F-150, where the owner didn't change the oil for 40K miles. Reportedly he used dino Pennzoil. The engine was severely sludged up to the point it had low oil pressure that killed the rod bearings. All internal parts were coated with a layer of tar-like sludge, and the timing chains were a little loose as well. This was the 2nd engine in his truck to suffer this fate due to poor oil change frequencies. Apparently he has $$ but no sense.

The truck I mentioned is about 150 miles away, but there are several others like it that are closer and have similar mileages. I am starting to look for a good used one for general errands and occasional work commutes. Not really committed to Ford, but Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, and Dodge are way more for comparable age and mileage in my area. I'm just too thrifty I guess.
smile.gif

The 4.6 3 valve motor is no where near as reliable as the 2 valve.

I would stay away , especially with that many miles. If you do buy one, plan on doing a cam phaser replacement and full chain and tensioner replacement.

I have the brother 2v 5.4L in my 01 F150, had it about 10 years. No issues other than coils, broken exhaust manifold stud, very small oil leaking between block and head (cosmetic only).
Step son has the 4.6 in 01 Grand Marq. The heater hose outlet disintegrated on it. Got a large tap set from Harbor Freight, tapped some threads and screwed in a brass fitting applying epoxy to the threads. Has been holding for 2+ years. Ford uses some kind of plastic that crumbles after the years go on. Not sure if it is poor cooling system maintenance related? Some Explorers have this issue with a heater hose T getting brittle and leaking / blowing out.

I don't mind the motor in a car but I would not buy another Ford truck. The Cab forward design with the OHC motor is a joke. I hate it when given an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back