Sightly overfilled oil..ok or drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my old mechanics told me there is a small tolerance if you overfill the oil. I think I was like a 1/4 to almost half a quart over when he checked it. Better have a little more oil in than having it low.

My current car is an oil burner and I just dump oil in it and forget about it. I'm currently running 15w40 in my 02 toyota Camry in the summer. I try to measure it close when I dump it in but if it overfills whatever it will burn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
The extra oil is going get mixed by like crank like an eggbeater, aerate your oil, then starve your oil pump and smoke your mill!
Are you absolutely positive about that?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Good to be a little overfilled than the other way around.

^^This

Originally Posted By: flinter
Hi,

I changed my oil/filter today on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 and slightly overfilled by a tad over 1/4 quart. The capacity is 4.23 quarts. Can this cause issues or damage and should I drain, or leave it and its fine??

Thanks
Michael in NJ

Its fine (the key here is "slightly") I am sure or you can always simply loosen the oil filter (in most cases) and let some run out.

Last edited:
I've done that (1/4 quart overfilled) on my 2008 Elantra more times than I can remember and have never had an issue...it's now at 107K. I would do that purposely when my daughter would take the car back to college because I knew I probably wouldn't see the car for a few months and she probably wouldn't check the oil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The extra oil is going get mixed by like crank like an eggbeater, aerate your oil, then starve your oil pump and smoke your mill!
Are you absolutely positive about that?

My car has a windage tray and it's a 2003.

Someone do the math please. Lets say the oil pan when full is 8" x 18" or roughly 150 square inches of oil area. How much will the level rise by adding 1/4 quart? And how far below the crank is the full oil level on a typical car?

No worries about 8 extra ounces. Run it.

If it keeps you up at night, then drain it and fill it right.

Originally Posted By: atikovi

Someone do the math please. Lets say the oil pan when full is 8" x 18" or roughly 150 square inches of oil area. How much will the level rise by adding 1/4 quart? And how far below the crank is the full oil level on a typical car?

A quart is 57.75 cubic inches; a quarter qt would thus be about 14 cubic inches. Not quite 0.1 inches of pan rise.

Back in the olden days I do believe some classic V8's would be run with an extra quart in the sump, out on the dragstrip. The engines would pump the oil up into the heads and it could not drain back fast enough.

When driving around, some portion is going to be out of the pan. I don't think it matters as to engine rpm, but maybe high rpm will have a bit less in the pan than at low rpm?

Lastly, a good hard corner is going to slosh it around more than that 0.1" I bet.

Last edited:
Personally,I'd rather be a little under the full mark. In fact I make it a point to keep it just a tad under full. Like the Price is Right, under beats over. ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back