Acclaim radiator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 94 acclaim v6 developed a crack in the radiator just below and inboard of the upper rad hose.Thankfully it happened after I got home and parked the car.I plan on pulling the rad out of my old Spirit 4 cyl and use it(same part number).However my question is I have the rad in the Acclaim mostly ready to come out but the a/c system is anchored to the rad on the passenger side on the side and bottom of the rad.HOW THE FRACK do you get the bottom anchor/mount point loose?There seems to be a connector/bolt pressed in holding it in place.It does not seem to be phillips,star ,hex or a standard bolt head....This is the holdup I am experiencing right now.I really don't want to snatch too much on the rad and crack an a/c line.

Any solutions?/knowledge/advice is welcome

thanks

Are you saying it (the fastener) has headed hardware you can't loosen?

Also, the AC in the donor car is to be preserved, you say? That means the donor car is to be driven, yes?

Then what are you removing it for? Go get a replacement radiator.

I was not clear.Sorry .the Spirit is dead -head gasket and trans issues but a good radiator.The Acclaim needs radiator...so there you go.Turns out what I thought was a connector was actually a rubber isolator plug that had gotten very hard and froze to the radiator mount.Prying with a short screwdriver got it to pop loose.I did not want to put too much force on the Acclaim radiator and crack an a/c line.
As for buying a radiator.Well ,daughter just got married and we spent a bit much.So money conservation mode has been activated.o I am sweating my rear off in 95% humidity and 80-98 degree temps....oh well weight loss is a good thing.

I tend to be cautious using full strength whilst working on vehicles as I have broken things in the past.Which is what led to this post,just making sure about proper procedure etc for this task.Turned out to be an easy task getting that plug loose.Just had to find the right length screwdriver.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
welcome to my world! your lucky its not a taurus or sebring. those take all day!

I believe ya.This one is taking forever .I'm going slow due to caution and temperature factors.Earlier in the week I had an episode of possible heat exhaustion/low blood pressure due to some meds and the heat.So I am working a little and then heading back in to the a/c.Better safe than sorry(heat index in the triple digits).I have had to replace radiators in several slant six trucks,a 72 bronco ,a 78 scout and a late 90's Kia .None were as annoying as this one.Usually a 2-4 hour job start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back