03 Maxima Cam sensor questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
I'm having stalling and shifting problems caused by faulty cam sensors and the connectors so I'm replacing them. Can anyone answer some questions for me.

Has anyone had problems with aftermarket cam sensors?

Who manufactures the OEM cam sensors, hitachi?

The 03 had an engine swap by PO. I'm not sure what year engine is in there, but so far other parts matching the year fit that engine. Is there any difference between Cam sensors in these years?

Has anyone dealt with Camshaft position sensor problems in this era maxima?

Thank you.

OE is Hitachi, the 02-09 (don't hold me to that) should be the same parts. I have not come across any issues that i can recall with the sensors but the chain tensioners had some problems.
Any electrical sensor can fail.

Get Hitachi or OEM (same thing, but Hitachi will be cheaper if you can find them). Also, It appears good practice to replace both cam AND crank sensors at same time.

Trav, you ain't kidding on the chain tensioners. Been there done that. Also, the paper gasket in the rear timing cover WILL, at some time, blow out resulting in low oil pressure and chain/tensioner noise. Just replaced those on my Quest a week or so ago. Wish I'd have known about that issue when I did the main tensioner a couple years ago! That's a job and a half getting in there.

We install Autozone sensors on these with no issues. Why? Because they have a lifetime warranty and we have never had a premature failure.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
We install Autozone sensors on these with no issues. Why? Because they have a lifetime warranty and we have never had a premature failure.

Just looked those up. Autozone lists the Hitachis (OEM) for less than the house brand Duralast ones.

There are 2 cam and 1 crank sensor on that engine. Replace them all since they're known to be problematic. They often don't trigger a CEL and act up sporadically... stalling, hard starts, etc. On the Maxima forum everybody recommends OEM Hitachi. I got them off RA for cheaper than any parts store.

Originally Posted By: Trav
OE is Hitachi, the 02-09 (don't hold me to that) should be the same parts. I have not come across any issues that i can recall with the sensors but the chain tensioners had some problems.
Any electrical sensor can fail.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
There are 2 cam and 1 crank sensor on that engine. Replace them all since they're known to be problematic. They often don't trigger a CEL and act up sporadically... stalling, hard starts, etc. On the Maxima forum everybody recommends OEM Hitachi. I got them off RA for cheaper than any parts store.

Thanks guys. I got the front CPS0005 off RA, but they don't sell the rear, which is the newer metal CPS0002. Searching around people complain they get something else, so I may be forced to buy at AZ to confirm. Also, both connectors are brittle, broken, bad which may actually be the problem. But the risk of shutting down on the highway says shotgun all of it rather than find out which was at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back