New key programming cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much might I expect to pay for a new transponder key to be cut and programmed? I already have the new uncut key/remote of the correct type. Vehicle is a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica. I only have one existing key, thus I can't do the programming myself. Would need one new key/remote cut and programmed. Anyone have this done at a locksmith, and can you recall what it cost?

Dealer is not an option, they want $200+.

A locksmith should have no trouble, but expect to pay $100+, which actually is fair. Keys are a pain in the [censored]. Locksmith prices will vary by car and location, so they may not be any cheaper than the dealer. I'd try someone who makes keys for a living over a dealer though. I work for a dealer and have a locksmith on speed dial for all the situations where my POS machines can't/won't do it.

All vehicles I've ever owned with a transponder key have always required two existing keys to program a new one. The owners manual usually says it's due to theft protection in case a valet driver copies your key or something which sounds fair enough. Might be a US vs Canada requirement...

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
You might be able to do it yourself. Dodge Caravans can be done this way....
https://itstillruns.com/program-ignition-keys-dodge-caravan-6180553.html

The one I have has the internal transponder in the key. I might be able to program just the remote (unlock/lock buttons) using the method described, but the key still won't start the vehicle without the transponder being programmed.

The service department at my work charges $140 to program a key, if you have more than one programmed the labor rate is the same. We don't cut supplied keys because someone got one off of eBay or Amazon and it damaged our cutter, we were out a cutting wheel which aren't cheap since it is a captive market.

Probably about half the price of a dealer.

BTW, the dealer will probably use the same locksmith you'd call
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Probably about half the price of a dealer.

BTW, the dealer will probably use the same locksmith you'd call
crazy2.gif

We don't need to send keys out to be programmed. The locksmiths actually have to call us to get an access code number for programming Mazda keys. However we cannot provide that to them since the car must be hooked up to the Mazda scan tool and the technician logged into Mazda's webpage which is tied to his social security number.

O and the local locksmiths that can program keys are well over $100.

When finished, don't forget to buy some blanks, get them cut, and program them yourself to avoid this in the future. This is the very first thing I did when I bought my FCA vehicle 5 years ago. It cost less than $35 to make 2 extra keys out of OEM brand keystock (Strattec).

Got a backup key for my now totalled Encore. Locksmith cut one for me which would open door and start car. Alarm sounded til ignition turned on. No remote. Think it cost about $60. Girlfriend carried and in addition to emergency start would be the seed for a fully functional replacement that would run about half the cost of replacing a lost only key. Probably three years ago so details are murky, but find locksmith who does cars.

With Ford, there was actually a piece of free software called Forscan which allowed you to add or remove keys from the car so you didn't have to go to the dealer to program additional keys into memory. Back when I had a Ford, I bought a key blank on eBay, went to a local key shop to have the key cut and then took the key to Ford to program. They only charged me for a 1/2 hour of labor to program it, I think if I had brought a blank key or wanted the key it would have been a full hour. The key blank at the time was $10 and the local store charged me $2 to cut it. One store refused to do it because they didn't want to risk ruining the key and then having to pay for it.

I think you can also get a key cloned. That doesn't add a new key to the car database so it's still considered one key so you can't add additional keys. A local locksmith might be able to clone it cheaply. Sometimes I see kiosks that offer that service.

Here's one place that claims they do it for $60, not sure if they're any good or if there are cheaper places.

http://www.carkeys1.com/carkeys.php?cid=113_Chrysler_Pacifica_2004-2008

This thread and all the ones I've read regarding Volvo's "chipped keys" from the '90's and then fobs etc.

So many people bought things off ebay and Amazon only to find they didn't work or dealers / locksmiths got harrumphy over dealing with "outside hardware".

It's good to see the locksmithing industry offering many applications.

Originally Posted By: Kira
This thread and all the ones I've read regarding Volvo's "chipped keys" from the '90's and then fobs etc.

So many people bought things off ebay and Amazon only to find they didn't work or dealers / locksmiths got harrumphy over dealing with "outside hardware".

It's good to see the locksmithing industry offering many applications.

I usually won't cut keys that people buy elsewhere. I don't care that they bought the blank somewhere else, keys aren't a money maker regardless, but I don't want to deal with problems that are out of my control. Usually is the key word. I've trace cut Ford and Toyota keys for certain customers even though I work at a Chevy dealer. It all depends on their understanding of their situation...if someone fully acknowledges they are being cheap and going out on a limb, no problem. Someone that thinks I should be on the hook for anything that goes wrong with their eBay key can go try that at Home Depot or a locksmith. I'm not going there.

A lot of aftermarket stuff people find online isn't very good. I've seen a number of cheapo non-licensed aftermarket GM circle + transponder keys that just quit transponding. Sometimes reprogramming fixes it temporarily, but I guess whatever is inside just degrades or something. I have never seen an OE or Strattec licensed key do that ever. Considering circle + blanks are $33 full retail list price, I don't even know why the junky aftermarket ones exist. I guess that's still too much for some people. Aftermarket transmitters (remote fobs) are often pretty bad...flimsy and/or poor range. A lot of aftermarket keys have cheap metal too.

A good locksmith is a miracle worker. It makes sense to go to someone who does this for a living and has made a huge investment to do so. Key cutting equipment is not cheap, and even with the best equipment, it's a job that requires a lot of patience, knowledge, and skill to do well. If you want it done right the first time with minimal headaches, the guy with the new van, loaded up with equipment and tools that probably cost as much or more than the van, that he earned from decades of doing this, is probably the way to go.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Considering circle + blanks are $33 full retail list price, I don't even know why the junky aftermarket ones exist. I guess that's still too much for some people. Aftermarket transmitters (remote fobs) are often pretty bad...flimsy and/or poor range. A lot of aftermarket keys have cheap metal too.

This is a line of thinking espoused by anyone who wants to charge more for their product. It doesn't always mean that extra quality is being passed on. An OEM key cost less than $5 to make (I'm sure of this)-- the dealer is simply gouging people by charging $40+ for a cheap piece of molded plastic/alloy metal with some fifty cent circuit inside. I understand why dealers have to charge what they do, but I just don't buy the extra quality aspect. Every OEM keyfob I've ever owned will fall apart with time or if you drop it just right, just as easily as a cheap E-bay one.

I'll take the gamble on my pair of $13 remote/keys (Ebay). I bought a set so that I have three keys, in case one goes belly up and I have to replace it, I can program it myself. I can do this over 10 times for the price of one key from the dealer. At the rate my wife loses them, puts them in the wash, drops it in the driveway only to be run over later, this is very helpful. If the key doesn't cut on the first try? I'm out a few bucks, not the locksmith's fault. I'll take that bet everytime! I understand not everyone has the same mindset as I, and that's okay. The keys I received from Ebay mimic the OEM quality, fit and finish in every way. To each their own.

FWIW, I found a locksmith that will charge $65 for cut/programming the initial key. I have yet to hear from a couple others, I doubt I will find a better deal though.

A while back while on vacation, some dirtbag broke into my truck and stole my backpack. Had my spare keys and remote in it.
When I returned home, I went to the dealer for a new key and fob and was told it would be 360 dollars for the key, remote and programming. I called my buddy who's way more computer savvy than I am and in a few seconds he tells me don't do that. You can do it yourself.
I got a real GM key and remote on line and got the key cut by a friend in a hardware store.
Got instructions on Youtube to program them. Thankfully, my 09 can still do that. My dad has an 11 or 14 Tahoe and it requires some module or computer link. We found a local guy to do his for 65 bucks.
I lucked out. Probably won't be able to do that with my next car.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

This is a line of thinking espoused by anyone who wants to charge more for their product. It doesn't always mean that extra quality is being passed on. An OEM key cost less than $5 to make (I'm sure of this)-- the dealer is simply gouging people by charging $40+ for a cheap piece of molded plastic/alloy metal with some fifty cent circuit inside. I understand why dealers have to charge what they do, but I just don't buy the extra quality aspect. Every OEM keyfob I've ever owned will fall apart with time or if you drop it just right, just as easily as a cheap E-bay one.

I'll take the gamble on my pair of $13 remote/keys (Ebay). I bought a set so that I have three keys, in case one goes belly up and I have to replace it, I can program it myself. I can do this over 10 times for the price of one key from the dealer. At the rate my wife loses them, puts them in the wash, drops it in the driveway only to be run over later, this is very helpful. If the key doesn't cut on the first try? I'm out a few bucks, not the locksmith's fault. I'll take that bet everytime! I understand not everyone has the same mindset as I, and that's okay. The keys I received from Ebay mimic the OEM quality, fit and finish in every way. To each their own.

FWIW, I found a locksmith that will charge $65 for cut/programming the initial key. I have yet to hear from a couple others, I doubt I will find a better deal though.

I don't want to deal with keys at all, and I have seen aftermarket keys and fobs fail in ways that I have not seen OE keys and fobs fail, so for me it has nothing to do with wanting to charge more for keys. I'd rather be selling any other part on a car. I will gladly refer people to other key resources, but I don't want to cut a key that didn't come out of my inventory unless the customer understands that if it doesn't work, it's on them. A lot of people think if they buy a key off eBay, then take it to a dealer for cutting and programming and it doesn't work, the dealer should be on the hook for getting them a working key. Nope. If someone knows what they are doing I'll work with them, but I'm not trying to get involved with the general public's eBay keys. A lot of people don't understand that the cheapest possible route is a gamble. They just think the cheapest route should work exactly like the most expensive route every time, so there's no incentive for dealers to charge less than they normally would.

The dealer doesn't pay the raw cost of making the key blank to buy it...an OE circle +, PK3, or VATS key costs a GM dealer around $17. Professional cutting equipment is very expensive, and cut keys are time consuming and low profit relative to other parts, so if a dealer just charges the retail price of the blank, that's a good deal. Any gouging is done by the manufacturer.

$65 is a great deal for a cut and program from a professional locksmith. Sounds like a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back