Sightly overfilled oil..ok or drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I changed my oil/filter today on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 and slightly overfilled by a tad over 1/4 quart. The capacity is 4.23 quarts. Can this cause issues or damage and should I drain, or leave it and its fine??

Thanks
Michael in NJ

Good to be a little overfilled than the other way around. With the Matrix they came out with a revised dipstick to allow an extra 1/4 quart of oil in the engine.

1/4 quart would be within the typical allowed error for a service technician; so, it should be A-OK, as the manufacturer would have to account for that.

I remember in the past service technicians used to put 1/2 quart extra so that people wouldn't run out of oil between OCIs. I would tell him it took 3-1/2 qt but he would insist on 4 qt -- "We put four bottles and it comes up here (well above the F mark)."

Eight whole ounces?
Nothing at all to worry about.
I daringly overfill by as much as half a quart with no ill effects over the decades I've done this.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
The extra oil is going get mixed by like crank like an eggbeater, aerate your oil, then starve your oil pump and smoke your mill!
ridiculous comment

The extra oil is going get mixed by like crank like an eggbeater, aerate your oil, then starve your oil pump and smoke your mill!

Immature, childish comment too.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
ridiculous comment

Originally Posted By: flinter
Immature, childish comment too.

Sorry guys, I've been a little on edge since I found out my LR tire was overfilled by .3 PSI, the humanity!

Sorry guys, I've been a little on edge since I found out my LR tire was overfilled by .3 PSI, the humanity!

As they say, sarcasm is the lowest form of humor. Right up your alley I see. The post reminds me of something a little twit would say.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Only thing it could hurt is possibly the catconverter.

Only if it was burning, and even then 1/4 quart isn't going to make any difference.

No worries in my opinion. Just change the oil on my Mom's van, and my Accord. Both were slightly overfilled when I checked. I'm not worried. Now a quart over...that's a different story.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Only thing it could hurt is possibly the catconverter.

Only if it was burning, and even then 1/4 quart isn't going to make any difference.

Automakers warn about it. VW for instance in the manual and on oil cap. Specifically mention the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back