Hail damage means newer vehicle time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son in laws vehicle was totaled so I went car shopping with them. He was leaning towards a Nissan Rogue or Murano. However they test drove a 2016 Hyundai Sanra Fe and are getting it. Seems like a nice ride.

Look that the driver side rain gutter. Dang!

How much was it to buy back? (Did he even ask?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Look that the driver side rain gutter. Dang!

How much was it to buy back? (Did he even ask?)

No kidding. If the buy back was cheap enough, it would make for a heck of a nice "beater"

Just right for off-roading now. Weld up the rear end and don't worry about brush burns
laugh.gif

We had a big hail event on May 15, 1983. A lot of cars were damaged at dealerships. The automakers didn't let dealers sell them at a loss, citing it would be bad PR to have a slew of these pockmarked cars on the road for the next 10-15 years.

Happened in Fountain/Colorado Springs Colorado. Lots of damage to cars and houses. Lots of insurance adjusters brought in. PDR repair places set up etc.

My daughter is still waiting to hear if her car is totalled.

He didn't check buy back. If we thought ahead I might have considered getting it from him.

Broc and Sir Tanon. You guys smell what I am stepping in.

A new (junkyard) hood at minimum would have done wonders. It appears to be a pickup so the bed I am sure was good enough.

I'd DD the thing, but a trail thing/ "beater" would be fine too.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Happened in Fountain/Colorado Springs Colorado.

That's too funny. As I was reading your post, I was recalling my experiences with hail, and two vehicles I major damage on. One occurred in Colorado Springs, the other in Pueblo, Colorado. One was totaled, the other about $5,000 in damage.

The one I had about $5k in damage on, I used that insurance check to put a down payment on a new vehicle. It sounds sleezy, but the dealer gave me a trade-in amount that was about what I'd get for the car without any damage. I think he took in my damaged car and claimed it with the rest of his cars that had damage. I couldn't have purchased it without that extra $5k, I think he did it just to make the sale. I remember saving a LOT of money on that transaction.

Originally Posted By: CT8
buy it back and continue to drive the car.

Won't have to worry about another parking lot ding ever again!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Broc and Sir Tanon. You guys smell what I am stepping in.

A new (junkyard) hood at minimum would have done wonders. It appears to be a pickup so the bed I am sure was good enough.

I'd DD the thing, but a trail thing/ "beater" would be fine too.

Most of the rest of the truck was not damaged or had a small dent. The front pass fender had two big dents that also knocked the paint off.

It is a 4x4 and no rust.

A friend just got a 2017 santa fe sport sport
Sport refers to the 2 row of seats. The regular santa fe is 3 rows now
pretty much base with a couple options.

I found it to be very nice. IIRC it was around $17k
Seats were comfortable overall a good 4 person family mover.. 5 with smaller kids or no fat people would be ok.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
We had a big hail event on May 15, 1983. A lot of cars were damaged at dealerships. The automakers didn't let dealers sell them at a loss, citing it would be bad PR to have a slew of these pockmarked cars on the road for the next 10-15 years.

Yet their peeling clear coat doesn't matter.

It may show up on copart since I've noticed a fair amount of hail damaged cars in that area. At least the glass wasn't all shattered and broken up.

Why not just keep the existing vehicle? Buy it back for cheap, slap on a junkyard hood, and you just got paid to keep the same vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back