'98 Mercedes E300TD Rotella T5 10W-30 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
First sample of my own oil from my '98 E300 TurboDiesel. ~240k miles on it. This is Rotella T5 10W-30 and seems to work VERY well. 0 make-up oil on a 5k mile change interval, and was ~1/4 quart or less down when I changed it. My drive to work is 7 miles each way, and the car sees lots of short tripping around town during the day, and lots of WOT on a chipped ecu.

Last edited:
A diesel oil does well in a diesel engine?
Who woulda thunk it?
LOL!
I'm guessing that you got this oil for around .25/qt net last year?
I'd say that you got a steal based upon how well this stuff works in this old and well used Benz.
This looks like a good choice of oil for this engine and yes, it is CJ4.
Nice boron content as well as a nice balance of calcium and magnesium and enough moly for it to work.
A stout oil that I'm glad to have bought at .25/qt net myself.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Who woulda thunk it?
LOL!
I'd say that you got a steal based upon how well this stuff works in this old and well used Benz.
Nice boron content as well as a nice balance of calcium and magnesium and enough moly for it to work.

I got it for $15/2.5Gal jug. And I bought 10 of them lol. And use Mann filters (I own a shop that does a lot of Euro work, I stock mann & hengst for most of the stuff we see.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Who woulda thunk it?
LOL!

I got it for $15/2.5Gal jug. And I bought 10 of them lol. And use Mann

filters (I own a shop that does a lot of Euro work, I stock mann & hengst for most of the stuff we see.

"
I also bought the Rotella T5 10W-30 @AAP for $15 - $12.50 Shell rebate. Definitely "CJ-4", what is a surprise is the amount of Br and the flash point. Both are higher than what was posted in the archives. My synthetic UOA PP & TGMO never posted close to 450F.

PQIA Shell T5 10W-30 11-19-2014

Wear metals are great, but I would ask Blackstone to re-run the UOA because these great results will subject your opinion to "confirmation bias" plus you did not run a VOA for this particular 2.5 jug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
I also bought the Rotella T5 10W-30 @AAP for $15 - $12.50 Shell rebate. Definitely "CJ-4", what is a surprise is the amount of Br and the flash point. Both are higher than what was posted in the archives. My synthetic UOA PP & TGMO never posted close to 450F

Br in the oil would definitely be a surprise, a bad one.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
I also bought the Rotella T5 10W-30 @AAP for $15 - $12.50 Shell rebate. Definitely "CJ-4", what is a surprise is the amount of Br and the flash point. Both are higher than what was posted in the archives. My synthetic UOA PP & TGMO never posted close to 450F

Br in the oil would definitely be a surprise, a bad one.

Br is Bromine in the periodic chart, why would anyone find this in their oil?

Looks like excellent report. I know Mercedes Diesel engines are strong and durable. How is everything else holding up in terms of maintenance and cost to own.

Nice report.......I would remove your personal information from the photo.....thats just me though
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back