2 cycle injector oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little background: 1996 Suzuki, 4 cylinder, 90HP, oil injection, purchased new by me for a 17Ft. Alum boat. I ran the factory fill Suzuki oil until almost empty. I then removed the oil injection cannister from the engine and dumped any remaining oil. This is engine mounted and holds 5 quarts. I then filled with full synthetic Itasca. I ran Itasca oil until last year when I no longer could get it. I then purchased 4 gallons of another brand Full synthetic. I did the same routine of dumping out any remaining oil. This was 5/1/01.

Now for today and the ironic part. I had used 2 gallons since then and was on the full 3'rd bottle in the motor. Today, I decided to clean the fuel filter, and I have to remove the oil injection container. So it is easier to dump the oil into a gallon bottle for this. As I was pouring it in the gallon container it would be nice thin oil, then real heavy, slurry, then thin again. Had alot of residue in the bottle that looked like slime. This was NOT water or condensation, as 95 degrees over a week and no moisture on the cap. Needless to say I wasn't going to dump that oil back in. As luck had it, I had a case of 2cycle oil I had purchased for my 200HP EFI Mercury. So I put it in this one instead. It is semi-syn and contains moly and some other trade secret additive.

I called the oil company and they offered to replace any I had on hand. Just send it back in. I told him that yes I would do that and use it as a fuel additive in my diesel as it is ashless and the only thing I would trust it in. Not one question if my motor was still good ect. It had started to smoke like heck the last 2 times out, and was real low smoke before.

The moral of the story is that if you have an oil injection system on your boat, and it starts to run different, alot of smoke ect. I would check the injector oil first. Pour it in a container and check it.

Vetteman,

Either the oil lost its solvent (which is needed for miscibility of ingredients), or the blending wasn't too great.

I can believe solvent loss and that is one reason I do not use petroleum 2-cycle injector
oils.

MolaKule,
This was a full synthetic AIO. I agree with you on the synthetic, however I am rethinking my views after this experience.

I was real sorry to see the Itasca brand gone, I noticed that Pennzoil has a FULL synthetic 2-cycle under their own label. I am wondering if it is the Itasca rebranded and updated or a whole different formulation. Any info on this ?

I think Johnny already commented on Pennzoil & Itasca.

Care to name names as to wchich brand put out this new (defective) goo? I've heard a small handful of people who were disappointed with Golden Spectro (I think their synthetic blend) and they've gone on to use Motul in their competition dirt bikes.

I don't use a lot of 2-stroke machines. We have a Stihl wheed whip and chain saw and we have many small cans of a myriad of brands of 2-cycle oil I'm trying to use up.

I have previously mentioned that I gave my brother some Red Line "All-Sport" 2-stroke oil for use in his daughter's Kitty-Cat snowmobile. I can't comment on it's performance except to say that it doesn't smoke at all.

Bror Jace,
Thanks for the reply. I misunderstood Johnny's post as I did not realize that the Pennzoil Full Syn. is the same as the old Itasca. Please accept my apology on this. When I told my brother, he bought a case of it today. I did get a case of the Schaeffer's 2-cycle, semi-syn. for mine.

I sent in the bad gallon today. I won't have a reply for awhile. I called the Co. today and was assured it was not usual. I have since found out that this has happened to other companies. It has alot of variables that cause it. So I'll leave it at that if you don't mind as the first 2 gallons of this brand ran great.

MolaKule,
No, you are safe. In fact I haven't seen it mentioned. The highest RPM I turn with my 200EFI Mercury is about 5800.

offtopic.gif
I went to Lake Atkins today and took pictures. They are draining it, then do a total fish kill, then refill and restock. Let me know if you are down this way, free guided fishing day!!!! and anyone else that is interested.

I saw my brother over the holiday weekend and after talking to him about gas-powered toys, I thought I should correct something I said earlier on this board. I had bought him some Red Line "All-Sport" 2-cycle oil last December and he had used it and found that it gave off almost "no smoke."

The truth is, he got these results with some other brand of oil and gas previously mixed. The bottle of Red Line oil sat on a shelf unopened. It seems the Kitty Kat child-size snowmobile (calling for a 50:1 mix) naturally gives off very little smoke.

I just wanted to set the record straight and be as honest as possible.
smile.gif

59 Vetteeman, Did you ever get a reply? I have also seen this happen. Seem like time and heat have something to do with it. Do you think it has to do with base oil and the additive package not being compatible?
smile.gif

I have heard of this happening with a couple brands of oil. When it happened to me it was in a Suzuki 4 cylinder and the Auto Injector sits under the cowling, about 1 gallon. I think the heat ect. as you mentioned probably caused 90% of the problem.

The Company did not reply on what the problem was. They just sent me 4 gallons of new oil. So I was happy with the service. I think it was also a slim chance of a bad mix from the factory. But all turned out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back