Jae

quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:
Who makes the best tasting food?

Pizza.

"Who makes the best syn?"

Mobil 1.

The reasons why:
While there are a lot of great synthetic out there, Mobil 1 continues to be the lowest price (for a 10w-30 full syn), easiest to obtain, and can hang with the others that are so highly regarded. Is Redline better? Yes in certain situations. Is Amsoil better? Yes, in certain situations. The application is the deciding factor. Mobil 1 is the best for me cause it fits my application the best, its cheaper than the others and I can get it on a whim on Sundays. And since I'm the center of my own little world, Mobil 1 is the best.

quote:

Originally posted by yellow68:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
O.K. - now we have some information. What does that engine call for? In Georgia you probably should go with a 40 wt. If you are going to run it to the ultimate limit-Redline would be a good choice. Anything less then certainly Delvac 1 5W-40 would be great. Amsoil boys can help you here. If you are going to stick with Mobil 1 I would go with a 30% to 50% ratio of 15W-50/10W-30.

How long should I run my new motor until I mash down on it hard? 1000 miles

That depends, how are you going to drive it??

If you are goinh to drive it hard , break it in hard.

If you are going to baby it , break it in slow.

All my motors that I have built get the cams broke in, engine adjusted, back it out the garage and head down the street at full throtle, go straight to redline.

Rings seat very nicely.

As far as the oil I would recommend Redline.

CRW

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
How are you able to drive a 9-10000 rpm ([email protected]?)smallblock ford on the street? Why would you cam it that high and not take advantage of it?

Good question it is hard. I have almost 500 miles on the motor but I wanted to break it in properly because it cost too much not to. It is amazing. I running a toploader 4-speed with a 3:25 gear and the rpms still tach up so fast. I would not want any lower gear because it spins so easy now in first and second gear. Do you think that the synthetic oil will make the engine leak? Everything is new, but the seals and design are old school. They don't compare to the newer 4.6L seals and design.

quote:

Originally posted by Kompressor:

quote:

Originally posted by yellow68:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
How long should I run my new motor until I mash down on it hard? 1000 miles
I'd break in the cam, change the oil, look inside the filter, then run it as hard as you like. My 2 cents [/QB]

Luckily I have a roller cam and they don't require breaking in so you think let it rip?

Yeah I'd let it rip
burnout.gif
But I didn't pay for it either
wink.gif

But I would change the oil now and still use dino for a little while longer.
Then I would probably use Red Line, but Neo and VP Racing looks interesting too. I think Terry was testing VP. Looked good so far.

[/QUOTE]I'd break in the cam, change the oil, look inside the filter, then run it as hard as you like. My 2 cents [/QB][/QUOTE]Luckily I have a roller cam and they don't require breaking in so you think let it rip? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Once your confident it's tuned properly, I'd run it how your gonna run it. What advice did your engine builder give you on oil and break-in precedure? I've always used Kendall 40 wt in drag cars and hotboats, this is probably behind the times, although it will thin less than a dino multi (even 20w50 from my experience) for extended high rpm applications. If it were me I would try 15w40 full synth. from one of the top quality makers such as Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil or Royal Purple. You'd do well (IMO) to try different viscosities from 10w40 to 20w50 and let the oil pressure tell you what the engine likes best. I'm a newby here, so take my oil advice accordingly.

Either Syntec 10w-40, M1 15w-50 or SynPower 20w-50, all OTC and fine for your application. Heck, HD 15w-40 Dello is what my friend uses in his 'Cuda Grand Coupe' and we are in the Northeast.

quote:

Originally posted by Kompressor:

I'd break in the cam, change the oil, look inside the filter, then run it as hard as you like. My 2 cents [/QUOTE]Luckily I have a roller cam and they don't require breaking in so you think let it rip? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Once your confident it's tuned properly, I'd run it how your gonna run it. What advice did your engine builder give you on oil and break-in precedure? I've always used Kendall 40 wt in drag cars and hotboats, this is probably behind the times, although it will thin less than a dino multi........ I'm a newby here, so take my oil advice accordingly. [/QB][/QUOTE]

You may be a newbie, but you know your stuff a lot better than some so-called "oldbies." The straight 40 weight does indeed hang on to its stated viscosity, and consequently maintain engine oil pressure, better than the fancy multi-grades. This is when the going gets tough, like in extended late-July/August(Summer), sustained high-rpm, heavy-load operation.

Personally, for non-racetrack applications, I have found straight 30 weight Dino more than sufficient to meet my requirements. But occasionally, I have used straight 40 weight.

Did I read Mobil 1 didn't make a 10-40 oil? I have Mobil 1 10-40 in the garage right now.
confused.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fishsalt
Did I read Mobil 1 didn't make a 10-40 oil? I have Mobil 1 10-40 in the garage right now.
confused.gif

They didn`t make it until their HM oils came out.

This caught my eye, like a few others apparently.

I wonder what some answers would be too this question if posed today, yes i realize the original thread is very old....Like a cat, curiosity may kill me....

To update by 10 years--opinion only, nothing scientific, Castrol Edge with Titanium FST. Now if I were to get really specific, the best synthetics (please don't get started on that word) are the "targeted" oils for specific engines...ie the Euro manufacturers approval system. But for our one size fits all in the US I go back to my opening general recommendation.

The "One" that makes you most happy. Lots of good stuff out there, it is prudent to stick w/ the one you feel works best in your vehicle.

Besides, as technology always advancing the best oil today will not be best as soon as next gen comes out.

Originally Posted By: yellow68
Who makes the best synthetic motor oil?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back