Advance Auto Parts 5w20 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil looks weak.

crushedcar.gif

I thought all 5w20 dino oils had *some* Group III base oil, therefore a weaker add pack?

Not a bad GF4 SM rated oil for 98 cents.

Guy behind the counter at AA last night told me that Havoline makes the house oil for Advance....not sure he knows or was making a sales pitch lol

Goose
patriot.gif

Here's a VOA that I did based on some of the comments made about AAP 5w20 on this and other forums for. I also posted this on another Ford Forum as I'm thinking about using it. I'm a novice UOA interperter, but I'm not that wild about this oil. Looks like there's a reason as to why it's cheap. Is a SI number of 4 normal for a brand new oil?

Black stone Labs

EQUIPMENT MAKE:
EQUIPMENT MODEL:
FUEL TYPE:
OIL USE INTERVAL: Virgin
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Advance Auto Parts 5w20
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED:

CLINT: No problems showed up in this sample of virgin oil. These additives are normal for a 5W/20 product. No moisture or excessive wear was found. The insolubles probably shouldn't be there but we are increasingly often finding traces in virgin oil samples. The insolubles aren't hurting anything. The TBN was okay for a gasoline engine oil at 7.3.

VOA
...................ACT.........Universal Averages
ALUMINUM ......0...............1
CHROMIUM.......0.................0
IRON...............0................1
COPPER...........0................0
LEAD................0...............0
TIN.................0................0
MOLYBDENUM....51..............60
NICKEL.............0................0
MANGANESE......0................0
SILVER.............0................0
TITANIUM.........0................0
POTASSIUM......0.................0
BORON.............0................30
SILICON............4................3
SODIUM............0................43
CALCIUM...........1253............1622
MAGNESIUM..........4.............81
PHOSPHORUS.......501............588
ZINC...................610............703
BARIUM...............0................0

..............................Sus @ 210F....Flash....Fuel....Antifreeze..Water.....INS
Values should be............53-62........>355... Values were...................55.3...........425.....-........................0.........TR

Silicon appears in many formulations since it is used as an anti-foaming agent.

No Boron?
smile.gif

Wonder how the dispersant function is performed with this oil?

Some other low cost products, such as Exxon Superflo, are out there with much higher additive levels & proven UOA performance.

Thanks for contributing this report to the VOA library!

Do a search on AAP Oil or Advance Auto parts in the Car and Truck Gas Engine Oil forum or the Auto General Topics forum - this topic comes up every month.

It is bottled by Warren Oil which bought out Coastal.

No, the only thing that it says on on the back of the bottle is "meets SM/ISLAC GF-4"

This qt of oil cost me $1.38.

Due to it not meeting the Ford 929A spec, and that no one really seems to be crazy about this VOA, I will not be using this oil in my Fords.

Others have posted previously that the back labels of Advance Auto motor oil explicitly state that it's not produced by Havoline. The more I read about Warren-Unilube motor oils, the less I'm inclined to want to try them.

Note: Warren-Unilube (previously Warren Oil before it bought out Coastal-Unilube), the blender of Coastal motor oils, is entirely unrelated to Warren Performance Products.

Yep, I vote for 'weak' as well.
frown.gif

Even Valvoline probably has a more stout additive package.

I'd rather have Chevron, Havoline or Pennzoil 5W-20 in my engine.

--- Bror Jace

No Ford endorsement, no TomJones76.
Advance Auto does enough volume to afford the testing. Makes me afraid this stuff can't pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back