BMW High Performance 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a VOA of the current BMW 5w-30 synthetic.
the bottles production code is M060417A54.
Sample date 03/31/2006.

code:

Aluminum 3

Chromium 0

Iron 0

Copper 0

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 126

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 1

Boron 53

Silicon 6

Sodium 2

Calcium 2612

Magnesium 6

Phosphorus 717

Zinc 838

Barium 0

SUS Vis @ 210F 64.7

Flashpoint 445

Fuel 0

Antifreeze 0

Water 0.0

Insolubles Trace

Blackstone comments:
This was a clean 5w-30 oil in which no problems were found in the analyisis. Only a trace of insolubles were found which really isn't unusual for a virgin product.
The additives are typical of other samples we have run for this oil. the TBN was 10.6, plenty high, and a good point to start out from if you intend to use this oil for extended use. 1.0 is considered too low. This oil should serve your gas engine needs well.

The invoice from my dealer says list is $11.70, I paid $5.75 for it. There are a couple of online sources in the $5 - 6 range.

It is rated ACAE A3/B3 and API SL/CF.

Local BMW Dealer, Niello BMW of Sacramento, sells it for $4.95/qt.

OTOH, Roseville BMW sells it for $7/qt (or more)!
shocked.gif

I found my printout of the results of the other VOA of the BMW 5w-30 posted in 2003. The link no longer works in the original post.
The report date was 1/21/03.

I'll type in the results to compare the oil over time.

code:

Aluminum 0

Chromium 0

Iron 1

Copper 0

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 92

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 76

Silicon 8

Sodium 2

Calcium 2692

Magnesium 10

Phosphorus 745

Zinc 841

Barium 0

SUS @ 212 66.8

Flashpoint 455

Fuel -

Antifreeze -

water 0.0

Insolubles trace

Blackstone comments:
Here are the results from the virgin BMW analysis. This oil contains quite a bit of boron and molybdenum, as you can see. The only surprising finding was the trace of insolubles, which probably shouldn't be there, but probably aren't hurting anything either. The viscosity read on the high side for a 5w-30, looking a little more like a 10w-30, Again, we doubt it would hurt anything.

Thanks to Daniel for sending this in and posting it.

This stuff sells as Castrol TXT Softec in Europe if I'm not mistaken. It's a decent oil according to many of the UOA's I've seen. No reason why this wouldn't perform well in a vehicle that likes a heavy 30wt.

There are several 10,000 plus mile UOAs posted of this oil.
It is ACEA A3/B3, API SL/CF rated, one of the few 30 weights to meet the ACEA A3 3.5+ HTHS spec. I think it does well but I would not pay the $11.00 a quart list price the dealers try to charge. My dealer sells it to BMW Car club members for $5.75. I have seen it online for $6.00 plus shipping. My UOAs have been from my dealer free service under my warranty, after that is over I will use GC or Red Line and continue to change at 5-6000 miles.

This stuff isn't too bad, tho I think it's just a hyped up 5w30 syn that's made to smell good (seriously, this past week we had a customers Mini come into the shop for an oil and filter change. Since the dealer suggested "BMW syn" we went ahead and ordered 5 liters from them. WHile pouring it into the engine, I smellt a funny,sweet menthol smell...it really was strange, but I kinda liked it.

For the price this stuff sells at, I'm not too suprised a this observation.

Quote:

This stuff isn't too bad, tho I think it's just a hyped up 5w30 syn that's made to smell good (seriously, this past week we had a customers Mini come into the shop for an oil and filter change. Since the dealer suggested "BMW syn" we went ahead and ordered 5 liters from them. WHile pouring it into the engine, I smellt a funny,sweet menthol smell...it really was strange, but I kinda liked it.

How much did you pay for it? It was $5.00/qt over here, last that I checked. Perhaps it has gone up by now...

Quote:

Quote:

How much did you pay for it? It was $5.00/qt over here, last that I checked. Perhaps it has gone up by now...

I'm not sure, we have our business discount, but I'll check tomorrow morning to see what we got it for. Obviously it's a bit less than what they charge everyone else.

IMHO, I'd just buy a good 5w30 like M1 or Delvac1 to replace it if it were my car. Both oils show really good overall characteristics

imho, most xW30's are too thin for bimmers, they make the valvetrain noisey...
Older bimmers will like a 40 or 50wt.
I'd use Rotella syn 5W40 before I used M1 5W30 (or their 0W40).

GC at 8k seems perfectly safe to me and that's what I do on our '01 E39 530i. sorry, no UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back