The best synthetic motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes the best tasting food?

There isn't really a specific answer to your question, and I'm sure someone will get more specific about this than I have.

quote:

Originally posted by yellow68:
Who makes the best synthetic motor oil?

Honestly, it's not an easy answer.

There are many good oils out there, and some work better in certain engines than others.

If you stick with Amsoil, Redline, Schaeffer Oil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple or the new German Castrol, all of these should give you a long engine life.

The best way to determine which oil, and which viscosity works best for your driving habits, climate and engine, is through used oil analysis, that way you can see how much engine wear is taking place.

Another very important factor in engine life, which many people don't realize (but most people on here are aware of) is that your air filter plays a critical role. Engine wear is drastically increased when too much dirt gets past your air filter, so no matter how good your oil is, it can't protect the engine from dirt. Believe it or not, the OEM paper air filter is usually the best at trapping dirt, and the longer you leave it on, the better it filters, so changing it too often does more harm than good. This is something that will shock a lot of people, since most Jiffy Lubes will try to sell you a new air filter every single time you go in there.

[ October 09, 2003, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

SuperTech "Full Synthetic" 10W-30. Universally recognized by tribologists as the finest of its type available regardless of price and suitable for all automotive applications in any climate. BS? Yep. So was your loaded question. Now if you'd given us something to work with, say, "I have a (name your vehicle) with (name your mileage), used primarily for (you get the idea), and I'd appreciate some input about an appropriate synthetic oil.", you'd have received some thoughtful (and more importantly, meaningful) replies. If you want an intelligent answer, ask an intelligent question.

[ October 09, 2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

I thought about that, too, but since "yellow 68" couched his question as an absolute superlative, I concluded money was no object for him. (Must be nice, eh?)

I make the best oil in the world in my basement, it shows ZERO wear and I'm keeping it a secret! (said with a Dr.Evil accent) For 1,000,000,000 dollars I'll sell it to you my little friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:

There isn't really a specific answer to your question, and I'm sure someone will get more specific about this than I have.

Well, I just put in a 331 stroker motor in my 68 mustang and I am about to change the oil at 500 miles and I want the best oil to use in it. This motor turns 9,000 or 10,000 rpms but I am not going to turn it that high. It cost to much for that. I was thinking Mobil 1 because of the cost and ease to locate it. You can buy it anywhere.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
I thought about that, too, but since "yellow 68" couched his question as an absolute superlative, I concluded money was no object for him. (Must be nice, eh?)

No I just get my but out of bed and go to work everday. Not that hard

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:

quote:

Pizza.

"Who makes the best syn?"

Mobil 1.

But who makes the best tasting pizza?

Mobil 1 makes good oil. You'll have no problems because of its use. But for break-in I'd go with some inexpensive dino for another short change interval or two (maybe 1000 miles per).

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

On a serious note. I don't drive this car but on nice days and weekends but I will drive it hard occasionaly. What difference does it make how much it cost when you are putting 500 to 1000 miles on a car a year. I just wanted to see what the best protection for my engine would be. I think mobil 1 is a good choice but amsoil and redline have good names too.

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:

quote:

Pizza.

"Who makes the best syn?"

Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 makes good oil. You'll have no problems because of its use. But for break-in I'd go with some inexpensive dino for another short change interval or two (maybe 1000 miles per).

How long do you think it will take to break my motor in? I was thinking 1000 miles until I can drive it hard.

O.K. - now we have some information. What does that engine call for? In Georgia you probably should go with a 40 wt. If you are going to run it to the ultimate limit-Redline would be a good choice. Anything less then certainly Delvac 1 5W-40 would be great. Amsoil boys can help you here. If you are going to stick with Mobil 1 I would go with a 30% to 50% ratio of 15W-50/10W-30.

Now that we know what engine this oil will be going into, I think it's safer to make recommendations.

For something like this, which is obviously not going to be winter driven, a 10w40 synthetic is probably the best choice.

A 10w30 might be just a little too thin for this engine, especially if it's going to be driven hard from time to time.

I think 10w40 Amsoil or 10w40 Redline would fit the bill here.

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:
[/qb]

[/QB][/QUOTE]

A little place in my hometown. Its closed now, so I'm still searching!

Well 68, sounds like an awesome ride. I would follow Patman's recomendation of the 10w-40 in the Redline or Amsoil. Both are superior oils under extreme conditons (ie racing). M1 is close, but its said that M1 (or Amsoil) is best for the street, but Redline is best for the track. Since this isn't your daily driver, I would go with the Redline.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
O.K. - now we have some information. What does that engine call for? In Georgia you probably should go with a 40 wt. If you are going to run it to the ultimate limit-Redline would be a good choice. Anything less then certainly Delvac 1 5W-40 would be great. Amsoil boys can help you here. If you are going to stick with Mobil 1 I would go with a 30% to 50% ratio of 15W-50/10W-30.

How long should I run my new motor until I mash down on it hard? 1000 miles

Check with the engine builder to get his recommendations, but if it were me, honestly I would only wait long enough to get the oil temperature up on it's maiden voyage, then I'd be driving it full throttle right away. I drove my 98 Formula that way on the very first day I took delivery of it, and one week later made 16 quarter mile passes, and it ended up being one of the most reliable LS1 engines out there (no piston slap, no oil consumption in the 2.5 years I owned it)

quote:

Originally posted by yellow68:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

How long should I run my new motor until I mash down on it hard? 1000 miles

Why mix the oil? Can't you just pick something in the middle? What is your line of thinking and how did you come to this conclusion?

"Why mix the oil? Can't you just pick something in the middle? What is your line of thinking and how did you come to this conclusion?"

Because Mobil 1 does not make a 10w-40 oil. Mobil runs on the thin side of the their stated weights so their 15W-50 is more like a 40 weight oil. The Mobil 1 10w-30 (which is an excellent oil) is probaly too thin for your application of spirited driving. Mobil 1 is very similar in formulation through out their viscosity weights versus other synthetic oils.

By mixing the two as suggested before, you would have a thicker Mobil 1 oil for your application and you get easily get both weights at WalMart or AutoZoo versus the Amsoil or Redline through dealers (site sponsors) internet/mail order.

That being said, Amsoil or Redline would be my choice for such a special car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back