0w30 Motomaster Formula 1 blend (Canadian Tire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zn 906, Si 3, Mo 0, Ag 0, Ni 0, K 3, Na 8, Sn 0, Pb 0, Cu 0, Al 0, Cr 0, Fe 1

Visc 100C = 12.3 cSt.
Particle count was flagged as abnormal. I did have it stored in the cold for a while, and shook the bottle before having it tested, so there may be some additive dropout causing the particles.
10u per mL 1243
15u per mL 225

Thanks to Toromont Cat for this analysis.

I'm not sure about the Na and K since most of the results I've gotten have had similar levels.

Bottle says API SJ, and mentions CF, CG-4, GF-2, but it also says Energy Conserving, and Canadian Tire is not on the list of API licensees, so the label may not be telling the truth. However, lab results make me believe this is a motor oil. It might possibly be Shell Rotella SB 0w30, since I've heard that Shell supplies Canadian Tire.

I'm fairly familiar with Cdn Tires' range of house brand oils but I've never seen a 0W30 Syn' let alone a blend. Are you sure this is not a 5W30 grade?
Yes, I believe Shell is the supplier.

They still carry it at all the stores I've checked. I bought several of the dark blue bottles for $2.99 ea on sale a few months ago.

It's not worth half that price.Oil does have a shelf and if it has been "stored in the cold" it has very likely started to gel.
Back in the 90's Cdn Tire carried a 15W50 Semi-Synthetic Blend which I used on occation when it went on sale. The last time I bought some I didn't use the last of it for a couple of years (oil was stored in a sometimes cool but not cold basement). When pouring it into my Porsche 928 engine it poured normally initially but as the last half of the bottle started to empty it became very viscous; jelly-like. I don't know if it was the VII settling out or gelation of the oil I returned it to Cdn Tire and got a staight exchange on their current full synthetic Group III oil.

Peter

Yes, some of the bottles on the shelf can be very old and dusty, with peeling labels. The ones I picked up look newer, and have a code on them:
02/21/04 3:06
02/21/04 3:24
So, maybe they're bottled Feb 21, 2004.

The jelling might be bacteria or fungus growing on traces of moisture, and would probably clog up the oil filter pretty quick. I'll be careful.

Or maybe it's April 21st, 2002. Now I have to go in and figure out their date code scheme.

I believe they have been selling 0W30 syn blend at our local Canadian Tire here on Prince Edward Island , Canada for a number of years now.

You want to see gel, open a bottle of Motor Master Supreme in -40c weather and watch it glop into the oil fill tube in chunks.

Really freaky and is why I only use synthetic up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back