Old school oils tested by Blackstone

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/October-1-2012.php

Nice read!
thumbsup2.gif

This is the Amsoil I used in the 70s for a year or so. 10-40 was the first synthetic oil I used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
This is the Amsoil I used in the 70s for a year or so. 10-40 was the first synthetic oil I used.

It is hard to imagine that Amsoil could last 25,000 miles.

Engines in the 1970's burned a lot more oil than today - I'd bet they relied on regular top-offs to gurantee the oils perfromance.

I want to thank Ryan and Blackstone for doing this series of analyses.

Ryan is a friendly, funny guy with a constant smile.

These oils bring back many memories of helping my dad and grandad rebuild engines and changing the oils before a trip or during regular maintenance.

The Barium used in many of these old oils was used as a rust preventative and soot dispersant.

The Amsoil 10w40 was the first API approved synthetic oil with a base oil of diesters made by HATCO.

I recently got a bunch of old oils from my dad and one was a Pennzoil "Penzane" oil and another was our former SF 5W30 full synthetic.

I will have analyses of both here.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, anyone know what the phosphorus based additive is in Castrol R? It's clearly not ZDDP as there's no Zinc in the oil. I doubt if it's simple alkyl thio acid as the TAN isn't that high. I'd hazard a guess that it's some kind of Amine Phosphate anti-wear additive. I wonder why they used this in preference to ZDDP as ZDDP dates from the early years of WWII? Intrigued....

while hanging out in a friends business, auto parts, repairs + engine rebuilding in the 70's i stripped down a small block chevy + filled a 16 oz coffee can with SLUDGE! the owner i never seen before came in + asked how it looked? i asked did you run Pennzoil, he answered YES how did you know!!! not knowing how the engine was maintained or not Pennzoil had that reputation in the PAST!!! hopefully better as i use the platinum in several family vehicles today!!

Yes I've torn down a few 70s small blocks where the sludge in the valve train and the lifter valley was several inches deep. Cars nowadays wouldn't run with this level of sludge.

Would have been interesting to use analysis back in the day to find what oils were really good for keeping your engine clean, and what interval to run them at. Most of those oils from the report, I wouldn't run in a 50 year old lawnmower. Maybe the Amsoil.

Haha my first car (Holden Torana with 161 c.i. 6) had nothing on the dipstick and went full with a half litre...knew something as wrong.

Pulled the sump plug and had to push a screwdriver through the build-up to drain it.

Pulled the rocker cover, and the rockers had their own little trenches in the sludge...two quart icecream container full just in the top end.

Originally Posted by Loobed
Originally Posted by tig1

I think it could on a non GDI / forced induction engine with 6-7 qt capacity with a fram ultra filter. But if by only topping off that may be tough. Having to replace a filter half way through just kills the cost effectiveness if there was any even more. I ran the Fu7317 for over 21000 miles but on two oci.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by Loobed
Originally Posted by tig1

I think it could on a non GDI / forced induction engine with 6-7 qt capacity with a fram ultra filter. But if by only topping off that may be tough. Having to replace a filter half way through just kills the cost effectiveness if there was any even more. I ran the Fu7317 for over 21000 miles but on two oci.

Carbs run pig rich and DI have nothing on a vehicle rich running carb.

Back