SX-UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
We had a request to see the elemental analysis for SX-UP from Specialty Formulations. The elements reported are averaged over 5 different lab reports and rounded.

Please recognize that there is more to SX-UP than just these elements. As per our PDS, we also use many ashless organic compounds (not shown on elemental analysis, of course) and agents such as rust inhibitors, Friction Modifiers, Anti-Oxidants, viscosity index improvers, surfactants, metal deactivators for copper (copper corrosion inhibitors), detergents, dispersants, etc. The base oils are PAO's and esters ("Quad-Esters").

Anything less than 10 ppm was ignored.

Molybdenum - 1400 ppm (Friction Reduction, AW, AO)
Boron - 500 ppm (AW, FM)
Tin - 12 (AW)
Phosphorus - 1500 (AW)
Zinc - 2900 (AW)
Calcium - 4200 (Detergent, AW, FM)
Magnesium - 250 (Detergent)
Silicon - 8 (Anti-foamant), rule violation just for Shannow.
grin.gif

TBN 19.3

KV @100 C - 16.5

This product was originally developed for engine oils in muscle and classic cars from approx. 1955 to about 1980 in order to boost the additive levels of current SF/SH oils to approx. API SD equivalent AW status. The original SD oils had ZDDP levels approximately equivalent to today's HDEO oils.

[ February 01, 2005, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Molakule,
thanks for your openness on your formulations.

would it be any good for boosting PCMOs to HDMO additive levels for some of the Japanese engines that require no better than CF-4, railroading you into PCMO oils for a diesel engine ?

BTW, 8 is less than 10
wink.gif

Also, my Purple Problem Solver turned up yesterday (looks like you had our customs people intreagued...they opened everything)

quote:

would it be any good for boosting PCMOs to HDMO additive levels for some of the Japanese engines that require no better than CF-4, railroading you into PCMO oils for a diesel engine ?

BTW, 8 is less than 10

Also, my Purple Problem Solver turned up yesterday (looks like you had our customs people intreagued...they opened everything)

Your customs or mine? Not suprized.
rolleyes.gif

Well, they will have to do a $500 analysis to see what's in the PPS.

I went ahead and stated the antifoamant level just for you in spite of the rule violation.
grin.gif
See post again after edit.
grin.gif

You can boost any oil with "SUCKS-UP" but you must consider any potential Catalytic Converter issues. However, the P-Z boost is mainly for those hardcore ZDDP watchers, even though we don't use ZDDP's. As I have stated before, there are better (albeit more costly) AW and AO's than ZDDP.

Molakule,
it was our customs people...they take their job very seriously when it's not in container sized quantities.
grin.gif

"sucks up" ? never thought of it that way.

I'm thinking of boosting the AW adds in my PCMO that I'm forced to run in my HDM. Converters not an issue, and these thing run nicely (sans smoke) when the ceramic particulate trap "falls" out.

Hey Mola. What about "sex-up" for the boating community. Seems like marinized automotive engines would be a perfect fit. No cats to worry about here (yet!).

quote:

What kind of moly does this use?

The only kind of moly suitable for internal combustion engines.

quote:

Please recognize that there is more to SX-UP than just these elements. As per our PDS, we also use many ashless organic compounds (not shown on elemental analysis, of course) and agents such as rust inhibitors, Friction Modifiers, Anti-Oxidants, viscosity index improvers, surfactants, metal deactivators for copper (copper corrosion inhibitors), detergents, dispersants, etc. The base oils are PAO's and esters ("Quad-Esters").

Hev,
I don't see why Marine engines wouldn't benefit.

I would work with an oil analyst like Terry Dyson to tweak it for your specific engine.

[ February 01, 2005, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Mola,

Is there an initial dosage you would recommend for a recently built 406 SBC, forged crank, rods pistons, hydraulic flat-tappet cam, Clevite 77 Z-series main and rod, AFR heads, Jesell shaft roller rockers?

The recommended dose for SF level oils is in a ratio of 1:10, one ounce of SX-UP for every 10 ounces of oil.

I am ssuming you will be running a modern oil AND
the engine has been "run-in," so I would start with 1 oz./qt and consult Terry Dyson for tweaking.

It is not advisable to use SX-UP during run-in, since it so darn friction modified (slick).

If you go to the sponsor's page at the top of the Forum Home area you will see the background information.

quote:

Is it advised to use this product in an SL/SM rated product?

As with any supplement, I always recommend working closely with an oil analyst such as Terry Dyson for tweaking you engine/oil combination.

Spring Hill, nice area.

Know where Paris, Tn is located?

quote:

I know where Paris TN is. Beautiful place. But, do us BITOG members get a discount?

I will give you the same answer I gave another member last week:

If and when my base oil suppliers and additve suppliers cease raising my materials prices, and cost's level off, then some time in the future BITOG members will be given a special discount.

In addition, we just went public December 31st '04.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back